Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #101,251 of 149,185
Oct 17, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #101,252 of 149,185
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #101,253 of 149,185
Edit:
Oh, and by the way? If it were up to Dave, none of Schiit's DACs would come in a case. Dave told us after the stream that he prefers the way the DACs sound "bare", with no metal around them. What he does at home is to just stick some shielding and electrical tape over components that need shielding or electrical insulation (see the power switch in the screenshot above for an example), and that's it. Apparently, this results in a cleaner sound. Or so he says.
A real shame that the FCC, the CPSC, and Schiit's own legal eagles all have other priorities, like "public safety" and other such nonsense.

This is interesting to me. I know there are dacs out there not using metal casing. I wonder if Jason has considered a plastic enclosure. If not for sonics then for cost savings.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #101,254 of 149,185
This is interesting to me. I know there are dacs out there not using metal casing. I wonder if Jason has considered a plastic enclosure. If not for sonics then for cost savings.
I hope not! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #101,255 of 149,185
I'm pretty sure the FCC has a regulation or two that would not allow for a plastic enclosure, at least not in the way I think Dave was suggesting that he prefers his DACs.

If I remember correctly, Jason once mentioned that Gungnir's and Yggy's "vent holes" are just for looks and not functional because of certain gubber-mental shielding requirements for certain electronics. No enclosure ("Dave style") wouldn't comply with that at all, and a plastic case would still require certain components to be shielded. Which, again, would prevent us from enjoying our DACs "Dave style" — since no shielding whatsoever seems to be what he liked about it in the first place.

Or I misunderstood what he meant altogether. That's of course always a possibility. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, and for what it's worth: Plastic isn't necessarily cheaper than metal. The raw materials certainly are, but you'll have to churn out quite a lot of cases before you recoup the massive cost for the molds that you have you pony up upfront. And molds wear out, especially when you use them for fiber reinforced plastics, and replacing them is just as pricy.
Metal actually tends to be cheaper for lower volume runs than plastic is.
Schiit's 5" products are likely high-volume enough to make plastic enclosures cost-effective, but I'm not so sure about the 9" products. The 16" products could actually be cheaper to produce in metal.

Plus, you can't stack your "bare," case-less gear, you'll have to place stuff pretty far apart to avoid interferences because your transformers and inductors are no longer shielded, and "normal" plastics absolutely suck with heat dissipation.

And then let's not forget the personal pride of everyone working at Schiit. I think you'll sooner see a touch screen display on a Schiit product than a plastic enclosure 🤣 — at least for the stackable stuff that's 5" and up.

In short: I don't see plastic be a thing any time soon, if ever. 😊

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #101,256 of 149,185
I have a few small amps I can use with a near field setup and my version of Decware radials. I am working toward finding the space for an EL 34 amp with that system.

My big system is nearby in my home; I find myself using headphones less often. I do use a Bifrost 2 and a Gungnir for now hooked to different computers. If I do use headphones they are Focal Utopias that match up well with a tube amp I designed. 😉

There is some woodworking involved in my speakers and amp cases because I enjoy it.
Now it's even easier to get that Schiit aesthetic. Wood is terribly difficult to anodize, but powder coating is simple. I'm sure @bcowen will be disappointed, but it isn't recommended to powder coat cardboard: it isn't rigid enough and the coating may crack and chip away. Who wants that?

:)

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #101,257 of 149,185
Now it's even easier to get that Schiit aesthetic. Wood is terribly difficult to anodize, but powder coating is simple. I'm sure @bcowen will be disappointed, but it isn't recommended to powder coat cardboard: it isn't rigid enough and the coating may crack and chip away. Who wants that?

:)

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #101,258 of 149,185
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #101,259 of 149,185
Tonight it was dinner out and then some Diana Damrau singing Mozart, Salieri, and Righini. A cd in the transport. My wife’s birthday so her choice of music.😜

Freaking cold here for October so a fire in the wood stove and fine bourbon completes the evening. I have been changing 12AU7 tubes in a power amp and came upon a magical combination. No sense trying to describe some things, when it is right you just know it.😀😀

Naturally Finnegan is here enjoying the sound.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #101,260 of 149,185
Are we still posting lyrics? We have a playlist at Casa del Roy that has funny blues lyrics.
The songwriter is Mose Allison but we prefer the Taj Mahal version -

You sittin' here and yakkin' right in my face
You comin' on exactly like you own the place
You know if silence was golden
You couldn't raise a dime
Because your mind is on vacation and your mouth is workin' overtime

You quotin' figures and droppin' names
You tellin' stories and playing games
You're overlaughin' when things ain't funny
You tryin' to sound like the big money
You know if talk was criminal
You'd lead a life of crime

You know that life is short
Talk is cheap
Don't be makin' promises that you can't keep
You don't like this little song I'm singin'
Just grin and bear it
All I can say is if the shoe fits wear it
If you must keep talkin'
Please try to make it rhyme

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #101,262 of 149,185
I could quote some David Allan Coe lyrics, but I think they would get me banned from this site...! 😁
He did a song written by Steve Goodman. You Never Even Call me by my Name, meant as a satirical country song with a dog, prison, a truck, drinking, his mother, and a lost love….as best I recall.🤪🤪

I do listen to Slaid Cleaves, I do enjoy his lyrics.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #101,263 of 149,185
Plastic? Nope.

But soon you'll be able to see what crazy things we can do with steel.

Edit: I should do a longer post, because manufacturing is evolving. 3D printing has advanced to the point of being feasible (and cheaper) for some internal parts. And we'll be exploring what we can do even more with stamping.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #101,264 of 149,185
Tonight it was dinner out and then some Diana Damrau singing Mozart, Salieri, and Righini. A cd in the transport. My wife’s birthday so her choice of music.😜

Freaking cold here for October so a fire in the wood stove and fine bourbon completes the evening. I have been changing 12AU7 tubes in a power amp and came upon a magical combination. No sense trying to describe some things, when it is right you just know it.😀😀

Naturally Finnegan is here enjoying the sound.
DD IS the Queen of the Night. Check it out......

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #101,265 of 149,185
I could quote some David Allan Coe lyrics, but I think they would get me banned from this site...! 😁
Go for it :).

The lyrics are a little dark, but I laughed out loud when I first heard Irene Reid's "One Eyed Man".

If you see my one eyed man, please send him home
If you see my one eyed man, please send him home
You see, I haven’t had a peaceful night since my one eyed man’s been gone
When I had that one eyed man, I didn’t know just what I had
People, when I had that one eyed man, I didn’t know just what I had
I used to treat him so mean, I used to treat him oh so bad
Now, I used to pick a fight just to see that one eyed man cry
I used to pick a fight just to see that one eyed man cry
Girl I used to think it was so funny to see him crying out one eye
One thing I can say about him that one eyed man sho’ looked out for me
One thing I can say about him that one eyed man sho’ looked out for me

He didn’t believe nothing he heard and only half of what he see