Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #94,231 of 151,318
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #94,232 of 151,318
While I have not invested small house money as someone else mentioned, I do have average new car money in my home theater. And the difference between streaming audio and audio from a disc is significant. While I do watch streaming content, for movies I like, I always buy the disc. The difference with an Atmos setup is well worth it.
Also actual ceiling speakers are much better than the ones that aim up from towers. At least to my ears.
That was me.

Agree 100% I always buy the 4k HDR atmos disc for movies I like and will watch again. Streaming service “Atmos” is disappointing at best. Streaming movies is sub optimal in general in my experience—both visually and acoustically. If I were a true cinephile who watched only hard format UHD, maybe I’d feel more strongly about my investment. Reality is I’d rather have the wide variety of online movies than spend $$$ on a movie I may or may not watch again. Like those on this thread who’d rather have the variety of music from streaming services instead of having a room full of CDS.

Does Atmos sound better than surround? Yes. Was it all worth it in the end? Yes and no. I don’t go to theaters anymore because of the HT. I can’t say the dollars invested are proportional to the enjoyment of the movie though.

I was replying to Jason thoughts about a 5.1 or 5.2 system delivering enough spatial audio to thoroughly enjoy a movie. I just agreed with him. YMMV.

Jun 6, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #94,233 of 151,318
I won't argue that, however, my maniacal stare does tend to put some of the ladies off. It's the ones that are not put-off and are attracted to my Rasputin-like gaze that worry me. :astonished:
"Put off?" More like "deathly afraid" and feverishly digging through their purse for the can of mace. :laughing:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #94,234 of 151,318
Very likely. :)

On a slightly more serious note, though:
I wonder why you would want such an amp, though. Tyr in mono block form kinda makes the most sense to me. If there's ever such a thing as "consensus" when it comes to wiring in audio, it surely must be that running longer balanced interconnects is ( at least sonically) preferable to running longer speaker cables. So, to have the ability to place the Tyrs closer to the speakers (which I, full disclosure, didn't do myself, but purely for space limitation reasons rather than sonic considerations) should be preferable to having one big chunk of amp sitting in your stack, right? And then there's the rather considerable practical issue of how to keep such a single dual-mono/stereo Tyr run as cool as the mono blocks do.

I know I'm missing some very valid reasoning that would support the case of a dual-mono/stereo Tyr. That's why I'm asking. :)
Jason has already made a statement with the Tyr. Now it's time for 200wpc tube monoblocks. Push-pull is acceptable, but only full triode, of course. 12 KT-88's per side should do it. :laughing:

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #94,235 of 151,318
There's four just in the Triangle area I would take over any of these

Edit: to clarify, this is for pork. If you go to NC bbq and get brisket you deserve to remain confused
Well said. Finally, a voice of reason around here. 😂😂

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #94,236 of 151,318
I did cringe when I remembered one came from Chapel Hill. Bill is probably more of a Georgian now anyway, he will be talking about the Bulldogs next. :L3000:
I'm too old to change now. That, and I resist lowering expectations. :laughing:

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #94,237 of 151,318
I hear cassette tapes are back in demand. Can you imagine a Schiit tape player?
I’d have interest in a Schiit CD player, only if it’d match my other Schiit components😂

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #94,238 of 151,318
I'm too old to change now. That, and I resist lowering expectations. :laughing:
Watch out for Indiana next year, five starters returning.😁

I found a source for Georgia peaches, you are off the hook BBQ breath.🤣

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #94,239 of 151,318
Jason has already made a statement with the Tyr. Now it's time for 200wpc tube monoblocks. Push-pull is acceptable, but only full triode, of course. 12 KT-88's per side should do it. :laughing:

You wouldn't need as many 845s.

JC

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #94,240 of 151,318
I wonder how many KT-150’s per side then?

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #94,241 of 151,318
"Put off?" More like "deathly afraid" and feverishly digging through their purse for the can of mace. :laughing:
Tomatoe. Tomato. 🙄

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #94,242 of 151,318
Here in Alberta we have the blessing of CKUA-FM, as well as the CBC. In Calgary we've also got the college station CJSW-FM.

All three are mostly ad-free, and what few ads appear are pretty unobtrusive.

I log at least 8 hours a day of FM.
WETA radio from the DC area keeps me in classical. They make better playlists than I would and exposes me to new Schiit. And to show what an old fart I am I prefer listening to John Sterling and Susan Waldman call a Yankees game than watch on the tube. Baseball with show tunes.

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #94,244 of 151,318
You wouldn't need as many 845s.

JC
True. But they don't fit very well in the Vali 2, so all the more reason for a new amp. :laughing:

Vali2 with 845.jpg

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #94,245 of 151,318
I'd like to see something more exotic. How about a pair of 833A triodes in class A push-pull?
..................................................................................This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back