Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #101,267 of 149,394
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #101,268 of 149,394
Plastic? Nope.

But soon you'll be able to see what crazy things we can do with steel.

Edit: I should do a longer post, because manufacturing is evolving. 3D printing has advanced to the point of being feasible (and cheaper) for some internal parts. And we'll be exploring what we can do even more with stamping.
I support more steel use! Less aluminum! And go with ultra-deep drawing ultra-low (specify RH degasser) carbon steel that you can only get from 2 (soon to be 3) companies in the USA. /s

Nice to see stamping is making a comeback, I have some of the old fabricating and machining books from my grandfather from the 50s and what they did then compared to what we do now is impressive. Good example is gas welding melting the base metal; now all you see is brazing only melting the filler and arc welding.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #101,269 of 149,394
Plastic? Nope.

But soon you'll be able to see what crazy things we can do with steel.

Edit: I should do a longer post, because manufacturing is evolving. 3D printing has advanced to the point of being feasible (and cheaper) for some internal parts. And we'll be exploring what we can do even more with stamping.
I guess you're indirectly answering my question. :sweat_smile:

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #101,270 of 149,394
I support more steel use! Less aluminum! And go with ultra-deep drawing ultra-low (specify RH degasser) carbon steel that you can only get from 2 (soon to be 3) companies in the USA. /s

Nice to see stamping is making a comeback, I have some of the old fabricating and machining books from my grandfather from the 50s and what they did then compared to what we do now is impressive. Good example is gas welding melting the base metal; now all you see is brazing only melting the filler and arc welding.
Stamping is incredibly freeing when you stop using it like NC and start using it like stamping. The constraints of NC stamping (pay per hole/pay per feature/complex features unfeasible or bad/complex shapes cost big $, etc) and NC milling (pile of chips as big or bigger than the product, machine time cost, pay per time, pay more for complexity, etc) are hard to unlearn.

But...we're learning.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #101,271 of 149,394
On the latest schiit stream the idea of a ragnarok with tube intigration was thrown in. Id love to see this something like the freya plus intigrated into the ragnarok 3 where you can switch between solid state and tube and if not just using lisst so 6sn7. Class A would be great if possible. The minute it launched id find a way to buy it within the week.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #101,272 of 149,394
Was I the only one who envisioned black powder coated components as giving extra ”punch” to the 1812 Overture?
All I know is, despite what @ArmchairPhilosopher says, black looks cool and elegant and I'm glad that I finally got my first black Schiit.

Will it be the last Schiit I ever buy? We all can guess the answer to that question. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #101,273 of 149,394
F5753C61-1D3A-45C0-8E80-964EBB0EB2A1.jpeg

A proper breadboard.😉

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #101,275 of 149,394
Stamping is incredibly freeing when you stop using it like NC and start using it like stamping. The constraints of NC stamping (pay per hole/pay per feature/complex features unfeasible or bad/complex shapes cost big $, etc) and NC milling (pile of chips as big or bigger than the product, machine time cost, pay per time, pay more for complexity, etc) are hard to unlearn.

But...we're learning.
I am willing to bet you are running into issues where the skills and machines to perform the stamping is not as common either anymore, so having the skilled people to help guide design is substantially harder.

Edit:

Seems one of the books passed down is actually available, "Forming and Bending Kaiser Aluminum"

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...kaiser+aluminum&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #101,276 of 149,394
On the latest schiit stream the idea of a ragnarok with tube intigration was thrown in. Id love to see this something like the freya plus intigrated into the ragnarok 3 where you can switch between solid state and tube and if not just using lisst so 6sn7. Class A would be great if possible. The minute it launched id find a way to buy it within the week.
A flexible integrated amp In class A with power tubes would be wonderful but expensive unless one goes for 30 watts per channel.😁 Personally I would never switch to solid state but I am just being truthful.🤪

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #101,278 of 149,394
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #101,279 of 149,394
Oct 17, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #101,280 of 149,394
Unleavened Breadboard. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back