Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #88,486 of 152,136
Grado's sound good plugged into an Asgard 3.

Good to hear!
Åsgard is probably a good choice
Agreed

The Drop Aeon Closed sound great on Asgard 3 - full tone on high gain.

I have also tried balanced with a THX789 - a little more open and detailed using medium gain.

I can't explain it, but as good as Drop Aeon Closed sound (very comfortable so I use them a lot while wearing reading glasses and marking), if I switch to the SR325X with Asgard 3 I end up listening to album after album and lose track of time... so inadvertently SR325X are a terrible headphone for marking. 😆 🤣 😂 😹
I must try Grado X a day

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #88,487 of 152,136
The DCA stuff is a very different sound signature from the two headphones you mentioned. Much less treble emphasis. I have had several DCA cans and currently have the Vocé and Stealth. They all like some power behind them. If you are looking for a contrast to your current headphones the Noire or even the RT are good choices.
I am more in the other end

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #88,488 of 152,136
@Stevko

Are you in Canada?

Consider this -

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/manufacturers/hifiman-212/

HIFIMAN Edition XS Stealth

I have some HE6SEs at home that are just fantastic. Bought in December 2021, first pair of planars.

Obviously Ragnarok 2 pushes them with ease, but I found them quite enjoyable through Asgard 2 and Magni 3 as well.

The edition XS Stealth are quite a bit more efficient then my HE6SEs
I can get hifiman easy.
I am from Norway

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #88,489 of 152,136
Good to hear!

I must try Grado X a

Good to hear!

I must try Grado X a day
My Grados (RS1e) lit up on a Lyr3 in ways they did not on Magni3+ or Asgard3. If you are good with SE and Grados that would be my suggestion. I always pair the Grados that way now. They became new headphones, basically.

As for all in one vs separate components, I was a little disappointed in my A3 on-board MB card for the levels it produced. Recently gifted it to my wife who A/Bed it with her Modi3 at work (think 2020 AKM) while trying to level match and she prefers running it off the Modi. Can't speak to other on-board modules.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #88,490 of 152,136
I have a question related to JRiver Media Center and Schiit DACs which is to be found nowhere on the Sine Wave. I'd appreciate a PM from any Schiit Heads who use JRiver so I can ask my question off-list.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #88,491 of 152,136
My Grados (RS1e) lit up on a Lyr3 in ways they did not on Magni3+ or Asgard3. If you are good with SE and Grados that would be my suggestion. I always pair the Grados that way now. They became new headphones, basically.

As for all in one vs separate components, I was a little disappointed in my A3 on-board MB card for the levels it produced. Recently gifted it to my wife who A/Bed it with her Modi3 at work (think 2020 AKM) while trying to level match and she prefers running it off the Modi. Can't speak to other on-board modules.
My work setup is Modi 3+, Loki Mini, Asgard 3. Thinking about the Lyr 3 for work. I have the Vali 2 at home, that I use occasionally, and like that. I have some 6SN7's (with adapter) that I can use in the Lyr 3. So that's a good enough reason to buy it, right?

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #88,492 of 152,136
I can get hifiman easy.
I am from Norway
If you like Grado then Hifiman is similar but with enough of a difference to add variety. The HE6se or Edition XS would be my recommendation in the sub $700 category. The HE6se goes on sale regularly.

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #88,493 of 152,136

Yee. Int daccard=1.4 Volt out.instead of 2Volt.
I’m good with Grado,SE And Beyerdynamic with 3 pin XLR

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #88,494 of 152,136
If you like Grado then Hifiman is similar but with enough of a difference to add variety. The HE6se or Edition XS would be my recommendation in the sub $700 category. The HE6se goes on sale regularly.
Tried Sundara before christmas. I like them

Feb 18, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #88,495 of 152,136
Sometimes a great amplifier can make headphones sound way above their price. Such as ampsandsound Kenzie or perhaps the upcoming Folkvagon.

Magni is probably going to feel weak after the initial joy of ownership. I find a 1 watt power amp can be maxed out and I'm not a big fan of loud music with their Aeon RT and similar. The Jot2 is about right ... pretty much need to be in high gain though if you want to get it uncomfortably loud. For the headphones he has now, though, Magni is just fine.
I use a Jot 2 with 300 ohm headphones on low gain and usually about 9 o'clock. I get the feeling the volume levels you listen to would deafen me.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #88,498 of 152,136
I have said it before -
My Grado RS325e sound excellent out of the Asgard 2. Gungnir MB as dac.
Unless you can plug in side by side it's hard to know which amps really change your cans. I ran HD650s and the RS1es for years off a tiny Schiit stack and was happy. Got an Asgard and liked it more. Got a Lyr and liked it more but only on certain headphones. Could have been imagination until I began running amps in parallel. If I could have walked into a Schittr in NYC and plugged my cans into amps running the same signals I would have bought a Lyr way sooner. Probably the Bifrost too. Or more. I hear new toys are on the way. 😁

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #88,500 of 152,136
Unless you can plug in side by side it's hard to know which amps really change your cans. I ran HD650s and the RS1es for years off a tiny Schiit stack and was happy. Got an Asgard and liked it more. Got a Lyr and liked it more but only on certain headphones. Could have been imagination until I began running amps in parallel. If I could have walked into a Schittr in NYC and plugged my cans into amps running the same signals I would have bought a Lyr way sooner. Probably the Bifrost too. Or more. I hear new toys are on the way. 😁
Amps fed from Gungnir MB -
Jotunheim
Asguard 2
Valhalla 2 (6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK NOVOSIBIRSK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid & 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978)
Lyr 1 (adapted 6SN7: 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates)
Mjolnir 2 (6N23P Voskhod Rocket - 1971)

Switched via a Pioneer Spec Program Selector U-24. Except Mjolnir which is fed direct from Gungnir MB balanced.

Grado best from Asguard 2. IMHO :smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back