Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #93,091 of 153,123
His take was that the CVT was more reliable (~100K before replacement) vs a clutch (~75K before replacement). I countered that anyone who couldn't get 125K minimum out of a clutch (assuming competent engineering at the factory) shouldn't be driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle. ...

So far my record is 19 years, 324K miles, one set of head gaskets, one clutch replacement, two water pumps, one exhaust, many sets of tires & brakes. All on one 2001 Subaru Outback with upscale trim. I'd still drive it today if it didn't suffer from a fatal structural failure due to rust. Needless to say, that car didn't owe me a thing when our relationship ended.
I haven't replaced any of my clutches and I drove my 1999 VW Jetta in Philadelphia's stopNgo traffic for 14 years. Lots of tires, lots of diesel. It got 400mi on a tank and I filled it every 10days. Only got to 210K miles on it before the ratty interior (kids!) got to me. Only problem I can recall is having to replace something to do with the alternator.

May 12, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #93,092 of 153,123
My Sol and Mani2 in place. Now working on the last setup things. Sol in a 230V 50Hz grid country! :flag_nl:
The only misfit in the chain is the black Marantz CD player, soon (I hope) to be replaced with a silver Urd.

Yes, I replaced the knobs on both the Freya-S and on the Magni3

sol1.jpg

sol2.jpg
Beautiful system!

How long are your interconnects to Tyr, if you don't mind me asking?

May 12, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #93,094 of 153,123
My Sol and Mani2 in place. Now working on the last setup things. Sol in a 230V 50Hz grid country! :flag_nl:
The only misfit in the chain is the black Marantz CD player, soon (I hope) to be replaced with a silver Urd.

Yes, I replaced the knobs on both the Freya-S and on the Magni3

sol1.jpg

sol2.jpg
I wanted a Sol

Very nice system

Also, love your motorized speaker stands

May 12, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #93,096 of 153,123
Beautiful system!

How long are your interconnects to Tyr, if you don't mind me asking?
They are 20 meters each.
Go into the crawl space beneath the living room and have to go around support walls there. So it is not a direct line from Freya-S to Tyr. Both are identical in length.
They are Pro snake TPM20 cables.

May 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #93,097 of 153,123
Ah yes! My brother was airlifted out of there after coming off his bike. I called his wife and asked for reimbursement of the helo costs. Not amused!!

That brother lives in Greetland, a small world indeed.. I also have a brother and sister in Burnley.

The Pack Horse was my favorite out there, now gone I believe.

Ah yes, Shibden is now famous. Ms Jody is a writer and advocate for all things ageist and feminist and so has been keen to see that, but I don't think we have it here yet. Next time we are over there......

Cheers
Small world never ceases to amaze me.

A barmaid at one of my favourite 1 a.m. pubs in Edinburgh turned out to come from Barkisland. Sowerby, Greetland and Barkisland are villages in a triangle around 2.5 miles (4 km) from each other, separated by a river valley. And 2.5 miles in the opposite direction is the home of the guy who was in the next room to me in the university hall of residence, and who introduced me to high end audio equipment. He sold me the Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones and guided me to the Armstrong 621 in my avatar, and which still bring me the joy of music. Small world indeed.

Let me know next time you're over.

There will be :beer:.

BTW, Wikipedia tells me that Gentleman Jack is showing on HBO. Is that any use to you?

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #93,098 of 153,123
Why not?! It's even ribbed on the inside. You know, for His pleasure… 😁

The real question is: Cardboard or plywood; where's the difference?!? When all is said and done, it's all just glued-together wood particles! 🤣
It's all just rigid carbohydrate foam.
Most little cars are a blast to drive.

[...]

A real shame that today's kids will never know, with their plasticy crossovers and raised trucks… 🙄
the beauty of the used car market is that those cars still exist, and are all the more importable now! I'd love a Twingo, but the Caterham will do nicely in the small and light blast genre

Hah! Perfect. 🤣

My current car is a 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo. Performance tires, but otherwise stock (for now).
No turbo lag and more torque than should be legal, pulls harder up a hill than most cars go downhill.
Like with all modern cars, the steering could be a little more communicative, but the thing carves canyons like nothing else I've ever owned before. An absolute blast to drive, and exactly the right size for me. Hot hatches are a dying breed, though.
That Toyota GR Corolla is reeeeaaaaaal tempting. Unfortunately the only actual rule on cars my wife and I have is that no "new" car that aren't electric. Looking forward to picking up a suspiciously low mileage off-lease GR in a few years, then.
There is no substitute for a Wankel engine. The modern ones are even reliable and don’t blow out rotor tip seals like the old NSUs.

