Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #93,106 of 155,166
Congrats, Our recent rescue is still a little PTSD. Probably a puppy mill abused dog. She loved the short term company of our daughters 2 year old rescue. I'm working hard to convince Judy to adopt a companion. IMHO, dogs in pairs are happier.
So are cats. And miniature hippos masquerading as cats too. :laughing:

Cats.jpg

May 12, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #93,108 of 155,166
Although it's a bit of a waste (or the beginning of something wonderful :) I am considering getting an Aegir to use in mono for center channel duty. CC is a Totem Tribe II.

According to the product website, it's the exact same size as the Vidar?
How misdirected is this desire of mine?

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #93,109 of 155,166
Although it's a bit of a waste (or the beginning of something wonderful :) I am considering getting an Aegir to use in mono for center channel duty. CC is a Totem Tribe II.

According to the product website, it's the exact same size as the Vidar?
How misdirected is this desire of mine?

yes same footprint (heatsinks) and height as Vidar.

there is also the standby switch on the front (not sure of the standby state if remotely powered-up with switched AC outlet, but others (who actually have an Aegir) might be able to chime in.

if it isn't an ideal fit for the CC, Aegir can be repurposed in conjunction with a preamp to drive old school HFM Susvara, HE-6 etc.

Aegir needs a true-balanced signal (Freya+, Freya S, magnius) to operate in monoblock mode (SE RCA inputs exclusively for normal stereo mode).

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #93,110 of 155,166
I am considering getting an Aegir to use in mono for center channel duty. CC is a Totem Tribe II.

Using Aegir for mono center channel

It will require a balanced signal. If you already have the preamp you want, but only with
a se mono signal, you could use a Lokius to turn that to balanced, and send it on to
aegir. 3 pin XLR cable needed of course

If using a Freya, magnius, etc, you won't have a mono balanced signal out. There may be ways to circument that, I don't know.

When Aegir turns on it comes up fully operational (after a 5 second pause), not in standby.

my 2 cents
Noah

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #93,111 of 155,166
Yes!
And Cats must continuously train said staff for 3 reasons…
#1 to continually remind the staff that that is their duty to be at the ready 24/7/365.25 (no vacation nor time off).
#2 to maintain and remind the staff that in no uncertain terms, that IS what they are, staff.
#3 to at least try and stay ahead of the ever changing requirements that the Cats demand and expect, which usually takes years.
And while cats are patient they DO have limits…
Or until the cats give up in desperation and just sigh and go back to their cat napping.
Or give up entirely and move elsewhere to find more suitable staff.

In my neighborhood we have the Cat Mafia whose protection racket is to check every creatures travel papers to make sure that they have the proper authorization, with stiff penalties when their papers aren't in order and when the huntress kitties are on the job.

Even my 2 Big Dogs don't mess with the Cat Mafia (but they do a pretty good job of trying to ignore it)…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
Lol, I call our cats the "meowfia"

May 13, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #93,112 of 155,166
Sadly the 2.5i Crosstrek Sport has their crappy CVT transmission. Oh, sure, you can fake gear shifts with paddles and software but it still doesn't replace the feel and behavior of a real gearbox and clutch. Compared to a manual gearbox they drive like mush. And they aren't as reliable, either. Forced me to buy the lower trim version just to get the manual gearbox. I'd have bought a WRX except I need the ground clearance. My dirt road gets hungry for undercarriage components during the Spring thaw.

Had an interesting conversation with the service manager at my local Subbie dealer recently about the difference between the CVT and the manual gearbox. His take was that the CVT was more reliable (~100K before replacement) vs a clutch (~75K before replacement). I countered that anyone who couldn't get 125K minimum out of a clutch (assuming competent engineering at the factory) shouldn't be driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle. He looked at me a bit funny as I explained that in EVERY Subaru that I've owned with a manual transmission I've gotten over 150K miles from the clutch. The early EJ25 engines were notorious for needing head gaskets at ~130K or so. When I'd have the head gaskets replaced, I'd opt for a new clutch (you have the engine out already, right?) and a new timing belt and water pump. Then drive it for another 150K or so until it succumbed to rust and body rot.

So far my record is 19 years, 324K miles, one set of head gaskets, one clutch replacement, two water pumps, one exhaust, many sets of tires & brakes. All on one 2001 Subaru Outback with upscale trim. I'd still drive it today if it didn't suffer from a fatal structural failure due to rust. Needless to say, that car didn't owe me a thing when our relationship ended.
I had a Toyota Corolla hatch, 1.8, 5 speed, early 2k vintage. Bought it 2nd hand and drove it from 20,000kms on the clock to 320,000kms on the same clutch and brakes. Still had several mm on the pads, and the clutch wasn't slipping at all.

May 13, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #93,115 of 155,166
But it's Friday the 13th...!!! 😱😨😱

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/13-things-friday-13.html

The origin is unclear but here are a few possibilities.

I generally start off with a Cappuccino then move on to some Columbian coffee to get my day started.

All of my projects are on hold as I wait for knife blanks from Japan, they got as far as Customs in Chicago. A lumber company is trying to find a box big enough to ship hardwood for a couple projects and I am waiting for some high quality wire and cotton mesh for some Utopia cables.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #93,116 of 155,166
https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/13-things-friday-13.html

The origin is unclear but here are a few possibilities.

I generally start off with a Cappuccino then move on to some Columbian coffee to get my day started.

All of my projects are on hold as I wait for knife blanks from Japan, they got as far as Customs in Chicago. A lumber company is trying to find a box big enough to ship hardwood for a couple projects and I am waiting for some high quality wire and cotton mesh for some Utopia cables.

As long as you don't switch to a coffin making business, I don't worry (too much). But, talk of knives, rope (sorry, wire), and hardwood, concerns me. "All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy", after all...! 😶

May 13, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #93,117 of 155,166
As long as you don't switch to a coffin making business, I don't worry (too much). But, talk of knives, rope (sorry, wire), and hardwood, concerns me. "All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy", after all...! 😶
Hobbies are fun things lol. Mostly Japanese kitchen cutlery to go with some cutting boards, santuko, gyuto, nakiri, and deba at this time. As I work I listen to music and audible books. If you enjoy what you are doing it is rarely work. :ksc75smile: A project like this rarely takes me much over a day.

4EA79BD4-1BDE-4A81-81BD-46E2BF6F2A1C.jpeg

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #93,118 of 155,166
Ohhhh, thanks for that. We get a HBO sub free as we get our internet through AT&T. Though as AT&T just flogged that bit off we may lose that soon.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

WE had Sneck Lifter at a pub not far from Greetland a while ago. Strong memories of that!
It warms me heart to see new friends get acquainted here on the Schiit Audio thread.
Whilst not (yet?) a fixed topic on the sine curve, it's forever been a primary background theme of this place.
Cheers!

May 13, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #93,119 of 155,166
0206F6A3-6734-4CE2-961C-AEEE16C1E289.jpeg

Finnegan is helping me assemble tomato cages.

May 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #93,120 of 155,166
But it's Friday the 13th...!!! 😱😨😱

979768410-friday-the-13th13.gif
No worries, I was born on the 13th (not this month) and we have 2 black cats... so I'm covered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back