Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 3, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #97,501 of 145,682
When directly comparing the two:

B1 - Slower. Less detailed and resolving. More linear of the two but still has a lower mid/bass bump. More euphonic. Warmer. Easier to listen to in the background. Sounds great. Easier on the ears using headphones. May be too relaxed for some. I prefer B1 for headphone use.

B2 - Faster. More detailed and resolving. Wider FR&Staging. Upper mid/lower treble bump. More fleshed out and engaging bass that can still slam when called upon. Sounds great. Might be too sharp for some. I prefer B2 for speaker use.

Pick your poison. These boards have some pronounced sound differences that could make or break the synergy in your system. I'd wager that the future secondhand market for Bifrost 2 owners with both boards will demand a high price. Another poster had mentioned $100, I'd value the OG board at $250 - the original card is no slouch and has it's own strengths.
I have Arya Stealth and planning to get Bifrost 2/64 and Jotunheim 2/Lyr+ combo for it. And your impressions making me have second thoughts. Will this be too fatiguing hp and dacamp combo?

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #97,502 of 145,682
I have Arya Stealth and planning to get Bifrost 2/64 and Jotunheim 2/Lyr+ combo for it. And your impressions making me have second thoughts. Will this be too fatiguing hp and dacamp combo?
I think the Lyr+ would be a home run. Don't take my word for the end all be all, my ears are sensitive.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #97,503 of 145,682
The boomer generation is giving the post genx kids a garbage dump that is going to heat up and destroy civilization within a few decades. But yeah, boomers mowed their lawns.
I get what you are saying, but in my experience it's older folk that ♻️ recycle more than 40 and under people. Don't get me wrong, they do bitch about the environment more but they'll be damned if they'll lift a finger to help.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #97,504 of 145,682
I think the Lyr+ would be a home run. Don't take my word for the end all be all, my ears are sensitive.
I have the OG Arya and love it with my OG BF2 and OG Lyr 3. The OG Arya boasted a greater HF peak than the 2nd gen and Stealth versions, so I honestly believe you'd be very happy. YMMV, of course, but I think it's a pretty safe bet. :wink:

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #97,506 of 145,682
I ordered the Bifrost upgrade last Saturday with a 4-6 week delay. Got a shipping notice today from Sage orders@instacct.com instead of order@schiit.com. How long has Schiit been using Sage accounting services? Does the product ship direct from Schiit or from a Sage warehouse?
Yes, my notice was the same from yesterday....I did not see that until now....

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #97,507 of 145,682
Honestly, I don't blame them for taking that stance. As closely as they work with their customer base, they have to draw a hard line somewhere. If they don't, then this issue will reoccur each time they release a d/a card upgrade. We're fortunate enough have the upgradability as it stands.
Yeah, the line has to be somewhere, and having at just a flat no seems a lot easier than giving a discount if you ordered within x days before the release (“we’ll why not x+1”, etc.). It’s frustrating, I definitely would have waited a bit longer, but that’s how it goes. I now have an endgame (for me) DAC that is upgradeable and I’ll be able to hold onto for a long time.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #97,508 of 145,682
I ordered the Bifrost upgrade last Saturday with a 4-6 week delay. Got a shipping notice today from Sage orders@instacct.com instead of order@schiit.com. How long has Schiit been using Sage accounting services? Does the product ship direct from Schiit or from a Sage warehouse?
Yes, a little while ago. The first time I saw that was when my Folkvangr shipped. They should still be shipping from their own warehouse, though, as far as I can tell.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #97,510 of 145,682
Yes, a little while ago. The first time I saw that was when my Folkvangr shipped. They should still be shipping from their own warehouse, though, as far as I can tell.
I was slightly concerned since the last thing I ordered was in February and it was using orders@schiit.com. Additionally the this new email had a FedEx number, unlinked, that FedEx didn't know about. Paypal had debited my account but my bank hadn't registered the transaction. I was worried it was another "Your Amazon accont has been frozen. Please send info." type scams again.

Thanks for the verification that all is in order. It's enough I might not like the changes the Bifrost update brings to add another change to vex me.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #97,511 of 145,682
Yeah, the line has to be somewhere, and having at just a flat no seems a lot easier than giving a discount if you ordered within x days before the release (“we’ll why not x+1”, etc.). It’s frustrating, I definitely would have waited a bit longer, but that’s how it goes. I now have an endgame (for me) DAC that is upgradeable and I’ll be able to hold onto for a long time.

Yep...no harm in asking.

I faced a similar situation with the Bifrost OG; ended up keeping it and passing on the Bifrost 2. Saved some coin and am 'none the worse for the wear' :wink:

It's currently in a bedroom listening station paired with an Asgard 3...faithfully pumping out awesome tunes when called upon. Used the savings to purchase more music!

That said, I may have to consider the Bifrost 2/64, given the new technology; problem is I'd have to get a Lyr 3+ to pair with it!
1659554633633.png

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #97,512 of 145,682
As much as I like my Bifrost 2's sound signature, it really doesn't image all that well. It has the most closed-in sounding sound stage of all the DACs that I own.
By which I mean to say: Bifrost isn't the best DAC to judge multibit by. My Gumby and Yggy OG both blow Bifrost (as well as Modius and other DS DACs) completely out the water in absolute all aspects.
Yes, Yggy OG is a steeeeeeeep step up in price compared to Bifrost, but oh my god, it is so worth it. As far as Schiit power amps and DACs are concerned, the law of diminishing returns does not apply.
I was recently fortunate enough to try the Yggy. I understand what you are saying. Interestingly, my BF2/64 card arrived today and when I started listening, your comments came to mind and, after 20 minutes of searching, I found them. This really is stunningly good and it has not only opened up, but the details are amazing. Slightly brighter than before, but not oppressively bright.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #97,513 of 145,682
I received the same notice last week. It was Sage as well. Not sure how long they've been using them, but it worked for me!

Leo

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #97,514 of 145,682
Shipping e-waste around the country to be more environmentally friendly is a new one for me. Your Best Buy, local town/county e-waste seems the way to go at present. Better yet, not consuming e-waste products in the first place empowers one. Skinnning some roadkill to make a drum to play in your yurt and learning to whistle might cleanse one of their angst, or positing what other people might do may be easier. Finding out boomers invented the lawn was a revelation though.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #97,515 of 145,682
Grass lawns.
When we built our duplex, the city said we should plant at least one tree on each side... we planted 20 trees (including the 10 small hedge trees).

Millennial neighbor's duplex on right... 2 tiny trees

Millennial neighbor's duplex on left... 2 trees

We have tons of flowers and bushes and vegetables visited by dragonflies 🐉 and 🐝 bees and spiders 🕷, etc.

Millennial neighbors... nada

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back