Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #88,502 of 152,149
All this talk about Schiit gear and head phones is really distorting the Sine Wave.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #88,503 of 152,149
Amps fed from Gungnir MB -
Jotunheim
Asguard 2
Valhalla 2 (6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK NOVOSIBIRSK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid & 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978)
Lyr 1 (adapted 6SN7: 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates)
Mjolnir 2 (6N23P Voskhod Rocket - 1971)

Switched via a Pioneer Spec Program Selector U-24. Except Mjolnir

All this talk about Schiit gear and head phones is really distorting the Sine Wave.
Sorry for hijacking the thread 😅

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #88,504 of 152,149
I use a Jot 2 with 300 ohm headphones on low gain and usually about 9 o'clock. I get the feeling the volume levels you listen to would deafen me.
On my Jot 2 on low gain with Drop 8xx headphones I'm at noonish. I listen to a lot of live recordings and prog crap with artificially wide dynamics. I do need to turn it down at times!

Feb 19, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #88,505 of 152,149
The DCA stuff is a very different sound signature from the two headphones you mentioned. Much less treble emphasis. I have had several DCA cans and currently have the Vocé and Stealth. They all like some power behind them. If you are looking for a contrast to your current headphones the Noire or even the RT are good choices.
How do those two compare? Paying 10k for a headphone set up seems a little nuts.

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #88,506 of 152,149
And ...
Master of Sparks; ZZ Top, Tres Hombres and
Tube Snake Boogie; ZZ Top, Greatest Hits

and Sheik; ZZ Top, Tres Hombres
And not to forget Planet of Women from Afterburner. Dangerous decibel levels not only permitted, but encouraged. :laughing:

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #88,507 of 152,149
Strongly agree with the above philosophy :beerchug:

Some Flagship-ish deals out there right now...

Drop has $401 off 8XX with ZEOS8XX code. Comes to $699.

1645126038560.png

The Hifiman HE-6SE is still $549
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

As @tincanear said, in the HiFiMan's case, you'd benefit from a bigger amp

I just ordered the HE6se; will see how they do on Asgard 3 and Magnius vs the Emotiva A-100 with jumpers installed
A great deal on the Senn's, my local group used four of them when comparing 6sn7's, and they sit ready when we are able to get a large group together for final testing. Very revealing headphones that played well with our amps and DAC combination.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #88,508 of 152,149
First, thanks to those who helped me find a source for decent but inexpensive watch bands for non-luxury daily drivers:

Second, I ordered, and have received, two pair of Blue Jeans interconnects. I ordered them late last week and received them yesterday; super-fast shipping. I can't believe so many here recommended these: they aren't even labeled with proper signal directionality. My Audiophilia Nervosa is making it impossible for me to concentrate on my music.

Finally, the reason for my new cables: His and Hers Gungnirs. The top unit is a delta-sigma, the bottom is multi-bit. Just because I'm curious.
The watch appears to be a Hamilton Khaki automatic and that band works well with it.
Blue Jeans is a great company, and I am a fan of the Gungnir myself. Multibit for me.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #88,509 of 152,149
I know that DCA recommends relatively modest minimum power. According to Dan they will also work nicely with a DragonFly Red. But in my experience they really start to sing with some decent power. Don't go too low.
The fit and finish of my DCA Ether Closed is top notch. Their carrying case is butt-ugly. A misbehaving Heretic amp caused 1 of the drivers to get really hot (with a sickening buzz [Schiit immediately replaced it, headphone didn’t appear worse for wear@]). let’s see… what else did I do to these summit-fi ‘phones…? They fell ~0.5 m onto a hardwood floor (cement underneath it). And a carbon fibre cap popped off. Snapped it back into place. what else? Oh yes!… I used an el cheapo headphone extension cable to allow me to enjoy my cans from my luv seat. Its crap connections caused my DCA’s stock single-ended jack to crack apart (DCA took care of that [and I’m grateful to their customer service]). My vote: I am very pleased with my closed back phones. I’d upgrade to a longer DCA-made cable. :smile_phones:

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #88,510 of 152,149
The fit and finish of my DCA Ether Closed is top notch. Their carrying case is butt-ugly. A misbehaving Heretic amp caused 1 of the drivers to get really hot (with a sickening buzz [Schiit immediately replaced it, headphone didn’t appear worse for wear@]). let’s see… what else did I do to these summit-fi ‘phones…? They fell ~0.5 m onto a hardwood floor (cement underneath it). And a carbon fibre cap popped off. Snapped it back into place. what else? Oh yes!… I used an el cheapo headphone extension cable to allow me to enjoy my cans from my luv seat. Its crap connections caused my DCA’s stock single-ended jack to crack apart (DCA took care of that [and I’m grateful to their customer service]). My vote: I am very pleased with my closed back phones. I’d upgrade to a longer DCA-made cable. :smile_phones:
The only closed headphones I own were made by MrSpeakers prior to the company name change. It was back when was still modifying Fostex headphones and using 3D printed cups. Alpha Primes. They are still working well, naturally I made all of my own cables for them. :ksc75smile:

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #88,511 of 152,149
For ORT...
021922toad.jpg

Sorry to disrupt the sinewave.

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #88,513 of 152,149
How do those two compare? Paying 10k for a headphone set up seems a little nuts.
The RT headphone I mentioned is $500. Not sure where you got $10,000. But for some individuals that isn't a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back