Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #99,826 of 149,688
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #99,827 of 149,688
OK, my Vidar report. I've had it a few weeks. My prior amps are two 1960-ish rebuilt Magnavox tube amps. I was and am happy with them. Speakers are Klipsch Heresy from 1983 but with some new components (drivers are original). Input is a CD player, Modi 3 and a Saga + with a vintage RCA 6SN7 tube. Although happy with the Magnavox amps it seems like, in 2022, I ought to have a solid state amp. I think solid state is here to stay.

I do not blind test. I listen to entire CD's. I do not level match. Between CD's I turn the Saga down to "Zero" and then turn it up until I am happy. So if the Vidar is slightly louder or slightly softer than the Magnavox amp I am being fair to each - they are both running at the volume that makes me happy. I do not purposely draw conclusions the first day, but I remember first impressions. Sometimes I later reject them.

Most testing is done with Frank Sinatra or Carlos Santana. I test subwoofers with The Oak Ridge Boys and Black Eyed Peas, but I am not using a sub right now.

I am new to this audiophile stuff, although I had a fairly decent system in college decades ago, I came back during Covid.

Impressions of the Vidar - I can "hear" the higher power, despite listening at moderate levels. I do not know how to quantify this but it sounds more "solid." I noticed the same effect when I rolled a 6SN7 into a Schiit Vali 2+, more "solid." It is not a night and day, "Wow this is better", it is just a sense of solidity. There is more "there" there. I expect that if I had a noisy party the Vidar would rule. The Heresy speakers can get loud, I simply do not need loud. The sense of "solidity" increases as I move farther back from the speakers.

The biggest difference, ironically, is in Frank Sinatra's drums. I am a drummer and I have recorded drums. Recorded drums never sound like the originals. The best you can do is record them so that they sound good. Frank's drums sound good on both amplifiers, but they sound different. Carlos Santana's drums also sound different, but the difference is less. As I write this I am listening to "Everybody's Everything" and I am surprised how great the drums sound - I'm listening to the Vidar but they sound excellent on the tube amps as well.

Santana's organist sounds noticeably different. Santana's guitar sounds excellent on both amps, again remember that I play at moderate levels.

I intend to keep comparing for a year or so. Or forever. I am very happy with the Vidar. Cost was not a lot more than a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp. You should have one of each. I'm really busy with yardwork and my paying job right now. I need to dedicate a Saturday morning and listen to both tube amps and Vidar and ignore everything but vocals. I'll probably stay with Sinatra for vocals but remove Santana and add Karen Carpenter.

Tyr has not called to me yet. that is a lot of money for a hobby, to me. I'd love to hear one. I love the Vidar. If you hate the hassles of tube amps (I own two because one is a backup) and do not need to break the walls with heavy metal I think you will find the Vidar to be a great amp.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #99,828 of 149,688
Not a fan of video reviews. With only one or two exceptions, I find the "hosts" off-putting, to say the least.
It also takes them way too long to convey actual facts.
All too often what started out fun becomes more an exercise in trying too hard to become what I call a "Sinfluencer". But I under stand that nothing in life is free and there is nothing wrong in being paid for one's work. As I recently told a motobike shop, I will happily give you my business so long as you never give me the business.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #99,829 of 149,688
OK, my Vidar report. I've had it a few weeks. My prior amps are two 1960-ish rebuilt Magnavox tube amps. I was and am happy with them. Speakers are Klipsch Heresy from 1983 but with some new components (drivers are original). Input is a CD player, Modi 3 and a Saga + with a vintage RCS 6SN7 tube. Although happy with the Magnavox amps it seems like, in 2022, I ought to have a solid state amp. I think solid state is here to stay.

I do not blind test. I listen to entire CD's. I do not level match. Between CD's I turn the Saga down to "Zero" and then turn it up until I am happy. So if the Vidar is slightly louder or slightly softer than the Magnavox amp I am being fair to each - they are both running at the volume that makes me happy. I do not purposely draw conclusions the first day, but I remember first impressions. Sometimes I later reject them.

Most testing is done with Frank Sinatra or Carlos Santana. I test subwoofers with The Oak Ridge Boys and Black Eyed Peas, but I am not using a sub right now.

I am new to this audiophile stuff, although I had a fairly decent system in college decades ago, I came back during Covid.

Impressions of the Vidar - I can "hear" the higher power, despite listening at moderate levels. I do not know how to quantify this but it sounds more "solid." I noticed the same effect when I rolled a 6SN7 into a Schiit Vali 2+, more "solid." It is not a night and day, "Wow this is better", it is just a sense of solidity. There is more "there" there. I expect that if I had a noisy party the Vidar would rule. The Heresy speakers can get loud, I simply do not need loud. The sense of "solidity" increases as I move farther back from the speakers.

