Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #84,916 of 149,685
B3BAA304-F30A-47F1-9625-A4812D1640B6.jpeg

It can be done by applying voltage to the filaments or by drilling a hole in the keyway of octal tubes without drilling into the glass and inserting an LED. I did this for some headphone stands and used CR 2032 batteries and a switch in the base.

IMG_0786.jpg
You're a f**king artist, you know. This threads supposed to shy away from commercial enterprises; however, I sincerely hope Schiit Audio eventually branches out into boutique made-to-order material like this. It might be a way to attract new people to this ridiculous hobby. Yes, hipsters... GenXers (me)... Boomers... Zoomers... BroDaddies... and, yes, Audiophiles.... can be insufferable in clouders/murders/packs ; however, their money is still good. @Jason Stoddard ... women/men/people cannot live on Vali-Coasters and T-shirts alone! May I suggest such a product line path?
With respect, ... :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #84,917 of 149,685
You're a f**king artist, you know. This threads supposed to shy away from commercial enterprises; however, I sincerely hope Schiit Audio eventually branches out into boutique made-to-order material like this. It might be a way to attract new people to this ridiculous hobby. Yes, hipsters... GenXers (me)... Boomers... Zoomers... BroDaddies... and, yes, Audiophiles.... can be insufferable in clouders/murders/packs ; however, their money is still good. @Jason Stoddard ... women/men/people cannot live on Vali-Coasters and T-shirts alone! May I suggest such a product line path?
You are too kind and in the scheme of things, this is something I might use or build for another friend but it would not be a commercial success. :ksc75smile: They could easily get someone with 3D printers to make nice headphone stands with their logo, or someone who does large production woodworking to make one from wood and metal possibly matching their cabinet design.

C3634D4D-6DEE-4DCA-903E-691F3E2CC91B.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #84,918 of 149,685
I don't know about pre-washed potatoes, but whoever invented pre-cooked bacon should be elected Emperor. :laughing:
...there's a song for that! Before The Barenaked Ladies imploded, they had an album, called Gordon. Listen to If I Had A Million Dollars.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #84,919 of 149,685
I sense you did not enjoy it, my apologies if your reading it was based on my recommendation.
It isn't my favorite book for several reasons. But I'm glad you recommended it. I think we have many tastes in common and just because we disagree about The City and the City, doesn't mean my time was wasted. I'd like to read at least one of Mieville's other books to find out if I like his stuff. I read some of the interview at the back of my copy and it sounds like his writings are varied. Another author I've read, Michael Chabon, also has a varied body of work. My favorite, Gentlemen of the Road, is his least popular according to reviews I've read. Go figure.

As to The City and the City, I found it a strange combination of genres: part detective story, part police procedural, part sci-fi/ fantasy, part origin story (the two cities and The Cleavage which created them). What I didn't like is none of the various genres were explored or filled out enough for my tastes. I found myself wanting to know more about The Cleavage and how Beszel and Ul Qoma came to be even though the rest of the Earth is "normal". I suppose there was enough procedural content, but how did Breach relate to the rest of the world? Did citizens of other countries ever get "disappeared", either on purpose or in error? What would happen then? I also found myself frustrated Mieville chose to make Beszel and Ul Qoma into police states rather than explore the other weirdness which could be possible if you could disappear from one city and arrive in another "displaced" by some weird fracture in the universe. He hinted each city had different foreign allies and trading partners, it would have been an interesting thing to read about how foreign affairs were handled. Then there's the whole thing of Beszel and Ul Qoma being "just cities", what about the country they belong to?

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #84,920 of 149,685
A good list for sure. Thackery did some great live work with Tab Benoit, and +1 to Sonny Landreth!
Don't forget the ladies, either: Samantha Fish and JoAnne Shaw Taylor can rock the house :)
I'm a fan of both. Samantha Fish's Chills and Fever has been on constant rotation at our house for several months.
Sam.jpeg

Also does a fun version of War Pigs -

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #84,922 of 149,685
It isn't my favorite book for several reasons. But I'm glad you recommended it. I think we have many tastes in common and just because we disagree about The City and the City, doesn't mean my time was wasted. I'd like to read at least one of Mieville's other books to find out if I like his stuff. I read some of the interview at the back of my copy and it sounds like his writings are varied. Another author I've read, Michael Chabon, also has a varied body of work. My favorite, Gentlemen of the Road, is his least popular according to reviews I've read. Go figure.

As to The City and the City, I found it a strange combination of genres: part detective story, part police procedural, part sci-fi/ fantasy, part origin story (the two cities and The Cleavage which created them). What I didn't like is none of the various genres were explored or filled out enough for my tastes. I found myself wanting to know more about The Cleavage and how Beszel and Ul Qoma came to be even though the rest of the Earth is "normal". I suppose there was enough procedural content, but how did Breach relate to the rest of the world? Did citizens of other countries ever get "disappeared", either on purpose or in error? What would happen then? I also found myself frustrated Mieville chose to make Beszel and Ul Qoma into police states rather than explore the other weirdness which could be possible if you could disappear from one city and arrive in another "displaced" by some weird fracture in the universe. He hinted each city had different foreign allies and trading partners, it would have been an interesting thing to read about how foreign affairs were handled. Then there's the whole thing of Beszel and Ul Qoma being "just cities", what about the country they belong to?
The country gave me the impression of being Eastern European.

Like Chabon, whom I have read extensively, you might have to do a few of Mieville's books to get a sense of his capabilities. He wrote a police procedural for his mother who likes that genre. :)

My favorite Chabon is Wonder Boys although critical acclaim came from other works. Chabon holds the distinction of having won the Pulitzer, Nebula, Hugo, Locus awards plus a few others.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #84,923 of 149,685
Huzzah!

