Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #88,457 of 153,749
Yup, I’m glad I ordered my Aegir two months before that, but it ain’t stopping me from ordering silver next time either way. Silver is just much more better looking in my eyes :)
That’s what Schiit is hoping for… but I’m not sure that everyone feels the same way.

Feb 17, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #88,459 of 153,749
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #88,460 of 153,749
Transducers are often the weakest link in an audio playback chain. I recommend that if you have only ~1000 USD to spend on upgrades and want another DAC, best to purchase a Modi Multibit instead of a Yggy GS, and put the remaining $750 towards a used (discounted) set of top tier headphones (e.g. HD800, DCA Ether series, Audeze, Beyer T1/T5, ZMF). If you plan to upgrade the amp as well, then it might make sense to jump on the Yggy GS--- while it does not have Unison USB, the GS should be equipped with Gen 5 which also has electromagnetic isolation, IIRC.

(added)
my planar headphones cost more than any other single component (Bifrost OG Multibit, Asgard 3, Lokius). no regrets.
I was kinda hoping Focal Utopias might be considered top tier, I have several sets of planars. 😜

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #88,461 of 153,749
Thank you for the kind words, sir.

So glad you returned.
Thank you. Your words are among the kindest ever spoken here to me and I am grateful to you for them. You are one of the few who when told that rose bushes may be pretty but they are covered in thorns prefers to think instead that thorn bushes have roses.

And words such as yours? They are the bouquet of life. Again, thank you so very much.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #88,462 of 153,749
I was kinda hoping Focal Utopias might be considered top tier, I have several sets of planars. 😜
yeah, forgot to list Focal Utopias (any maybe a few others worthy of consideration as well). OP's gear list indicates a lot of minor upgrades of same brand, which is what most people do (instead of stepping 2x, 3x or factor of pi pricing tiers)

low-z planars and OTL tube HP amps generally not a good mix but yours aren't exactly "normal" designs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (and more like small OTL speaker power amps)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #88,463 of 153,749
What speakers would you have in mind for it?
Excellent post.

You definitely aren't the only one. Jason has mentioned his desire to extend the amp lineup both up (Tyr) and down (Vidar mini? But obviously with a cooler Norse name).

I envisioned it similarly...saga footprint, but "double" height...basically chop the back half off a vidar chassis.

My use case are some very efficient ceiling speakers above my bed for enjoying mellow piano/cello music while I fall asleep. Currently theyre being driven by a Vidar (pending a potential future Schiit mini amp) which is hilariously overkill considering I only need a couple clicks of the saga volume control to get enough output...haha.
If being an audiophile isn't about dreaming, I don't know what it is.

My very first stereo setup was a Dayton Audio B652 paired with a Lepai 2020a amplifier. Got both together for around $70. Based on reviews, the Lepai 2020a puts out about 8 watts into 8 ohms at 1KHz and 1% THD (don't even think about quoting me on that). Ya, it would clip if I drove the speakers anywhere near "party" volume, but worked just fine most of the time. Over the years I experimented with lots of different equipment. I try to find new homes for leftover gear because I hate to see an audio product in a closet instead of it giving someone the pleasure of music. It's nice to be able to reappropriate gear I have around in impromptu stereo setups. My old Lepai is now lost to time and though I have amplifiers, they are rather large. I've been looking for a small amp to keep around so I can listen to my old stuff for fun or (more likely) set it up on loan for someone else.

Of course, there are no shortage of small Class D amplifiers that would perfectly satisfy my needs, but I have yet to purchase one because none ever really excited me. So instead of buying something, I continue to imagine Schiit products that don't exist.

But to answer the first question directly, the amp would be great for any small or efficient bookshelf speaker that is being used in an environment where loads of volume is not required but quality is appreciated. So ya, pretty niche. In no way am I giving Jason advice in saying such a product should be made. I'm just taking the time to share my fantasies with you all in between a very busy week of work. I don't claim to understand the physics behind how such a thing would come to be, but seriously, how sick would a Saga sized Ragnarok look? It could be called, Ragnapebble? I don't know, maybe I'll leave both the engineering and the marketing to those more adept.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #88,464 of 153,749
yeah, forgot to list Focal Utopias (any maybe a few others worthy of consideration as well). OP's gear list indicates a lot of minor upgrades of same brand, which is what most people do (instead of stepping 2x, 3x or factor of pi pricing tiers)
I do believe in trying to improve the weakest link of an audio chain but there always seems to be a weak link as you improve other gear.😜 I am currently working with the manufacturer of Aragon and if I grab a couple mono blocks I may have to buy other gear to keep up lol. I think more in terms of SQ and less about pricing but I will agree transducers are important.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #88,465 of 153,749
Even with only SE operation?
Don't overstate the benefits of balanced. Yes, all things equal, the same amp might be sounding a bit more quiet, with a bit bigger soundstage, in balanced operation than in SE operation. But these are small nuances, not night and day differences. Of course, in balanced mode the output power is higher (double, normally), which may be important if you have difficult to drive headphones (or speakers).

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #88,466 of 153,749
Exactly! I tend to have a expensive taste but always end up with the cheap stuff.

btw, try wine of Portugal.
Some suggestions for red, see if your taste is similar to mine:
- pêra-grave
- vale barqueiros
- bafarela
- crasto
- casa da passarella a descoberta
Thanks for the recommendations. Now, I live in the UAE, where the market for alcohol is relatively small and strictly regulated. One of the results is: limited choice. But I will look for those you mentioned.

Talking about wine from Portugal, I really really like to drink a nice LBV port (with cheese; the standard combination is with blue cheese, but old Dutch cheese with a good LBV is a match made in heaven). The choice is very limited (only seen here Taylor's), and now with the supply chain issues there is none to be found.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #88,467 of 153,749
All my gears is in my signature.
Should I buy some 1000 dollars planar instead?
A pair of DCA Aeon II would be perfect, but you'd want more power I think. Aeon RT and a Jot 2 or Lyr 3?

About you se v balanced question, you don't need balanced with those headphones. There's a reason Grado charges $175 to put a XLR connector on their headphones, waste of time! Unless you hear a problem.

But, if you buy the DCA, you might want balanced power. The Lyr 3 with 7? watts makes it unnecessary.

OHOHOH and Folkvanger is incoming maybe in the next month to six months or not.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #88,470 of 153,749
A pair of DCA Aeon II would be perfect, but you'd want more power I think. Aeon RT and a Jot 2 or Lyr 3?

About you se v balanced question, you don't need balanced with those headphones. There's a reason Grado charges $175 to put a XLR connector on their headphones, waste of time! Unless you hear a problem.

But, if you buy the DCA, you might want balanced power. The Lyr 3 with 7? watts makes it unnecessary.

OHOHOH and Folkvanger is incoming maybe in the next month to six months or not.
a local dealer selling a pair of :

Dan clark audio AON OPEN with XLR​

for 840 usd inl tax(trade in)

this is the only used pair I can find here (north pole)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back