Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #9,286 of 151,621
I am understanding this correctly?

Stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to speakers is now called "2 channel"?

While stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to headphones is not ?

Where did that come from?  It makes no sense.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #9,291 of 151,621
Sorry - I never wrote assembler.

I did write an operating system, with some snippets of code in assembler.

And I wrote a program that wrote assembler (we call them there things compilers 
biggrin.gif
). This helped out later, when I wrote code that wrote HTML. Hated it though when people would come up to me with HTML questions, and I would tell them - sorry, I don't know how to write HTML 
blink.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #9,293 of 151,621
Coded my first program in high school on this...

Coded my first program in College on this...

My first company issued mobile computer...looked like you were carrying a sewing machine

Fortran IV, COBOL and APL

Wow, highschool flashbacks for me - Graduated the same year the first Star Wars movies was released....

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #9,295 of 151,621
  You had an IBM mainframe? 
eek.gif

Eeek...no 
eek.gif

I did all the coding in my basement during the day, and worked at night at IBM - college life waay back when...

I was probably listening to some headphones though, so not so bad 
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #9,296 of 151,621
  Eeek...no 
eek.gif

I did all the coding in my basement during the day, and worked at night at IBM - college life waay back when...

I was probably listening to some headphones though, so not so bad 
tongue.gif

First, coding in machine language on this

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #9,297 of 151,621
  I tried retirement and just about went nuts.  Boredom can be dangerous, at least it can be for me.  So I went back to work, but since I didn't really need the income I made my own terms which is nice..  Health benefits are nice, as is the extra income for toys and travel, more distractions for my overactive brain, and I get to create cool stuff. 

Fully agree, unless you are ready to transition from your primary work into "retirement" work.

Here is a useful book that can provide advice...

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Retirement-Quest-Creating-Fulfilling/dp/0981726984/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Cheers -
RCB

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #9,298 of 151,621
  I am understanding this correctly?

Stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to speakers is now called "2 channel"?

While stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to headphones is not ?

Where did that come from?  It makes no sense.

I see what you are saying. It used to be just stereo. But it seems to be a term that was not really used until surround sound became popular and the channel wars began. 5.1  7.2    18. 7  ,   67.4... from my perspective at some point people started referring to what was a traditional stereo setup as 2 channel to differentiate from all the other all in one super duper integrated of the year. Also Saying 2 Channel almost always put a stop to the sales person blabbering on about how many channels, dolby, blah blah. So yes while headphones are two channel there really are only 2 channels as far as i can tell so there is no differentiate. In the south to some people all soda is called a Coke. Why? Who knows.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #9,300 of 151,621
. In the south to some people all soda is called a Coke. Why? Who knows.

In the old days, before the internet, the marketing force was very territorial

then global warming forced them to give up their territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back