Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #97,533 of 149,552
My original point as well. Whereas I did not purchase the Bifrost 2 days before (actually 2 months), I was inquiring due to the fact that my "new" Bifrost 2 will end up costing me more with card than getting a new one (699+300) 999 vs a 2/64 799. I was asking what the policy is for something like this. Was informed the 15 day return has passed...so sorry.

Almost any purchase comes with risks. If we always think we have to wait for the latest-n-greatest, we'd never buy anything. 🤪

This also questions....what did they do with the old stock Bifrost 2...just add the card and call it a 2/64?

If it uses the same chassis and mainboard, why not? 😉

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #97,535 of 149,552
This also questions....what did they do with the old stock Bifrost 2...just add the card and call it a 2/64?
I assume so. The rest of the Bifrost2 would still be the same - except the firmware of course.

Remaining stock of completed BF2 with the old card could possibly go for cheaper on the closeout deals page.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #97,536 of 149,552
Understood, however maybe just a heads up that a new model might be coming soon when considering purchase

Well, in Schiit's defense, they do like surprises. Not much fun if @Jason Stoddard announces 2 months ahead of time, a new DAC card is coming at the end of July. Just don't tell anyone. 🤣

Not picking. I know it's frustrating. But, your BF2 is still new and a great DAC. Enjoy it as is. Down the road, upgrade it if there's still a desire to do so? You might not want to? After all, we have Yggy OG, LIM, and MIL. Why not the same options for BF? 😃

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #97,537 of 149,552
Indeed.
Is that even with the FV in comparison?
Folkvangr is great, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Mjolnir 2 in terms of punch, definition, stage, and clarity.
Folkvangr is the LMP1 prototype among headphone amps; it does one job (hooking you up right to the tubes), and it does it exceptionally well. But outside of a racetrack it's just not all that practical.
Mjolnir 2 is the Bentley Continental GT among headphone amps; it's a timeless allrounder that's punching ten times above its weight, and it'll never let you down, no matter what road you're on.
Do you have any ZMF headphoes on the MJ2?
No.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #97,538 of 149,552
Well, in Schiit's defense, they do like surprises. Not much fun if @Jason Stoddard announces 2 months ahead of time, a new DAC card is coming at the end of July. Just don't tell anyone. 🤣

Not picking. I know it's frustrating. But, your BF2 is still new and a great DAC. Enjoy it as is. Down the road, upgrade it if there's still a desire to do so? You might not want to? After all, we have Yggy OG, LIM, and MIL. Why not the same options for BF? 😃

True and thank you.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #97,539 of 149,552
My original point as well. Whereas I did not purchase the Bifrost 2 days before (actually 2 months), I was inquiring due to the fact that my "new" Bifrost 2 will end up costing me more with card than getting a new one (699+300) 999 vs a 2/64 799. I was asking what the policy is for something like this. Was informed the 15 day return has passed...so sorry.

Seeing how many products are out days or even weeks for availability, I would assume they simply let themselves run out of stock immediately prior to announcing. I have a Bifrost 2 - love it, it certainly doesn't sound any worse, but then I also have a Yggy GS with original card.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #97,540 of 149,552
Indeed.

Folkvangr is great, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Mjolnir 2 in terms of punch, definition, stage, and clarity.
Folkvangr is the LMP1 prototype among headphone amps; it does one job (hooking you up right to the tubes), and it does it exceptionally well. But outside of a racetrack it's just not all that practical.
Mjolnir 2 is the Bentley Continental GT among headphone amps; it's a timeless allrounder that's punching ten times above its weight, and it'll never let you down, no matter what road you're on.

No.

Did they ever make these in Black?...I cannot remember. Gonna look for one second hand

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #97,541 of 149,552
Did they ever make these in Black?
1659634541755.png

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #97,543 of 149,552
Indeed.

No.
The Bentley Continental GT is regarded as a 'footballer's car' here in the UK, and that is not a compliment.:beyersmile:

I'll take my chances with a thoroughbred- the Folkvangr. :relaxed:

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #97,544 of 149,552
The Bentley Continental GT is regarded as a 'footballer's car' here in the UK, and that is not a compliment.:beyersmile:
🙄
Replace the car that I mentioned with any grand tourer that you happen to like. I don't care, because the car itself wasn't the point.
You're a smart guy, I'm sure you still get the actual point I was trying to make, regardless. 😎
I'll take my chances with a thoroughbred- the Folkvangr.
OK, I apparently didn't get my point across after all…
There's no "taking chances" here. Folkvangr is great. Best OTL&OCL amp money can buy on the planet. Period.
But it's a one trick pony. The best one trick pony of its kind, mind you, but it's still a one trick pony. If that one trick happens to be the trick that you were looking for, then there's no better amp for you, and I'm truly glad you've got one of the 240-something that are out there. 😊
As am I, by the way. I'm not selling mine, that's for sure.

But for anything else, as an everyday, low-maintenance allrounder, Mjolnir 2 still wins, and does so without breaking a sweat.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better about your Folkvangr purchase; Mjolnir 2 absolutely suuuuuuucks at being an OTL&OCL amp, so there you go. 🤣

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #97,545 of 149,552
True and thank you.
The other thing to consider is that they don't want a bunch of old stock sitting around, especially if it has come back and they can only get b stock prices for it. That is stuff that Schiit have made, they have spent the money. They need to recoup the costs. If they give everyone a heads up before announcing an upgrade, they will never sell the old stock. That is also part of the way that they keep prices low, it's good business practice. At the end of the day, the BF2 was still great value. As is the upgrade. If it had been another company, you would have to buy a completely new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back