Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #85,562 of 150,707
Dealer's Choice. 😄

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #85,563 of 150,707
Hello. This is my first post after lurking since early 2020.

I thought I'd jump in w/the story of how I got into (deep) Schiit. It started in Feb 2020 when I started working from home a lot more due to COVID. I was mostly listening to Shure SE315 IEMs through a JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier with music provided by a 7th Gen iPod modified to have a 240GB SSD. I initially looked into getting a DAP to replace the iPod and JDS Labs c421, but I wasn't a fan of any of the interfaces and wasn't sure how I'd get my library onto a DAP. I had spent hours and hours in iTunes setting up my library to handle Apple Lossless, AAC 256, and AAC 128 versions of my files. The Apple Lossless were rips from my CD collection and the AAC 128 versions were used on my initial 6th Gen iPod. I had moved up to AAC 256 files after getting the larger SSD in the 7th Gen iPod. Anyways, since I was listening almost-exclusively at my desk, I started to look into headphone amps and DACs. That's when I came across Schiit and then this thread where I read all of the chapters of "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World’s Most Improbable Start-Up." The Schiit head amps and DACs were getting good reviews and I just loved the company's history and philosophy! Before updating my source components, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 in March 2020. The JDS Labs c421 powered them w/no problems, and they were a lot more comfortable than the SE315 IEMs and sounded better to boot!

Because cash flow was uncertain at the time, I got a Modi Multibit and Magni 3+ in May 2020, getting bits through TOSLINK from my MacBook Pro and iTunes (or was it "Music" by that time?). What an improvement over the iPod and JDS Labs c421!!! I was really enjoying listening to music again!

After the cash flow stabilized, I moved up to a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 in August 2020. At the same time, I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro because the open-back 650s were letting in too much outside noise. I did some comparisons with the Mimby/Magni stack and Bifrost/Asgard stack (with USB into the Bifrost) to convince myself that the extra $$$ was worth it. The differences were subtle, but the Bifrost/Asgard provided a more enjoyable experience. For the record, the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro felt really heavy initially, but the closed-back design and pleather pads do a much better job of reducing the outside noise. I sold the Modi Multibit, Magni 3+, and HD650s, and have been enjoying the Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, and DT1770s ever since. I did go through a phase of wondering if a pair of Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow would be nice to try. :) Maybe one day I'll give them, or another set of closed-back cans, a listen.

Now, onto some other topics…

=== RPN ===
I've been using RPN calculators since I was in high school with an HP 11C. I got an HP 41cx in college (for aerospace engineering), and it was fantastic, especially with the Math Pac! The physical HPs went away after I got an RPN calculator for my Palm devices (Vx, Tungsten T, Tungsten T3, and finally a Treo 755p). Now I use HP 41cx apps on my iPhone and Mac. The I miss the wonderful tactile feel of the HP buttons, but the apps do have that essential Enter button. :) I always have to stop and think if I'm forced to use a calculator w/an equals sign. RPN is the only way to go!

=== Computers ===
I built my first computer while I was in middle school. It was a Sinclair ZX81 kit, and I soldered the components and chip sockets onto the PCB. It came w/a whopping 2KB of memory on the mother board, and I got the pre-assembled memory expansion module to provide 32KB of total memory. Anyways, it was good enough for me to learn BASIC. My family bought one of the original Macs, and I took it to college w/me and eventually upgraded it to a Mac Plus. I learned FORTRAN on some model of a CDC Cyber mainframe, and also got a FORTRAN compiler for my Mac so I could play around. I started using UNIX machines (HP and Silicon Graphics) in grad school and ran CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) codes on a Cray XMP. I continued using UNIX machines at McDonnell Douglas and then Boeing, and used Cray YMP and Cray 2 machines for number crunching. I got out of aerospace in 2001, about the time massively-parallel machines were starting to gain traction. I still use vi in Terminal on my Mac for web development. Along the way, I've had to use Windows machines occasionally.

=== Toasters ===
I loved the video about the Sunbeam Radiant Control toaster. We had one of those when I was growing up and I always wondered how it worked. Ours had a flakey contact, so I got into the habit of tapping the bread into the single-slice control slot two times to increase the probability that the cycle would start. What a cool design that was!