Thirsty as heck, though…

Define "modern" Wankel. Mazda hasn't produced a Renesis in 10+ years.

A WRX built Crosstrek is exactly the car I wanted. Which they don't make. Sigh. I'd be in line to buy one in a heartbeat, with the paperwork for my 2022 Crosstrek in hand for the trade-in.

Nice car, BTW. Bet it's fun to drive on twisty turny roads, too!

Oof, tell me about it. I'd be the one guy to buy an STi and lift it vs on lowering springs. My favorite project car was an old 2.5RS I put an EJ20 turbo engine from a crashed Saab 9-2X into and had it on lifted rally suspension. So very sad that was a "customer" car and not my own. Though not owning it probably prevented me from meeting trees at high speed.

Sadly the 2.5i Crosstrek Sport has their crappy CVT transmission. Oh, sure, you can fake gear shifts with paddles and software but it still doesn't replace the feel and behavior of a real gearbox and clutch. Compared to a manual gearbox they drive like mush. And they aren't as reliable, either. Forced me to buy the lower trim version just to get the manual gearbox. I'd have bought a WRX except I need the ground clearance. My dirt road gets hungry for undercarriage components during the Spring thaw.

Had an interesting conversation with the service manager at my local Subbie dealer recently about the difference between the CVT and the manual gearbox. His take was that the CVT was more reliable (~100K before replacement) vs a clutch (~75K before replacement). I countered that anyone who couldn't get 125K minimum out of a clutch (assuming competent engineering at the factory) shouldn't be driving a manual transmission equipped vehicle. He looked at me a bit funny as I explained that in EVERY Subaru that I've owned with a manual transmission I've gotten over 150K miles from the clutch. The early EJ25 engines were notorious for needing head gaskets at ~130K or so. When I'd have the head gaskets replaced, I'd opt for a new clutch (you have the engine out already, right?) and a new timing belt and water pump. Then drive it for another 150K or so until it succumbed to rust and body rot.

So far my record is 19 years, 324K miles, one set of head gaskets, one clutch replacement, two water pumps, one exhaust, many sets of tires & brakes. All on one 2001 Subaru Outback with upscale trim. I'd still drive it today if it didn't suffer from a fatal structural failure due to rust. Needless to say, that car didn't owe me a thing when our relationship ended.
OH GOD THAT CVT. HAAAAAATE. ..why yes, I am driving my wife's Forester today. :: seeeeeethe ::
We still have a Forester bought new in 97. It has had gaskets done. Our main car is a 2019 Outback Limited 3.6R. We love that motor. The one I miss most is the 04 Forester XT w/ tons of STi parts. One I miss the least is the 02 WRX wagon. I hated that 5 speed.

The 3.6R Legacy was a very cool car. No spec.B, but also no head gasket issues..

There was a second gen Forester STi straight from the factory. Unfortunately JDM only and it was lowered a la the Impreza STi. I'm sad they don't even make the XT anymore, though with the CVT it would be a total waste.

I've been hooked on sports cars my whole life. I do intersperse a 4x4 truck in the middle now and then. I started with a 1953 MGTD then upgraded to a Datsun 510 that got the whole treatment. That car would handle! Next was a BMW 2002 then a Datsun 4x4, and then a Nissan 240SX SE. Went from that to a 1998 Tacoma 4x4 then bought a 2006 WRX hatchback that I still have. I now have a 2018 Tacoma 4x4 for road trips but still much prefer driving my WRX to anything I have ever driven including the 240SX.

This thing is just so fast and so stiff and so able to kill you if you don't learn how to drive all wheel drive well.

Nice collection!

A friend who'd owned the Italian and German exotics that we've all looked at longingly, and who knew how to push them took the Toyota out to explore what it could do. His verdict was that it was 95% of the fun of his Porsche for 30% of the price, because the Toyota came alive above 55 mph, but the Porsche only came alive above 120; and as he said, how often do you get above 120?

That sort of thinking and the sorts of roads around where I live are what led me away from Corvettes and Mustangs and other "fast" cars and into loving Miatas and Minis and Lotuses. Well, that and Tesla ruining "fast" for me. 40mph on a curvy road feeling like Andretti for me, thanks.

