Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #84,886 of 151,340
If you had originally stated it as you stated it in the above quote then I would not have replied. You may have intended to communicate that, but you didn't exactly say that. In the below quote you made a blanket statement saying audiophiles do not listen to music. I assume by AUDIOPHILES you are referring to those that appreciate the technology that creates the "sounds emanating". My response insinuates that it makes about as much sense as saying photographers seeking out and owning high quality cameras do not appreciate good photographs.

I will agree that SOME audiophiles are not truly music lovers, but I and many here consider themselves to be both audiophiles and music listeners / lovers. I tend to dislike blanket statements applied to groups of people and therefore chose to disagree by citing an example.

BTW -- I did checkout your abstract photography and it is quite good. :wink:
If I may?

With regard to "blanket" statements...I was taught that quite often the main reason a blanket statement is made is to smother the opposition regardless of whether or not the truth is at odds with said statement.

It can be said that all people are guilty of the good we did not do in this life we are given. Audio is a pastime for some, a passion for others. So long as it is fun, I will continue in it. If it becomes more obsession than fun, I shall look inward as to what caused it. Like politics, no one here or in the real world wants to talk about it but if we think about it, it is not really "politics" but rather a part of life.

And it can either impinge or improve upon life itself.

Depending on the subject, I prefer B&W photography but sort of like Mono & Stereo. They each have their benefits. Camera folk are even more "impassioned" about their hobby than are we. The few I know are happy until they get together. That is a hint if ever there were one.

Enough toadish ramblin' for now. I spent some time today getting my 9.2 Atmos set up down to 9.1 due to a faulty sub. I manually adjusted the audio settings and to me at least, it sounds really swell now! Just to be an OCT (Obsessive Compulsive Toad) tomorrow I will run the auto set up via a mic moved several times or so around my approximately 12X11 room and do my very bestest to not muck it up.

Again.

I like your words quoted above, sir. Well stated indeed!

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #84,887 of 151,340
@Jason Stoddard Lokius question re operation in bypassed mode.

the product page FAQ section states
"Let’s talk tech. What about balanced to SE and SE to balanced in Bypass mode?
Balanced uses one phase of the SE, SE uses the positive phase of balanced"

this implies that in bypassed mode the SE output can use the positive phase of the balanced Input or the SE input depending on the setting of the (leftmost) front panel Bal / SE switch.

on my unit, however, the front panel Bal/SE switch is inconsistent in operation:
in bypass mode, Bal/SE Switch is ignored, and the SE output always uses SE input (can't do Bal in / SE out).
in process mode, Bal/SE Switch selects between Bal and SE inputs.

Is this unit defective / in need of repair?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #84,888 of 151,340
But where else will you find another turntable with a VU meter?
Reference-turntable-modulo-close-up-752x551.png

The thing I wonder about is that I don't think Nagra has ever produced a turntableNobody ever gets a new type of product completely right the very first tim

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #84,890 of 151,340
A different audio forum is debating what is “A reference DAC” and you can predict the accusations and recriminations as well as if you went there and read them.

I present A Modest (DAC) Proposal: I nominate the Schiit Modi as the Official Reference DAC for purposes of comparison. I know this sounds high handed. I know that it sounds like something that could never be agreed upon. Hear my thought process:
Second.

What's a dac?

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #84,891 of 151,340
Nope. That's a collector. Hoarders just pile shiiit up in heaps and let it rot / rust / decompose.

That man has everything ordered and filed and I'd guarantee he knows everything he has and where it is.
That's my bad. I didn't know that hoarder had a negative ring to it. In that case yes, a true collector.

Everything well organized. He has original folders, price lists, adds etc. of many of the items he has. Collected over many decades.
I have no doubt at all that he knows exactly what is where, what it is worth, where he bought it, at what price etc, etc.
In one of the rooms a work desk is created to repair broken items. He claims every item is in working condition. It must be thousands.
Some more pictures to give a better impression.