The biggest difference, ironically, is in Frank Sinatra's drums. I am a drummer and I have recorded drums. Recorded drums never sound like the originals. The best you can do is record them so that they sound good. Frank's drums sound good on both amplifiers, but they sound different. Carlos Santana's drums also sound different, but the difference is less. As I write this I am listening to "Everybody's Everything" and I am surprised how great the drums sound - I'm listening to the Vidar but they sound excellent on the tube amps as well.

Santana's organist sounds noticeably different. Santana's guitar sounds excellent on both amps, again remember that I play at moderate levels.

I intend to keep comparing for a year or so. Or forever. I am very happy with the Vidar. Cost was not a lot more than a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp. You should have one of each. I'm really busy with yardwork and my paying job right now. I need to dedicate a Saturday morning and listen to both tube amps and Vidar and ignore everything but vocals. I'll probably stay with Sinatra for vocals but remove Santana and add Karen Carpenter.

Tyr has not called to me yet. that is a lot of money for a hobby, to me. I'd love to hear one.
You had me at "Klipsch Heresy" and sealed my admiration with "Sinatra". Superb! And I am known to enjoy some Santana on occasion!

Karen Carpenter..."Sigh".

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #99,830 of 149,688
67C5DAAF-1CDE-4E2D-B3B1-59DB1CBB5A90.jpeg1D04CED2-6309-453F-A6EB-DF29AD717B47.jpeg

And so the setup begins.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #99,831 of 149,688
Thank you for the recommendation. My mom would "cross the tracks" in Missouri as a young girl to listen to the Blues. Like Bluegrass, the Blues fill me to satisfaction in a couple of hours. But then like Chinese food, I will soon be hungry for more. I am listening to "The Red Elvises" right now. The song is "200 Flying Girls". :ksc75smile:

Some more talented persons whom I enjoy are Mel Carter and Tommy Edwards. And of course Brook Benton. Damn...I am getting old(er).

ORT The Ancient
Oh, wow! For years I lived within a couple miles of Schiit. Our neighbourhood used to have summer concerts at a small stage surrounded by restaurants and other eateries. The Red Elvises were regulars every summer!

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #99,832 of 149,688
Not a fan of video reviews. With only one or two exceptions, I find the "hosts" off-putting, to say the least.
It also takes them way too long to convey actual facts.

To me it seems, most video reviews are simply no more than un-boxing videos, which never discuss how something sounds...! If nothing else, set up a stationary microphone, and let me listen for myself, without the incessant ramblings, that convey nothing. 🙃

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #99,834 of 149,688
It's amazing how quickly a kitty can find and claim an empty cardboard box. They be part @bcowen...! 🤣
The box was not quite empty yet. He also dove into a large box of classical CD's, got a packing peanut, and left. Finnegan also has a fascination for rubber bands. :ksc75smile:

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #99,835 of 149,688
It's amazing how quickly a kitty can find and claim an empty cardboard box. They be part @bcowen...! 🤣
I think there's a New Yorker cartoon that shows a cat ordering from Amazon.
The caption is the cat saying to its buddy, "You get one free with every order."

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #99,836 of 149,688
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #99,840 of 149,688
Trust me Finnegan wanted to help bad lol. I have already unloaded the van, returned it with a full tank of gas and gave the rental place a wallet we found in the seat while cleaning it out. I mentioned I took photos of the info and hinted I would eventually get in touch with the college student to be sure she received the cash that was inside. Chances are she replaced everything else.

Now I start setting up equipment and I do not need decorating tips or pointers lol. I talked my son into taking one of these but I still had to unload one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314115239137?hash=item4922ba2ce1:g:nOYAAOSw3uljAYX5&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4PWmoRYjTLrfPGxlAT7s2XIE3Bni7BG+2hY5wmGQ6fIertLbB2lskswjSzW+qZtOtkfhNSshi9lyvRqszbK0Pdp6+cB+9cmlToUYeNubJLG1GrU0U0TMPHCOylWopJusu2FojM4U8ES2Ip1VWbEcAW8KVw3L+UwCWcQxrP0TkLSZ4hamszmv4LXA3K0CTpQdWE4HIwS2MUKzZjwifUbz04mmKD+n7JYt70NBsCWck2dKEDKwbnYYLxqiAemZ6X560Ip9Ufrxy9/9enkOS6D8E5Eg2JUaleUVQ5rLaLIcxWzC|tkp:BFBMlNPtuulg

Today and tomorrow will be spent going through some goodies I received.F846C878-B7FA-425D-973F-940D70B59CCA.jpeg
Looks as though you obtained some really nice boxed CD collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back