Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #99,796 of 145,768
I’m in the market for a pair of closed headphones and was wondering if someone in their 60’s needs to worry about cans that are perceived as bright. I think I hear pretty well even if my wife doesn’t agree so I’m only assuming I have normal age related hearing loss. So the broad question is how much an old fahrt should take into consideration brightness? Sure, try something and make up one’s own mind but I don’t have the luxury of traveling for listening sessions so relying on sifting through reviews is a big part of my decision making. I have been intrigued by the new closed Sundara but there’s little to go on so far.
My ears (also in their 60s) look for neutral to warm, and avoid bright. Don’t honestly know if my hearing loss is normal or weird, though. I have Sundara open, and the closed cans I like are my Dan Clark Aeon RT and Ether CX, both of which are neutral. I also like (true confession here) the darn Meze 99s (I have Drop’s noir version). They’re the most fun $200 I’ve spent (in audio). They’re overly bassy, but toe-tappingly fun. I’ll ‘fess up to calming the bass with one of the Lokis, but those headphones make me smile, when I’m just listening for fun.

Agree it’s early days on Sundara closed, but I‘m interested to read more about them. I like the open version a lot! But hearing? I only know what I like, not what frequencies are at a deficit for me… HTH

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #99,798 of 145,768
All of the above.

But since you mentioned charcuterie boards…

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
So I just found a new artist that is ****ing amazing and thought that I would share and see if anyone has anything along the same lines to share back. I am listening to Zoe Keating - Into the Trees. I'm smitten!!! Flying and Flocking is particularly special...

Oh, and listing to this kind of music, I love my Zu's driven by my Lyr 3 and Aegir more every day.
Thank you for this! The album is on Bandcamp, and I’ll be listening tonight!

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #99,799 of 145,768
With a name like King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard", it's got to be good.

And if you like Blues/Swing, with a small 8-piece backing band, I present Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers,

Attachments

• 0CE7A032-247E-4E0F-9CB4-2FD376025ECE.jpeg
    0CE7A032-247E-4E0F-9CB4-2FD376025ECE.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #99,800 of 145,768
Schiit happens!

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #99,801 of 145,768
I need a suggestion here…. ESS 9028 add in card for the Jot1 vs AKM add in card (what I have now unfortunately is usb gen 5) vs a modius what is the way to go?
Modius better choice... more voltage

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #99,802 of 145,768
I’m in the market for a pair of closed headphones and was wondering if someone in their 60’s needs to worry about cans that are perceived as bright. I think I hear pretty well even if my wife doesn’t agree so I’m only assuming I have normal age related hearing loss. So the broad question is how much an old fahrt should take into consideration brightness? Sure, try something and make up one’s own mind but I don’t have the luxury of traveling for listening sessions so relying on sifting through reviews is a big part of my decision making. I have been intrigued by the new closed Sundara but there’s little to go on so far.
Wait…Did you mean “age-related hearing loss” or “spousal-related male hearing loss”? Two REALLY different things there, y’know…

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #99,803 of 145,768
Modius better choice... more voltage
I need a suggestion here…. ESS 9028 add in card for the Jot1 vs AKM add in card (what I have now unfortunately is usb gen 5) vs a modius what is the way to go?
OG Modius, AKM. I’ve tried both the Modius E and AKM OG. More detail on the E, more musical on the AKM. Take your pick. For me I prefer the AKM ever so slightly, and I prefer sabre for most other dacs. Bifrost 2 and multibit trounces them all.

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #99,804 of 145,768
Picpoul Blanc and Viognier! I love the lesser known/made French whites. Tannat is fantastic as well (although not white).
We were in the Okanagan September 4-8,

Lots of great Viogniers, Riselings, and blends... I know it is "wrong", but I like blends...

Glad temperatures have started to cool down so I can bust out my reds...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #99,805 of 145,768
18650 and 2170 are form factors. 18mm x 65mm and 21mm x 70mm respectively. Actual battery chemistries used in the batteries can vary widely and are tailored to the target use. Modern EV batteries are highly specialized. There are also non-cylindrical form factors used in EVs.

4680 (46mm x 80mm) is the latest form being pioneered by Tesla.

One can find more information than one will know what to do with at The Limiting Factor
very interesting link, but I don't have that much spare time right now (next project is some DIY interconnects with Grimm TPR and DH SilverSonic bulk wire, of which prepping the ends is more time consuming than the actual soldering.)

warning: thread "de-rail" (if that's actually possible) ahead...

when shopping for portable li-ion power and yard maintenance tools a few years back, I looked into the Li-Ion technology at that time (the right batteries were the key to longevity) but haven't dug into it much since. yes, actual early battery chemistries like Lithium-Iron-Phosphate, LiFePO4 as used in cells made by A123 for the Chevy Volt etc. have been phased out for other cell designs using carbon (graphite) for one electrode, and Li/Ni/Mn/Co compounds for the other electrode. some portable power tool makers (brand D yellow&black vs brand M red etc...) used slightly oversized (and non-standard) 19650, 19660, etc. cells in order to reach the Ah capacity numbers driven by marketing requirements.

a recent web search located a 2018 White Paper using a multi-electrode test cell (other electrodes used to run current thru an internal nickel layer to heat the cell / monitor its internal temperature via changes in the resistance of the nickel layer) to prevent lithium plating when charged at high rates under low temperatures as one might find in European winters) but it looks like the 4680 has only two contacts, or is the casing electrically isolated from the circular contacts at each cell end?

Looks like Tesla continues to develop and manufacture its own batteries, hopefully improving energy density, cell life. Recycling, metals recovery of spent cells (both the 4680's and older (possibly non-tesla) units which might be nearing end-of-life would also decrease the environmental impacts caused by mining of new raw materials like Cobalt and Manganese.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #99,806 of 145,768
Respect, that's exactly what I needed this extremely tired evening. I have other Gidon Kremer recordings, but I had missed this one. And I'm a Glass fanatic.
Update: What an amazing recording! Makes the crazy (non-Schiit, sorry) gear worth it: Roon>HQPlayer>Holo Spring 2 KTE>DNA Stellaris Special>ZMF Atrium LTD koa.

PXL_20220917_053039137.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #99,807 of 145,768
Sep 17, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #99,808 of 145,768
"Bright" could well be a bump above 6kHz, which you'll most likely hear (I'm a bit older and I would). My current lower-cost pick that performs amazingly well: ETA Mini Closed. Not shy in the higher frequencies, but not bright IMO. My cost-does-not-matter favorites: ZMF Verité Closed. Maximum impact under $1K, need a muscular amp: Æon 2 Closed. None sound bright to me.

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #99,809 of 145,768
I've also heard recommended that you use the +Side High Input along with the -Side Low Input. Supposed to sound better (for whatever reason)? Something about the signal following a natural flow to ground. As long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. Simple enough to try as well. 😁
Hello @StimpyWan - I have tried it. In my esteemed opinion, it sounds exactly the same as it did with both cables attached to the HF posts.

IMG_2017.jpeg

Sorry, I was hoping for a better result. :D

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #99,810 of 145,768
Hello @StimpyWan - I have tried it. In my esteemed opinion, it sounds exactly the same as it did with both cables attached to the HF posts.

Sorry, I was hoping for a better result. :D

should have said it sounded best HF- and LF+ :ksc75smile:

any impressions of octo-quad vs the canare 4s11?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back