Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #85,547 of 151,373
In an effort to continue reacquainting myself with at least the Dune trilogy, I am a quarter of the way through Children of Dune now. I came across this which sums up my frustration with Dune Messiah nicely:
"Government and religion united, and breaking a law became a sin. A smell of blasphemy arose like smoke around any questioning of governmental edicts. The guilt of rebellion invoked hellfire and self righteous judgement."

I would have liked to read a few chapters about Muad'Dib spreading his religion throughout the universe, and the abuses accompanying that growth. That would have gone a long way in "darkening" the hero. It also might have given Messiah some of the sweep and breadth of the original. It also would have explained how a movement could have swept across dozens of worlds in less than twenty years. That seems far-fetched to me, even for sci-fi.

...back to Schiit.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #85,548 of 151,373
Of course not, but it would be far more interesting (to me.)
I view the BBQ War as more of a meme now, rather than a dispute: a short-hand way of expressing friendly rivalry. But, of course it's easy for the victors to be magnanimous.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #85,549 of 151,373
I view the BBQ War as more of a meme now, rather than a dispute: a short-hand way of expressing friendly rivalry. But, of course it's easy for the victors to be magnanimous.

ROFL!!!!!

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #85,550 of 151,373
Interesting experience with Schiit gear:

I've been reviewing a pair of head phones on tour for the past couple of weeks. I spent most of my time using my living room system: PC -> Gungnir MB -> Sys -> Aegir. My impressions are the head phones are quite mid forward, at the expense of the bass and treble. The lack of balance across the frequency spectrum limited my enjoyment of these head phones. While they were really good for early music, small-scale classical and acoustic jazz, I listen to more genres than that.

One night, right before boxing them up to return them, I plugged them into my bedroom system: DAP -> Bifrost I MB -> Mjolnir I. Wow, oh wow! what a difference. The treble, while harsher in comparison to my Gungnir, was up in level and now better balanced with the mids I hear, and bass was mostly restored as well. Much more aligned to my tastes in sound.

So today, I have a hybrid system: DAP -> Gungnir MB -> Mjolnir I. Highs are smooth and detailed, as I've come to expect. Mids are still forward but much better bracketed by the highs and lows. Lows, while I haven't loaded my audition playlist with its bass-head tracks, onto my DAP, are up and on nearly equal footing with the mids.

This has been the most immediately obvious case of synergy, or lack or synergy, I've experienced with my gear. It was also quite unexpected. I don't notice as dramatic a change in the sound of my HE-500 when moving them from the back room to the front room. An interesting experience.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #85,551 of 151,373
As with many memes, it deserves to die. :)

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #85,552 of 151,373
Interesting experience with Schiit gear:

I've been reviewing a pair of head phones on tour for the past couple of weeks. I spent most of my time using my living room system: PC -> Gungnir MB -> Sys -> Aegir. My impressions are the head phones are quite mid forward, at the expense of the bass and treble. The lack of balance across the frequency spectrum limited my enjoyment of these head phones. While they were really good for early music, small-scale classical and acoustic jazz, I listen to more genres than that.

One night, right before boxing them up to return them, I plugged them into my bedroom system: DAP -> Bifrost I MB -> Mjolnir I. Wow, oh wow! what a difference. The treble, while harsher in comparison to my Gungnir, was up in level and now better balanced with the mids I hear, and bass was mostly restored as well. Much more aligned to my tastes in sound.

So today, I have a hybrid system: DAP -> Gungnir MB -> Mjolnir I. Highs are smooth and detailed, as I've come to expect. Mids are still forward but much better bracketed by the highs and lows. Lows, while I haven't loaded my audition playlist with its bass-head tracks, onto my DAP, are up and on nearly equal footing with the mids.

This has been the most immediately obvious case of synergy, or lack or synergy, I've experienced with my gear. It was also quite unexpected. I don't notice as dramatic a change in the sound of my HE-500 when moving them from the back room to the front room. An interesting experience.
I am not sure I follow how you hooked up the headphones to your living room system. Was there a headphone amp involved? What impedance are the headphones you are trying?

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #85,553 of 151,373
As with many memes, it deserves to die. :)
LOL. Perhaps. I hope you'll forgive an occasional BBQ post to invoke general goodness or to poke at residents of certain states (whether geographic, or states of mind).