I paid MSRP for my toy:

One of only 24 ever to be made [That exterior, Long Beach Red, was made only for the first year cars and the interior Morelle Red leather was in combination a production of 53 cars for the year. With the GT3 package Z51 package, down to fewer than 25 will ever be produced].
I say this as a guy who grew up in a Chevrolet household and still works weekends at the Corvette club my dad's been a member of since the 70s: you Corvette guys are wayyyy too obsessed with "this combination of incredibly arcane options and colors makes my Corvette an incredibly rare 1-of-1 limited production!" Said with love, of course. Still a great driving car and very sharp looking.

Oof, I get laid up for a week and a half with the 'rona and I miss almost a hundred pages in this thread, all cars and beer discussion. Couldn't even listen to headphones during it was the worst part! 0 stars, do not recommend.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #93,100 of 153,123
Small world never ceases to amaze me.

A barmaid at one of my favourite 1 a.m. pubs in Edinburgh turned out to come from Barkisland. Sowerby, Greetland and Barkisland are villages in a triangle around 2.5 miles (4 km) from each other, separated by a river valley. And 2.5 miles in the opposite direction is the home of the guy who was in the next room to me in the university hall of residence, and who introduced me to high end audio equipment. He sold me the Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones and guided me to the Armstrong 621 in my avatar, and which still bring me the joy of music. Small world indeed.

Let me know next time you're over.

There will be :beer:.

BTW, Wikipedia tells me that Gentleman Jack is showing on HBO. Is that any use to you?
Ohhhh, thanks for that. We get a HBO sub free as we get our internet through AT&T. Though as AT&T just flogged that bit off we may lose that soon.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

WE had Sneck Lifter at a pub not far from Greetland a while ago. Strong memories of that!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #93,101 of 153,123
😍 IT'S SO TINY!

:: cough ::

:: ahem ::

That's a mighty cute puppy you've got there.
Thanks - He's growing fast... he is 9 lbs now, double the size now.

May 12, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #93,102 of 153,123
Dogs have owners.
Cats have staff.
Yes!
And Cats must continuously train said staff for 3 reasons…
#1 to continually remind the staff that that is their duty to be at the ready 24/7/365.25 (no vacation nor time off).
#2 to maintain and remind the staff that in no uncertain terms, that IS what they are, staff.
#3 to at least try and stay ahead of the ever changing requirements that the Cats demand and expect, which usually takes years.
And while cats are patient they DO have limits…
Or until the cats give up in desperation and just sigh and go back to their cat napping.
Or give up entirely and move elsewhere to find more suitable staff.

In my neighborhood we have the Cat Mafia whose protection racket is to check every creatures travel papers to make sure that they have the proper authorization, with stiff penalties when their papers aren't in order and when the huntress kitties are on the job.

Even my 2 Big Dogs don't mess with the Cat Mafia (but they do a pretty good job of trying to ignore it)…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #93,103 of 153,123
We adopted our second dog in 5 months today. On 12/1 we received a rescue, now 2 years old) from GA, 58 % German Shepard, 28 % Siberian Husky, a little Australian something or other. Wonderful dog, had lots of issues, has healed emotionally so much in such a short time. 3 weeks ago we received a 3 year old shepherd from CA (15 were rescued and delivered around the country, we live in CT), DNA test still in motion. We were paying the foundation forward for getting a perfect dog and also trying to determine if we wanted 2 dogs. Yesterday on our long early evening walk we decided we wanted to adopt him. 30 minutes later they called and said they found an owner, we asked if we could adopt instead, they approved this morning.

This has been life changing, I have never been a dog person in my 64 years but am one now. Looking forward to drives to the Berkshire vineyards in my wife's Saab Convertible (she bought her first Saab directly from the factory in Sweden in the late 80s) with not one, but 2 dogs secured in the back seat

May 12, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #93,104 of 153,123
Congrats, Our recent rescue is still a little PTSD. Probably a puppy mill abused dog. She loved the short term company of our daughters 2 year old rescue. I'm working hard to convince Judy to adopt a companion. IMHO, dogs in pairs are happier.

Attachments

• Winnie-Cigar3.jpg
    Winnie-Cigar3.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #93,105 of 153,123
My wife has owned two German Shepherds at separate times in the past (one while living in Germany). The way she put it is "Someone beat the german shepherd out of this dog" We could not even put a hand up at first. The recent dog supposedly was a victim of a drowning attempt. He is quickly coming out of his shell, progress each and every day. They realize quickly that they have a safe lovable home. Part of us wishes they can talk and tell their stories, the other part if glad that they can't

Thursdays are go to work / golf day (we both work from home mostly) and there's nothing better when coming home and being greeted by these 2 after being gone all day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back