Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #93,076 of 153,096
I paid MSRP for my toy:

One of only 24 ever to be made [That exterior, Long Beach Red, was made only for the first year cars and the interior Morelle Red leather was in combination a production of 53 cars for the year. With the GT3 package Z51 package, down to fewer than 25 will ever be produced].IMG_9442.jpeg
That looks like it's already going fast and it's just sitting in the driveway!
Serious amount of fun there. Wow.

May 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #93,077 of 153,096
Dogs have owners.
Cats have staff.
As a cat owner, I prefer to look at it as cohabitation on equal grounds, but that’s of course just me.

Why do I think that? Well, because I feed him, clean his litter boxes, clean the place, earn our income, pay for his health insurance and medical bills, buy him toys, and keep him entertained 24/7.

In turn, he’s seriously cute.

And this is coming from someone who’s aesthetically challenged himself; he sure as Schiit’s got the harder job. 🤪

May 12, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #93,078 of 153,096
What audio system did you put in the Jeep? My wife has a somewhat lifted JK and we changed the head unit so she had android auto (she used to scare me using the phone whilst driving). But the speakers, well, let's say I'd happily get then wet fording a river as I don't think it would make them sound much worse!
For now it’s the “upgraded” sound group package (Alpine) that came with it. I drive much less than before so not sure if I’ll end up upgrading any of the sound components or not as I originally considered. Money better spent, at least for me, on a Folkvangr should the timing align.

May 12, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #93,079 of 153,096
That looks like it's already going fast and it's just sitting in the driveway!
Serious amount of fun there. Wow.
Very European for an American car…

At last, a Corvette that handles! (Not quite true, I know- the ZR1 was fettled by Lotus).

May 12, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #93,080 of 153,096
WAY off the sine curve, but here's a video of the civic with the integra engine, I loved that sound, watch the tach

May 12, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #93,081 of 153,096
Sorry, guys, but I've gotta let off some steam for a second…

Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky

That's just one of those albums that really drive me up the wall. Some of the best southern/hard rock guitar work out there, especially on the track The Way of the Future. But no matter what source you listen to, the tracks all sound like complete swamp ass. 24bit / 96k on both, iTunes and Qobuz, but from both sources, the whole album sounds like a 128kbit/s MP3. Especially during the more powerful passages, the tracks all collapse into a noisy mess of compression artifacts. Particularly the high hats and crashes turn utterly unbearable.

The Pretty Reckless has a very similar problem. The older two albums were ok-ish, but Going to Hell and Death by Rock And Roll are unlistenable.

In fact, this seems to be a relatively prevailing issue throughout most of hard rock, southern rock, and metal. Pick a band from those genres, any band, and chances are that the mix sounds like some crappy Napster rip.

I honestly wonder why that is.

OK, done. Back to our regularly scheduled sine wave. 😁

Edit:
Oh, and to also post something much more positive to keep things balanced:
"California" by Bahari; I'll never be able to listen to that song and not grin like an idiot. Don't even know why, it just makes me happy. 🤣
Not sure about those exact releases, but your description stinks of loudness war, lack-of-dynamic-range issues. Sadly even a few Rush albums suffer from this. S'okay, those albums make the car audio systems and listening via the garage homepod not a problem. Mastered for the lowest common denominator.

May 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #93,082 of 153,096
Ah, I missed that time - I was already living in California by then. I also note a "Z" and In my day that indicated a NI registered car.

Fortunately (at least I think it is fortunate) I recall the days BEFORE prefixes arrived in - IIRC - 1963.

I notice you claim to live in Happy Valley :). Are you really from that area? I used to drink up on the Kebs as a young man and race in my dad's Zodiac over Widdop moor.

Cheers
Hi, yes, I'm from Sowerby (pronounced Sorebe by the locals and Sourbe by the rest of the world) and I'm back here now, overlooking the Calder Valley, where Halifax is trying to cash-in on the whole Gentleman Jack buzz that's going on.

Widdop Moor would be fun and how were those old drum brakes on the Zodiac on the alpine-style plunges at either end of the moor, with the wing mirrors scraping the terrain (and the sheep) on each side of the road simultaneously?