As for craft beer, the town near where my observatory is located now hosts a craft brewery. He's doing pretty well it seems. He keeps, I think, a dozen distinct brews on tap. I like three or four of them. I even like his IPA, it's closer to the center of the hop scale than most I've tried in the past. Perhaps not as good as what's on tap in VT, but I'm not heading that far afield for a while, so I'll have to make do with what's available here. There is also a "Houston Brew Pass" organized by fifteen local breweries. Paying for the pass allows you tastings at the breweries: two 8 oz samples to flights of three, four or five samples. I haven't done this yet, but some people I know have.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #85,554 of 151,373
LOL. Perhaps. I hope you'll forgive an occasional BBQ post to invoke general goodness or to poke at residents of certain states (whether geographic, or states of mind).

As for craft beer, the town near where my observatory is located now hosts a craft brewery. He's doing pretty well it seems. He keeps, I think, a dozen distinct brews on tap. I like three or four of them. I even like his IPA, it's closer to the center of the hop scale than most I've tried in the past. Perhaps not as good as what's on tap in VT, but I'm not heading that far afield for a while, so I'll have to make do with what's available here. There is also a "Houston Brew Pass" organized by fifteen local breweries. Paying for the pass allows you tastings at the breweries: two 8 oz samples to flights of three, four or five samples. I haven't done this yet, but some people I know have.
I am not the forum cop so of course, poke fun as you like. It's just getting old in my opinion. :)

As to a Houston Brew Pass, what a great idea. I'd buy that immediately!

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #85,555 of 151,373
I am not sure I follow how you hooked up the headphones to your living room system. Was there a headphone amp involved? What impedance are the headphones you are trying?
No, the Aegir is connected directly to the head phones using a pig tail I made: bare wires on the amp end, female 4-pin XLR on the other. A significant impedance mis-match is my current theory for the lack of synergy between my Aegir and these head phones. Unfortunately, I have no statistics for them. When I go to the manufacturer's website and click on that model's page I am greeted by the spinning wheel of death, which spins until I give up and close my browser.

Normally I use my Aegir with my Stax SR-Lambda which are paired with an energizer as opposed to a dedicated electrostatic amp. They appreciate the power Aegir offers. I was a bit skeptical about my HE-500 with Aegir, but it's a pretty good pairing. I actually don't have any impedance information for them, either. Just listening to these review head phones and my HE-500, I think the review pair are significantly more efficient than the HE-500 (not that Dr. Bian was known for efficient designs that many years ago.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #85,556 of 151,373
Boy this thread moves fast. Was wondering if anyone could give some insight to my question :)

The Loki Max looks very interesting. I've always used software EQ, but have been very interested in exploring analog EQ.

Assuming you don't need surgical precision, is there any reason to use analog EQ over digital EQ? For example, does analog EQ handle clipping better if there's too much gain in a specific frequency?

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #85,557 of 151,373
No, the Aegir is connected directly to the head phones using a pig tail I made: bare wires on the amp end, female 4-pin XLR on the other. A significant impedance mis-match is my current theory for the lack of synergy between my Aegir and these head phones. Unfortunately, I have no statistics for them. When I go to the manufacturer's website and click on that model's page I am greeted by the spinning wheel of death, which spins until I give up and close my browser.

Normally I use my Aegir with my Stax SR-Lambda which are paired with an energizer as opposed to a dedicated electrostatic amp. They appreciate the power Aegir offers. I was a bit skeptical about my HE-500 with Aegir, but it's a pretty good pairing. I actually don't have any impedance information for them, either. Just listening to these review head phones and my HE-500, I think the review pair are significantly more efficient than the HE-500 (not that Dr. Bian was known for efficient designs that many years ago.
I want to say they are 18 ohm or so. I probably have some in my misc. headphone group. HE-500’s that is. Oh sorry you said you liked the HE-500 pairing and you own them. 😅

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #85,559 of 151,373
I hope I am not being redundant but worldwide the nations who have done well in car production are those that were limited in producing armaments after WW 2, some excelled in electronics or fine cutlery or small arms manufacture. Think about it, Germany, Japan, and Italy. Alpha Romeo, Bugatti, Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura. Those countries also have some of the most widely produced cars in the world post WW2. Corolla, VW Beetle, Fiat 500. Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW. Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by Tata group, Triumph is owned by BMW last I heard. Fiat-Chrysler owns Chrysler. Luckily the US still has Ford and GM. England still does some manufacturing, Russian Lada's were based on Fiat 124s I believe and now owned by Renault. We are about the only victor still hanging in there with a couple large car companies.
Technically France was part of the allies... Renault and Peugeot seem to be doing okay.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #85,560 of 151,373
Of course not, but it would be far more interesting (to me.)
2 topics. 2 topics. 2 topics in 1...

Screenshot_20211205-153242_Google.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back