Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #94,051 of 154,081
Balsa wood would be easier to work with. I was considering gluing together wine bottle corks but I have not figured out how to get him to pay for a truck load of French wine. :ksc75smile:
Cork has really nice acoustical dampening properties.... Might not be a bad choice.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #94,052 of 154,081
Cork has really nice acoustical dampening properties.... Might not be a bad choice.
I also keep it around as a way to trim burrs off of knife blades after final sharpening but that is another story. :ksc75smile:

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #94,053 of 154,081
I've got some old shipping pallets that I'll donate for the cause...! 😇
My sister-in-law's neighbor (in VT) cornered the market on those to make his barn. Very attractive! (not!)

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #94,055 of 154,081
I am just a hobbyist with some woodworking and metal working tools and a bit of knowledge in specific fields. :beerchug:

Hmmm...feels like this is being Taken too far! :wink:

1654330277279.png

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #94,056 of 154,081
Hmmm...feels like this is being Taken too far! :wink:

1654330277279.png
I have not seen those movies but remembered the line from a trailer.😉

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #94,058 of 154,081
Hey all,

Just a quick update, since there's been a shortage of chapters. I've been busy, but thankfully less busy due to parts shortages. Which means I'm working on interesting things. Which is cool. But if you remember my last update, the big big crazy thing...well, I still don't have a full schematic, but I do know a lot more. I think I have enough information now to proceed to full schematic and layout, and see if it will fit in the size chassis I want to use (or not.)

In the process of learning a lot more, I, ah, learned a lot more. Specifically about how we can extend the use of some of our key topologies like Nexus and the superbuffers (I think I have an even better superbuffer, but let's do a round of actual prototypes before celebrating on the basis of one hackjob, right?) It's nice to have enough time to really dive in to this stuff, and work on some foundational-level things.

"But that's boring," you say. "Let's hear about new stuff!"

And yeah, I hear you. The problem is, other than the things we've blabbed about (Folkvangr, Urd), we really can't start talking too much, because the product intros either:
  1. Affect current products
  2. Are so far out in fantasyville that I don't know when they'll happen
So, for what you know:
  • Folkvangr will be soon. Just waiting on boards, as usual. I expect you'll see them before the Texas Audio Roundup.
  • Urd will be later. This one is impacted by Microchip parts, and has been impacted by a very, very long, very painful, and very buggy development cycle. It is close enough that you'll see final, working versions at the Texas Audio Roundup in July. This doesn't mean we'll be shipping, but we'll have some you can listen to.
Here's the fun kicker, though: you'll also see at least three, and possibly more, products at the Texas Audio Roundup. And by "product," I mean, "actual shipping product, not a tease or guess or any other kind of woohoo wankery."

If you can't make it to the show, that's fine. I'm sure the press will cover it, so there will be plenty of chatter about the new stuff.

In the meantime, we'll be having some kind of Schiitrmeet or video thing this month. Let me bug Denise. I think she said the 15th or the 16th. Let me confirm.

And...

...it gets better.

In addition to the new shoot-the-moon stuff I'm working on, Mike's team has started delivering on some significant R&D work of their own. As in, with actual listenable fun new scary gigaburrito combomax type insanity. Now, these are not yet necessarily products, nor am I gonna guess as to when all the new crazy will be appearing, either in a current or new product, but there's some truly amazing stuff happening on BOTH analog and digital fronts. I'm more excited than I've ever been about the future.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #94,060 of 154,081
Signs that the apocolypse/end-times are here...

* Schiit power switch in front
* Schiit DAC supporting DSD
* Schiit DAC with MQA
* Schiit DAC with i2s utilizing HDMI
* Schiit THX certified AV receiver
* Schiit URD available for order

:smirk:
Yeah, I'll take the Urd hit.

But I'd really like to know why they still call them "AV receivers"? Are we still living in the 1970s? Is one of the device's primary functions to receive FM and AM radio? This bugs me to no end.

Besides the huge efficiencies from this Schiit model ... which translate on the retail side as great pricing & value ... this is also fundamental to their ability to be innovative, IMO.

#1 - they don't have to cover a lot of overhead in their pricing. So risk of out-of-pocket losses are low, even if a product doesn't end up exciting many potential buyers.

#2 - since there's no space between owners, executive mgmt, and lead designers, all three areas are in alignment. If the design team can sell themselves on an idea or a prototype, mgmt will follow & ownership will too. (It's a shame really that tri-corner hats have fallen out of fashion.)

#2 especially. Things move fast because we don't have to "sell the idea to management" and then "put together a team to design and implement it." We play with ideas, we decide to do something, we do it, and if it's successful we do some more. It's that simple.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #94,061 of 154,081
and work on some foundational-level things.

"But that's boring," you say.
No, it really isn't. Its the cornerstone of all you do and it's why Schiit is different .

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #94,062 of 154,081
Woohoo. Exciting stuff. The hard part is the waiting, but it appears it will definitely be worth the wait.

(I'm hoping Mike's Gigaburrito Combomax with rice and beans will be doable as a BF2 upgrade. Its microSD card slot is looking for something to do.) 😏

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #94,063 of 154,081
...it gets better.

In addition to the new shoot-the-moon stuff I'm working on, Mike's team has started delivering on some significant R&D work of their own. As in, with actual listenable fun new scary gigaburrito combomax type insanity. Now, these are not yet necessarily products, nor am I gonna guess as to when all the new crazy will be appearing, either in a current or new product, but there's some truly amazing stuff happening on BOTH analog and digital fronts. I'm more excited than I've ever been about the future.
I'm guessing this is the FPGA research that will rewrite the rulebook and we are super-excited about.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back