=== Tubes ===
The only pice of gear I've had w/tubes was a Hallicrafters SX-25 that was my father's from his ham days. I used it to listen to WWV so I could set my watch and clocks. "National Institute of Standards and Technology time: this is Radio Station WWV, Fort Collins Colorado, broadcasting on internationally allocated standard carrier frequencies of two-point-five, five, ten, fifteen, and twenty megahertz, providing time of day, standard time interval, and other related information."

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #85,564 of 150,707
Welcome!

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #85,566 of 150,707
Technically France was part of the allies... Renault and Peugeot seem to be doing okay.
I know, I was merely mentioning who owned them now. India was an ally as well, I believe the Tata group is based there.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #85,568 of 150,707
Boy this thread moves fast. Was wondering if anyone could give some insight to my question :)

The Loki Max looks very interesting. I've always used software EQ, but have been very interested in exploring analog EQ.

Assuming you don't need surgical precision, is there any reason to use analog EQ over digital EQ? For example, does analog EQ handle clipping better if there's too much gain in a specific frequency?
lots of things to consider:

can't speak for other manufacturers, but Jason indicated that their analog EQ are designed with headroom to reduce the possibility of clipping with some or all controls maxxed out. for Digital EQ, the designers will need to handle more bits internally (e.g. 20 or 24 bit processing to handle 16-bit signals, then decimation to 16-bits at the output) to prevent clipping for digital waveforms / peaks at or near full-scale.

Unlike Digital EQ, Analog also works with analog sources (e.g. phono, reel-to-reel, analog-out-only instruments) without an additional Analog-to-digital-conversion step.

or put the analog eq between preamp and power amp so that all sources (selectable via the preamp's multiple inputs) can be EQ'd.

Digital EQ can be very cheap (possibly free) if you are using only a digital source (computer, digital music player, etc.).

subtle EQ often works better than a maxxed out "death grin"

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #85,569 of 150,707
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #85,570 of 150,707
Hello. This is my first post after lurking since early 2020.

I thought I'd jump in w/the story of how I got into (deep) Schiit. It started in Feb 2020 when I started working from home a lot more due to COVID. I was mostly listening to Shure SE315 IEMs through a JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier with music provided by a 7th Gen iPod modified to have a 240GB SSD. I initially looked into getting a DAP to replace the iPod and JDS Labs c421, but I wasn't a fan of any of the interfaces and wasn't sure how I'd get my library onto a DAP. I had spent hours and hours in iTunes setting up my library to handle Apple Lossless, AAC 256, and AAC 128 versions of my files. The Apple Lossless were rips from my CD collection and the AAC 128 versions were used on my initial 6th Gen iPod. I had moved up to AAC 256 files after getting the larger SSD in the 7th Gen iPod. Anyways, since I was listening almost-exclusively at my desk, I started to look into headphone amps and DACs. That's when I came across Schiit and then this thread where I read all of the chapters of "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World’s Most Improbable Start-Up." The Schiit head amps and DACs were getting good reviews and I just loved the company's history and philosophy! Before updating my source components, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 in March 2020. The JDS Labs c421 powered them w/no problems, and they were a lot more comfortable than the SE315 IEMs and sounded better to boot!

Because cash flow was uncertain at the time, I got a Modi Multibit and Magni 3+ in May 2020, getting bits through TOSLINK from my MacBook Pro and iTunes (or was it "Music" by that time?). What an improvement over the iPod and JDS Labs c421!!! I was really enjoying listening to music again!

After the cash flow stabilized, I moved up to a Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 in August 2020. At the same time, I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro because the open-back 650s were letting in too much outside noise. I did some comparisons with the Mimby/Magni stack and Bifrost/Asgard stack (with USB into the Bifrost) to convince myself that the extra $$$ was worth it. The differences were subtle, but the Bifrost/Asgard provided a more enjoyable experience. For the record, the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro felt really heavy initially, but the closed-back design and pleather pads do a much better job of reducing the outside noise. I sold the Modi Multibit, Magni 3+, and HD650s, and have been enjoying the Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, and DT1770s ever since. I did go through a phase of wondering if a pair of Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow would be nice to try. :) Maybe one day I'll give them, or another set of closed-back cans, a listen.

