Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 6, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #85,592 of 150,783
I take it all back. This is my final post and according to a most learned psychologist, bling is good! :D

tempsnip.png

I hereby declare the Bling War over! :D
Thank you .. I now have the right wording for the Schiit Sine update - Bling Wars(TM)

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #85,594 of 150,783
General questions for all: what got you into (deep?) Schiit and do you have a favourite piece of theirs?
Only a modest Schiit user here.....

1. Jotunheim 1 + S/D DAC card (only one available at the time) and a Wyrd.
2. Multibit DAC card upgrade to the Jotunheim 1.
3. Jotunheim 2 with Multibit DAC card.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #85,595 of 150,783
F229369C-7101-4BE7-ADE0-01DBFC895826.jpeg

Oh Schiit! The long wait is over!
Loki Max has arrived!!!
Too bad Im moving houses and wont be able to open and try it out until next week!

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #85,596 of 150,783
Some years back, I gave my wife a tractor (NewHolland TC29) for Christmas, with a bucket and post hole digger. She was quite happy with it!
I know that my wife would love such a gift. Make short work of lots of stuff around the property and would top off her collection of gas powered tools

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #85,597 of 150,783
Black and Silver has a long history...

silver-applied-icon-wall-decals-nfop2401-c3_600.jpg
The only NFL game I have attended was the Oakland Raiders v Seattle Seahawks, at the stadium in Oakland (can't recall its name) back in 2000. It's a long trip to go to games when you live in Australia. What struck me the most was the tailgate parties before the game - totally amazing.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #85,598 of 150,783
Just adding overtones...

Or maybe @bcowen sent the Keeper of the Sine Wave some triodes and now the Sine Wave has 2nd harmonic distortion?
Nope. No triodes have been received.
However I would accept any of the following as payment gifts :
KT88 x 4 or;
EL34 x 4 or;
6SN7 x 3 or;
6SL7 x 2 or;
combinations of the above :smile:

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #85,599 of 150,783

Oh Schiit! The long wait is over!
Loki Max has arrived!!!
Too bad Im moving houses and wont be able to open and try it out until next week!
You got something right - California is an upside down state. Much as I loved living there I decided to retire elsewhere coz’ of the wacky state gov’t. Lol. Enjoy the new gear!

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #85,600 of 150,783
You got something right - California is an upside down state. Much as I loved living there I decided to retire elsewhere coz’ of the wacky state gov’t. Lol. Enjoy the new gear!
Thank you. But I just took the photo as i got it and kept it in a room. No intention of messing up any state’s geographical position.

:)

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #85,601 of 150,783
Hello. This is my first post after lurking since early 2020.

I thought I'd jump in w/the story of how I got into (deep) Schiit. It started in Feb 2020 when I started working from home a lot more due to COVID. I was mostly listening to Shure SE315 IEMs through a JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier with music provided by a 7th Gen iPod modified to have a 240GB SSD. I initially looked into getting a DAP to replace the iPod and JDS Labs c421, but I wasn't a fan of any of the interfaces and wasn't sure how I'd get my library onto a DAP. I had spent hours and hours in iTunes setting up my library to handle Apple Lossless, AAC 256, and AAC 128 versions of my files. The Apple Lossless were rips from my CD collection and the AAC 128 versions were used on my initial 6th Gen iPod. I had moved up to AAC 256 files after getting the larger SSD in the 7th Gen iPod. Anyways, since I was listening almost-exclusively at my desk, I started to look into headphone amps and DACs. That's when I came across Schiit and then this thread where I read all of the chapters of "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World’s Most Improbable Start-Up." The Schiit head amps and DACs were getting good reviews and I just loved the company's history and philosophy! Before updating my source components, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 in March 2020. The JDS Labs c421 powered them w/no problems, and they were a lot more comfortable than the SE315 IEMs and sounded better to boot!