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #84,924 of 149,685
Ha! Given that it's probably the most ubiquitous DAC in the world it makes sense as reference actually.
For purposes of writing a review to be posted on YouTube, to be read by people who aren't hobbyists, I completely agree. Using a pair of Air Pods (or whatever Samsung's equivalent is) and a phone as a reference would make it easy to describe in a relatable way what you get by having different head phones, or carrying a DAP for music instead of using your phone, or having a dedicated desk-top system.

For hobbyists, reading forums like Head-fi, though, perhaps using a Modi, Sennheiser HD-650s and an amp would be a more relevant standard/ reference. For me, those kinds of comparisons can be the most relevant parts of reviews and I often skip there first when reading. I hope the reviewer will have used gear I'm familiar with in his comparisons.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #84,925 of 149,685
The country gave me the impression of being Eastern European.

Like Chabon, whom I have read extensively, you might have to do a few of Mieville's books to get a sense of his capabilities. He wrote a police procedural for his mother who likes that genre. :)

My favorite Chabon is Wonder Boys although critical acclaim came from other works. Chabon holds the distinction of having won the Pulitzer, Nebula, Hugo, Locus awards plus a few others.
Summerland, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay are the others I've read from Chabon. I really enjoyed the language he used in the first 1/3 of Pittsburgh, but that style seemed to evaporate and I was left with kind of a boring story for the remainder. Kavalier and Clay just didn't resonate with me, and neither did Summerland. What I like about Gentlemen is Chabon creates a world and an atmosphere and maintains it throughout the whole book. It also happens to be a world I enjoyed reading about. Cormac McCarthy can do that, but as much as I respect his writing, I haven't liked the worlds he creates. Too desperate and nihilistic for me to enjoy.

The Yiddish Policeman's Union is on my list, but obviously I haven't gotten there yet.

I've got his Wikipedia page open right now. I am now a little more excited Picard is in my NetFlix queue, and I didn't realize he wrote songs, let alone so many songs on Mark Ronson's disc, Uptown Special.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #84,926 of 149,685
Summerland, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay are the others I've read from Chabon. I really enjoyed the language he used in the first 1/3 of Pittsburgh, but that style seemed to evaporate and I was left with kind of a boring story for the remainder. Kavalier and Clay just didn't resonate with me, and neither did Summerland. What I like about Gentlemen is Chabon creates a world and an atmosphere and maintains it throughout the whole book. It also happens to be a world I enjoyed reading about. Cormac McCarthy can do that, but as much as I respect his writing, I haven't liked the worlds he creates. Too desperate and nihilistic for me to enjoy.

The Yiddish Policeman's Union is on my list, but obviously I haven't gotten there yet.

I've got his Wikipedia page open right now. I am now a little more excited Picard is in my NetFlix queue, and I didn't realize he wrote songs, let alone so many songs on Mark Ronson's disc, Uptown Special.
I am more into McCarthy's western works including No Country for Old Men, a book that was easily transposed into a movie. One you should stay away from is Suttree, it was written during a dark period in his life while still in Knoxville Tennessee as best I remember.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #84,927 of 149,685
That's my bad. I didn't know that hoarder had a negative ring to it. In that case yes, a true collector.

Everything well organized. He has original folders, price lists, adds etc. of many of the items he has. Collected over many decades.
I have no doubt at all that he knows exactly what is where, what it is worth, where he bought it, at what price etc, etc.
In one of the rooms a work desk is created to repair broken items. He claims every item is in working condition. It must be thousands.
Some more pictures to give a better impression.

The first picture is the reason of my visiting. He owns lots of old Quad UK gear from the fifties and sixties I am interested in.
The second reason was other brands like Redford, Nagra etc.
Third reason is not so common. The biggest collection I have ever seen of Philips DIY electronics kits from the seventies and eighties. All in the original mint packaging. Hundreds of them. They were very popular in the days. But who stored them in the original box. He even has a DIY build your own TV kit. I'm still flabbergasted.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg
That large square clock in the first picture is calling to me - would you please DM his contact information?
/john

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #84,928 of 149,685
Some more pictures to give a better impression.

The first picture is the reason of my visiting. He owns lots of old Quad UK gear from the fifties and sixties I am interested in.

1.jpg

Beautiful to see all that old Quad stuff on the shelf.

I still have my 405-II.

Thanks for the photos!

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #84,929 of 149,685
I have read all the books as well as watching the series. As you probably know I went as far as assembling the audio equipment used on the show, just to see what it would sound like in person. :ksc75smile: I also listened to all the jazz from the show and books and borrowed appropriate music (if I did not own it myself) for our listening session, vinyl only. Oh and I did finally get a Marantz 6300 turntable in need of repair for a reasonable price, I later sold it so the whole adventure left me $800 to the good minus maybe ten hours of labor.

You didn't keep the rig? I guess that means you're not a hoarder collector... 😉😉

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #84,930 of 149,685
For purposes of writing a review to be posted on YouTube, to be read by people who aren't hobbyists, I completely agree. Using a pair of Air Pods (or whatever Samsung's equivalent is) and a phone as a reference would make it easy to describe in a relatable way what you get by having different head phones, or carrying a DAP for music instead of using your phone, or having a dedicated desk-top system.

For hobbyists, reading forums like Head-fi, though, perhaps using a Modi, Sennheiser HD-650s and an amp would be a more relevant standard/ reference. For me, those kinds of comparisons can be the most relevant parts of reviews and I often skip there first when reading. I hope the reviewer will have used gear I'm familiar with in his comparisons.

That's one of the reasons I still enjoy my LS3/5As. So many reviewers reference it (especially in Stereophile) and it gives me a yardstick to help understand what they're hearing.

I don't quite have the reference rig you're suggesting - I have the Modi Multibit and Drop HD6XX along with a Mani.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back