Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #88,531 of 152,122
A correction to yesterday's postings.

I forgot to list two amps fed by the Gungnir MB.
One is a Pioneer SA 9800 used as a headphone amp. It's 330 ohm headphone output limits it usefulness, however Sennheiser HD 650 and Beyerdynamic T1 or DT880 600 ohm preform nicely. I am testing HiFiMan Sundara and 560 v2 as well. The other amp is a Pioneer Spec 4 / Spec 1 stack used with speakers.
I was focused on the Schiit amps and forgot to list the Pioneer.
The Grado/Asgard 2 sucked me in and I spent most of the later evening listening to guitars and drums at a bit higher volume than normal for me :darthsmile:

To paraphrase someone "Ain't this Schiit Fun".

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #88,532 of 152,122
Any updates on the new Schiit Urd transport?
I've been checking the website for the past year or so, starting to think it will never be released...
Thank you!
I can't recall seeing anything recently.

A few notes:

2021 Dec 16 - Schiitr Meet
Should be ready soon

2021 Apr 26 - Baldr
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-904#post-16318867

A bit of transport (Urd) clarification follows:

Please forgive me if any of this seems redundant or condescending. Prior art transports require physical media in the form of a CD and convert it to S/PDIF output, either TOS, coax, or both. The Urd converts the physical media data to S/PDIF coax and USB. In addition there is an additional USB input so that the client may choose between said USB input or the CD playing in the transport. Therefore the input sockets are the USB (Unison) and the equivalent of a socket, the data on the CD which is playing. The output sockets are S/PDIF (coax) and USB (Unison).

Now the Unison USB input we know works with every USB output that Schiit users have. Making the USB out work with all USB inputs we could find was by far and away the most time consuming of the development process of the Unison USB input. On the URD we also have a Unison USB output. This faces a similar design challenge in that we need to make the Unison USB output work with all USB inputs we can find.

To make this process move along faster, we have built a simple USB switch, with two switchable Unison USB C inputs and one Unison USB C output. The idea is we send these out to Beta evaluators before we send out Beta transports to verify that they may work with as large a sample of D/A converters as possible. It will do little good if the transports’ USB out do not function with untested D/A converters.

Once we are satisfied that we work with most/all of the D/A converters in the wild. We may begin to send Urd Beta units out in the field.

I hope the above may be useful.

Thanks all!!

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #88,533 of 152,122
It is a fine way to compare the two types since Schiit built both products. The Hamilton is also one of my choices for working in my shop along with a few Sectors and a couple Earnshaws.
images

I have had this, my favorite watch, for decades now. I once cracked the crystal lifting and moving a safe but had it immediately replaced! It got me quite a few dates in my yoot as it's inherent charm allays any fear a woman might have about dating such a massive and power full toad... :L3000: It runs pretty durn fast but then I run pretty slow now. It really is my favorite watch. I have a 100+ year old Illinois pocketwatch (I need to get it fixed alpong with a Bulova and Seiko automatics) and a couple of smart watches (no more fApple watch) and then there are my inexpensive watches because I am prone to falling and breaking stuff or getting run over and worse.

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #88,536 of 152,122
It is a fine way to compare the two types since Schiit built both products. The Hamilton is also one of my choices for working in my shop along with a few Sectors and a couple Earnshaws.
I had a Sector years ago. I like the ergonomics of the Khaki. White numerals on a black dial are very visible, the numerals are large enough to be easily read, and the hands a re big enough to see even in dim light. Well and functionally designed. Too bad Swatch's movement isn't very good.

So then you've worked with SAP. I always got a kick out of shipping stuff anyway and watching the SAP team go into crisis mode trying to figure out how to appease the software. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
One of the plants I used to work in implemented SAP. Management did a poor, cheap implementation which ended up making us middle managers "manually" manipulate spread sheets weekly to organize our data into something useful. That's not the point I was going to make though: some of the craft supervisors used to complain about how much data entry they had to do to satisfy SAP. I explained to them all those data filtered up through management (also how it filtered up...) and was used to track budgets and make decisions. After that I didn't hear too much whining about keyboard work, at least the effort was appreciated and resulting in useful information.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #88,538 of 152,122
Tried Sundara before christmas. I like them

ideally, try to get a loaner Sundara (or purchase with full refund option) to try out at home or office with your Modi / Magni 3 stack. if that works out, then also consider a Loki+ and/or software EQ for those less-than-ideal recordings.

If the cans you are looking at have 4-pin XLR connector, using an adapter to drive balanced headphones from a Single-Ended TRS amplifier should be safe (but not vise-versa e.g. using Balanced amplifier with single TRS stereo plug headphones is bad)

and now, its Mahler time....

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #88,540 of 152,122
😂 A classic. A lot of Monty Python humor back then didn't really click with me, but that skit was hilarious. And the Lumberjack song...

It's actually not MP. They "borrowed" it from "Not the 1948 Show". Written by Tim Brooke Taylor and Barry Cryer IIRC.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #88,542 of 152,122
"Build to shortage" is virtually impossible in today's manufacturing environment.
For the last year, it's been "Build despite shortage." :laughing:

Feb 20, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #88,543 of 152,122
It's actually not MP. They "borrowed" it from "Not the 1948 Show". Written by Tim Brooke Taylor and Barry Cryer IIRC.
"The Lumberjack Song" is a comedy song by the comedy troupe Monty Python. The song was written and composed by Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Fred Tomlinson.[1][2][3]

Maybe the above is dead wrong,
I ran into this when I was looking something else up.
https://montypython.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lumberjack_Song

The lady with Michael Palin is of course Connie Booth who was married to John Cleese at the time, later they co-wrote Fawlty Towers. Booth was born in Indianapolis Indiana, certainly not British but she played the part very well. :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #88,544 of 152,122
I have a question about a Lyr 3 and would appreciate any help. I just received a new Lyr 3 and saw a notice about a problem with using a trrs cable, even with a size adapter. I have a 4.4 mm trrrs balanced cable that I planned to use with an ultrashort 4.4 trrrs to 6.3 mm trs adapter from Double Helix cables. Is there any problem using it this way? Thank you.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #88,545 of 152,122
"The Lumberjack Song" is a comedy song by the comedy troupe Monty Python. The song was written and composed by Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Fred Tomlinson.[1][2][3]

Maybe the above is dead wrong,
I ran into this when I was looking something else up.
https://montypython.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lumberjack_Song

The lady with Michael Palin is of course Connie Booth who was married to John Cleese at the time, later they co-wrote Fawlty Towers. Booth was born in Indianapolis Indiana, certainly not British but she played the part very well. :)
I was referring to the Four Yorksiremen on the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back