Because cash flow was uncertain at the time, I got a Modi Multibit and Magni 3+ in May 2020, getting bits through TOSLINK from my MacBook Pro and iTunes (or was it "Music" by that time?). What an improvement over the iPod and JDS Labs c421!!! I was really enjoying listening to music again!

After the cash flow stabilized, I moved up to a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 in August 2020. At the same time, I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro because the open-back 650s were letting in too much outside noise. I did some comparisons with the Mimby/Magni stack and Bifrost/Asgard stack (with USB into the Bifrost) to convince myself that the extra $$$ was worth it. The differences were subtle, but the Bifrost/Asgard provided a more enjoyable experience. For the record, the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro felt really heavy initially, but the closed-back design and pleather pads do a much better job of reducing the outside noise. I sold the Modi Multibit, Magni 3+, and HD650s, and have been enjoying the Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, and DT1770s ever since. I did go through a phase of wondering if a pair of Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow would be nice to try. :) Maybe one day I'll give them, or another set of closed-back cans, a listen.

Now, onto some other topics…

=== RPN ===
I've been using RPN calculators since I was in high school with an HP 11C. I got an HP 41cx in college (for aerospace engineering), and it was fantastic, especially with the Math Pac! The physical HPs went away after I got an RPN calculator for my Palm devices (Vx, Tungsten T, Tungsten T3, and finally a Treo 755p). Now I use HP 41cx apps on my iPhone and Mac. The I miss the wonderful tactile feel of the HP buttons, but the apps do have that essential Enter button. :) I always have to stop and think if I'm forced to use a calculator w/an equals sign. RPN is the only way to go!

=== Computers ===
I built my first computer while I was in middle school. It was a Sinclair ZX81 kit, and I soldered the components and chip sockets onto the PCB. It came w/a whopping 2KB of memory on the mother board, and I got the pre-assembled memory expansion module to provide 32KB of total memory. Anyways, it was good enough for me to learn BASIC. My family bought one of the original Macs, and I took it to college w/me and eventually upgraded it to a Mac Plus. I learned FORTRAN on some model of a CDC Cyber mainframe, and also got a FORTRAN compiler for my Mac so I could play around. I started using UNIX machines (HP and Silicon Graphics) in grad school and ran CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) codes on a Cray XMP. I continued using UNIX machines at McDonnell Douglas and then Boeing, and used Cray YMP and Cray 2 machines for number crunching. I got out of aerospace in 2001, about the time massively-parallel machines were starting to gain traction. I still use vi in Terminal on my Mac for web development. Along the way, I've had to use Windows machines occasionally.

=== Toasters ===
I loved the video about the Sunbeam Radiant Control toaster. We had one of those when I was growing up and I always wondered how it worked. Ours had a flakey contact, so I got into the habit of tapping the bread into the single-slice control slot two times to increase the probability that the cycle would start. What a cool design that was!

=== Tubes ===
The only pice of gear I've had w/tubes was a Hallicrafters SX-25 that was my father's from his ham days. I used it to listen to WWV so I could set my watch and clocks. "National Institute of Standards and Technology time: this is Radio Station WWV, Fort Collins Colorado, broadcasting on internationally allocated standard carrier frequencies of two-point-five, five, ten, fifteen, and twenty megahertz, providing time of day, standard time interval, and other related information."

Well, the I.Q. level just went up around here...! That's an unexpected and welcome change. Thanks...! :grinning:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #85,602 of 150,783
Kind of heresy, but even the automatic version does quite well on twisty roads. One of my main longer repeat drives in the last year goes through some of the twistier roads in Sonoma County, CA, it's a lot of fun. In contrast, my wife's Outback makes me car sick.

I'd like to pick up a Crosstrek Sport 2.5i, as my next car. Until then, I'll continue on with my nausea inducing Outback...! :dizzy_face:

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #85,603 of 150,783
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #85,605 of 150,783

Users who are viewing this thread

Back