These should bring back some happy memories!

Blake Dean : Widdop Gate.jpg
Thursden.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #93,083 of 153,096
A buddy of mine is a metal-head. He follows various bands' webpages and blogs and such. As @RickB says, for many metal bands, it's a purposeful attempt at a specific aesthetic. I think he's told me many of those musicians think it keeps them grounded in their roots playing in their garages. Anyway, that's at least third-hand information, so it may not be worth much, but it's the information I have.
I dunno.. You can be "low fi" and still sound great. Neutral Milk Hotel's two albums sound like every single mic was passed through a fuzz pedal (which I'm totally cool with!) but it's still a well separated, nicely mastered album. Heck even some Sebadoh and Fugazi albums can scale in a good system. Tough to get garage-ier than those guys.

May 12, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #93,084 of 153,096
Hi, yes, I'm from Sowerby (pronounced Sorebe by the locals and Sourbe by the rest of the world) and I'm back here now, overlooking the Calder Valley, where Halifax is trying to cash-in on the whole Gentleman Jack buzz that's going on.

Widdop Moor would be fun and how were those old drum brakes on the Zodiac on the alpine-style plunges at either end of the moor, with the wing mirrors scraping the terrain (and the sheep) on each side of the road simultaneously?

Blake Dean : Widdop Gate.jpgThursden.jpg
Reminds me of the Snake Pass in Derbyshire. Too many low speed limits and cameras there now, though…

May 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #93,085 of 153,096
Well, Subaru forgot to make it AWD so it is not a "real" Subaru, is it? :L3000:
At least every one I have seen in person is not AWD. I think they are all RWD. Not that there is any thing wrong with that but I have come to expect AWD on a Subaru.

And yes, I too am kidding around.
You are correct, it is RWD, which was a very different experience after decades of driving FWD cars.

May 12, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #93,086 of 153,096
Very European for an American car…

At last, a Corvette that handles! (Not quite true, I know- the ZR1 was fettled by Lotus).
It certainly does! And it's fast :wink:

It's actually a fabulous car to drive, I took one (not mine!) on the track in February and they certainly handle. A fabulous piece of American design and engineering - and an electric one coming soon.

Our youngest was just out from Humboldt for spring break. There is a sign on the garage wall for her:
Wync8.jpeg

May 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #93,087 of 153,096

Blake Dean : Widdop Gate.jpgThursden.jpg
Ah yes! My brother was airlifted out of there after coming off his bike. I called his wife and asked for reimbursement of the helo costs. Not amused!!

That brother lives in Greetland, a small world indeed.. I also have a brother and sister in Burnley.

The Pack Horse was my favorite out there, now gone I believe.

Ah yes, Shibden is now famous. Ms Jody is a writer and advocate for all things ageist and feminist and so has been keen to see that, but I don't think we have it here yet. Next time we are over there......

Cheers

May 12, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #93,088 of 153,096
I am jealous. I tried and tried to find an RS. Local dealers wanted 5K down just to order one with no idea when it would be built and what the final price would be. Kind of like it is now buying a new car.
I have a friend who has ordered 3 cars and will take the first one available... strange times

May 12, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #93,089 of 153,096
I dunno.. You can be "low fi" and still sound great. Neutral Milk Hotel's two albums sound like every single mic was passed through a fuzz pedal (which I'm totally cool with!) but it's still a well separated, nicely mastered album. Heck even some Sebadoh and Fugazi albums can scale in a good system. Tough to get garage-ier than those guys.
Absolutely love Neutral Milk Hotel. In the Aeroplane is one of the best albums of the 90s!

May 12, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #93,090 of 153,096
Made me think that maybe Multibit DACs are better suited to 2 channel as they get great depth of soundstage (maybe that is where the time domain stuff comes in) and DS DACs seem to just go wide on the soundstage which better matches up with headphones that don't get that same depth?

Not saying that Multibit DACs aren't good for headphones mind.... That is what caused my issues in the first place.
I have often read people write that a separate DAC (and multibit) are better with speakers. Maybe you've pinpointed one of the reasons why that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back