Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #94,216 of 151,314
Two thoughts on this:
a) Publicly posting something that was sent to you in a private message without the other party's consent is … a highly questionable interpretation of forum etiquette, let's just put it like that.
b) If you really feel the need to go down that road, at least have the decency to post the whole thing instead of cherry-picking a sentence or two that you think support your position.

And with this, I'll leave it to the rest of the thread to judge whether this is worth any further debate. I think I've said everything I need.
I know you would react exactly like this. People like you have no clue about decency.
Publicly posting something that is highly questionable is perfect etiquette. More so because I know you send these kind of PM's to others too.
Mind yourself and don't make yourself that easy target you're doing now.
I don't care for any so called justice from you or anyone in this thread. You're making this all about your own hurt feelings.
Grow up. Leave people be. You are not judge nor jury here.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #94,218 of 151,314
Alright, I know that you like to be a bit more on the edgy side of things, but now you're just screwing with us. Since when does stuff like "sound" matter in audio gear?! Fancy-a$$ enclosures, shiny VU meters, and blue LEDs that can be seen from the surface of Mars is what sells this stuff. Add a plinth the weight of a small Volkswagen and you've got yourself a timeless winner.
Pah, "sound"… That's just too funny! 🤣
You describe exactly how I experienced the information posted by most "professional" reviewers about HEM and the way audio is developing.

Most "reviews" go something like this (and sadly I'm not joking):
Have you see it? Have you seen that price? It is designed by XYZ and ABC. Have you seen the size? Have you seen the price? It has super blah, extra plus blah and more.
No, I haven't heard it , but man what a gear. I love to have it.
He forgot to mention, only if they send it to him for free and he can sell it off after the review. I'll write anything you want if you send it, please.

The topper of the comments on HEM was a about a half a million dollars MBL system. The reviewer stated: "At least I haven't heard anybody that stated it sounded like A$$"
That is a great result for that kind of pricing.

High End is more and more becoming a freak show for sheiks who already have a garage full of super cars.

Oh, and about all that fancy multi channel TV stuff.
Stereo was invented for the movies to make sure the sound of the actors voice was not coming from the wrong side of the screen.
See this very impressive demonstration video

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #94,219 of 151,314
Anyone hear any news on Fólkvangr?

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #94,222 of 151,314
it is about SOUND.
No schitt? I thought it was about both, but I liked neither. So it’s back on the truck. Thought the Lokius narrowed the SOUNDstage.

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #94,223 of 151,314
Meanwhile, a musical interlude to redress the balance of appropriateness.

Andrew
BC95A86F-9074-4C24-88F1-F1F9B5A1972D.jpeg

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #94,224 of 151,314
Hi guys,
I've been absent from headfi for the last few months, is there any news about Schiit Gungnir's with the newer chassis design? still have my Bifrost 2, but thinking about upgrading it.
Cheers
I’m also looking towards getting a Gungnir, and would definitely like it with the Bifrost2-type chassis design. I might have missed something, but of all the talk about new stuff I’ve read I haven’t seen anything regarding Gungnir.
However, should there be a Gungnir renewal I would think there would be more than just the chassis that would be renewed, and if that should be anytime soon, combined with the shortages of Analog Devices stuff currently, a move to TI chips would be likely. If that is preferable or not I don’t know, as I haven’t heard them, but I do know that I like the AD sound of my Bifrost2.

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #94,226 of 151,314
Yeah, I'll take the Urd hit.

But I'd really like to know why they still call them "AV receivers"? Are we still living in the 1970s? Is one of the device's primary functions to receive FM and AM radio? This bugs me to no end.

I'm terms of hours logged, I use the FM tuner section of my A/V receiver more hours a day than the "V" part of A/V.

And sometimes I cast music to it from my computer/phone/tablet.

So yes, one of its primary functions is to receive FM (or Wi-Fi or bluetooth) radio.

"Receiver" seems to me to be a fully appropriate description.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #94,227 of 151,314
I hear cassette tapes are back in demand. Can you imagine a Schiit tape player?
That would be awesome. I wonder what such a ting would be called though?
Like an URD but for tapes.
A Tape-URD..
Oh.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #94,228 of 151,314
That would be awesome. I wonder what such a ting would be called though?
Like an URD but for tapes.
A Tape-URD..
Oh.
lol. Nicely done. :beerchug:

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #94,229 of 151,314
What's the replacement terminology? Emotiva uses "processor", I guess that's accurate but somehow not very appealing.

We!l, processor seems to me to be too specific. It's also a source switcher, or what we quaintly call a pre-amp.

I did use to call my Emotiva UMX-200 a pre-pro, for preamp-processor. But it was a bit of a pain in use because I needed an external tuner with it, and an extra box(es) for amplification. Also, when I downsized to my modest condo it was just impractical.

I replaced it with a Denon A/V receiver that, as with ye olde receivers of yore, had a power amp built in.

Which, to summarise, is a preamp, a power amp, a signal processor, a DAC, a phono stage, and a tuner that receives AM, FM, bluetooth, and Wi-Fi radio signals, as well as a video switcher/upscaler all in one box.

There may be a better phrase for this all-in-one jack of all trades than receiver, but I don't know what it is. Words change meaning over time, and previously a receiver was a two-channel all-in-one box, so we distinguish it from its newer sibling, the A/V receiver.

Everyone knows what I mean when I say it, and I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #94,230 of 151,314
1. I cannot remember the last time I listened to either AM or FM at home or it sounding "good" on a receiver.

Here in Alberta we have the blessing of CKUA-FM, as well as the CBC. In Calgary we've also got the college station CJSW-FM.

All three are mostly ad-free, and what few ads appear are pretty unobtrusive.

I log at least 6 hours a day of FM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back