Now, onto some other topics…

=== RPN ===
I've been using RPN calculators since I was in high school with an HP 11C. I got an HP 41cx in college (for aerospace engineering), and it was fantastic, especially with the Math Pac! The physical HPs went away after I got an RPN calculator for my Palm devices (Vx, Tungsten T, Tungsten T3, and finally a Treo 755p). Now I use HP 41cx apps on my iPhone and Mac. The I miss the wonderful tactile feel of the HP buttons, but the apps do have that essential Enter button. :) I always have to stop and think if I'm forced to use a calculator w/an equals sign. RPN is the only way to go!

=== Computers ===
I built my first computer while I was in middle school. It was a Sinclair ZX81 kit, and I soldered the components and chip sockets onto the PCB. It came w/a whopping 2KB of memory on the mother board, and I got the pre-assembled memory expansion module to provide 32KB of total memory. Anyways, it was good enough for me to learn BASIC. My family bought one of the original Macs, and I took it to college w/me and eventually upgraded it to a Mac Plus. I learned FORTRAN on some model of a CDC Cyber mainframe, and also got a FORTRAN compiler for my Mac so I could play around. I started using UNIX machines (HP and Silicon Graphics) in grad school and ran CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) codes on a Cray XMP. I continued using UNIX machines at McDonnell Douglas and then Boeing, and used Cray YMP and Cray 2 machines for number crunching. I got out of aerospace in 2001, about the time massively-parallel machines were starting to gain traction. I still use vi in Terminal on my Mac for web development. Along the way, I've had to use Windows machines occasionally.

=== Toasters ===
I loved the video about the Sunbeam Radiant Control toaster. We had one of those when I was growing up and I always wondered how it worked. Ours had a flakey contact, so I got into the habit of tapping the bread into the single-slice control slot two times to increase the probability that the cycle would start. What a cool design that was!

=== Tubes ===
The only pice of gear I've had w/tubes was a Hallicrafters SX-25 that was my father's from his ham days. I used it to listen to WWV so I could set my watch and clocks. "National Institute of Standards and Technology time: this is Radio Station WWV, Fort Collins Colorado, broadcasting on internationally allocated standard carrier frequencies of two-point-five, five, ten, fifteen, and twenty megahertz, providing time of day, standard time interval, and other related information."
Thanks for post. I still have an HP calculator from my college calculus days. Still works.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #85,571 of 150,707
Thanks for post. I still have an HP calculator from my college calculus days. Still works.
I still have my HP-15C that I bought in 1985, It was made in USA and still works great 36 years later. HP re-introduced the HP-15C Limited Edition in 2011 but the keyboard on that model feels cheap and plasticky in comparison with the original.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #85,572 of 150,707
They may sound different. The choke input may offer improvement. If you’re looking for more power consider another Aegir. I’ve read several reports that 2 Aegirs sound better than one. But then you need balanced preamp outputs.
Yeah, power was never an issue in terms of volume, I've considered a second Aegir and replacing the saga with a freya, just haven't had the need or the disposable cash yet.

The choke is really what I was wondering would offer an improvement over, even 2 aegirs on efficient speakers. Obviously is a bit excessive to actually swap to them with efficient speakers.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #85,574 of 150,707
You regional BBQ snobs need to just get over yourselves and let's talk about things that really matter, like regional craft beer.
LochielExterior020117.jpg

Are there eating/drinking establishments in the US where it's still OK to smoke? In Canada we've been "smoke free" for so long I can't remember the last time I saw a no smoking sign.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #85,575 of 150,707
BBQ talk is surely not occasional...

Maybe we should rotate weeks....😄

An example

Week 1 BBQ
Week 2 Cats, Dogs & other pets.
Week 3 Automobiles
Week 4 Assorted Alcohols
Week 5 Non bbq related food
Week 6 Roon, Raspberry Pi, etc
Week 7 Music and Audio Gear
Week 8 Cats, Dogs & other pets