The first picture is the reason of my visiting. He owns lots of old Quad UK gear from the fifties and sixties I am interested in.
The second reason was other brands like Redford, Nagra etc.
Third reason is not so common. The biggest collection I have ever seen of Philips DIY electronics kits from the seventies and eighties. All in the original mint packaging. Hundreds of them. They were very popular in the days. But who stored them in the original box. He even has a DIY build your own TV kit. I'm still flabbergasted.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #84,892 of 151,340
Personally, I think it's great that there are people who can and want to spend six digits on a turntable, uhm, on a "record playback system". Just sitting on your cash isn't helping anyone, so you can just as well hand it over to someone else for the privilege to feel a bit special for a couple of weeks. Keeps the economy humming.
And I'd rather have them spend it on audio gear than a boat or a car, much lower carbon footprint.

I could do without the snobbery, though.

One question: I've only scanned the article, so forgive me if I missed it, but… I know that they're not shipping these before next year, but they've actually build one or two prototypes of these things, right? Because all the images in this article are renderings, not photos. (And pretty bad ones at that, if I may say so myself as a former CG artist…)
I know that this is an established company with a track record, but an avalanche of buzz words paired with cheap renderings smells a bit "Kickstarter scam" to me. I'm not saying that it's a scam, but it sure feels to me like this whole thing is more for show and to get their name in the press than to ever sell an actual unit or two. Think "concept car", just without the effort of actually having to build one.
My idea about this is that they are just hinting to see if there is a market.
Actions like this can keep a company with that reputation/name afloat for a decade if they come up with something like this every year.
Just do the math. 70 items at 170K each.

But it has been done in real life, like this 100th anniversary Prestige model by Thorens. Now second hand for 16-25K.

h59945-0-59945.jpg

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #84,893 of 151,340
If you had originally stated it as you stated it in the above quote then I would not have replied. You may have intended to communicate that, but you didn't exactly say that. In the below quote you made a blanket statement saying audiophiles do not listen to music. I assume by AUDIOPHILES you are referring to those that appreciate the technology that creates the "sounds emanating". My response insinuates that it makes about as much sense as saying photographers seeking out and owning high quality cameras do not appreciate good photographs.

I will agree that SOME audiophiles are not truly music lovers, but I and many here consider themselves to be both audiophiles and music listeners / lovers. I tend to dislike blanket statements applied to groups of people and therefore chose to disagree by citing an example.

BTW -- I did checkout your abstract photography and it is quite good. :wink:
Thanks! Funny enough, I've never owned a Hasselblad :D

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #84,894 of 151,340
If someone finds value in bling, then it is valuable to them. Stop judging other's choices. :)
The "value" in bling is to cover up an insecurity of one type or another. This is the reason advertising tries to create use cases for bling or even tries to create insecurities because without said insecurities, there can be no value in bling.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #84,895 of 151,340
The "value" in bling is to cover up an insecurity of one type or another. This is the reason advertising tries to create use cases for bling or even tries to create insecurities because without said insecurities, there can be no value in bling.
One person’s bling is another person’s need. A friend of mine makes a lot more money than I do but has an intense, high pressure job. I made fun of “ready to bake“ potatoes- they cost more but they are simply washed and wrapped. I thought they were idiotic. She prided herself on actually cooking for her kids, she loved the pre-washed potatoes. I really hurt her feelings. They filled a need to her, to me they were a stupid extravagance.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #84,896 of 151,340
Why bother with a Modi when the dac in your phone works just fine?
Why bother with audio equipment at all when you can just listen to your phone? If you want headphones for said phone, Beats may be a great choice, I assume they work just fine. :ksc75smile: Pretty much anything that converts a digital signal to analog contains a working DAC, they are everywhere. That does not mean each produces the sound most folks involved in audio might want. I had the pleasure of rating 20 different DACS blind with a large group, unfortunately no phones were used; if all votes were equal across the board then one might assume all sounded the same. This did not happen of course but we did find that a DAC selling for $500 might rank above one selling for $4,000. Even when using the same chips the input and output circuitry can make quite a difference IMHO.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #84,897 of 151,340
One person’s bling is another person’s need. A friend of mine makes a lot more money than I do but has an intense, high pressure job. I made fun of “ready to bake“ potatoes- they cost more but they are simply washed and wrapped. I thought they were idiotic. She prided herself on actually cooking for her kids, she loved the pre-washed potatoes. I really hurt her feelings. They filled a need to her, to me they were a stupid extravagance.
I don't know about pre-washed potatoes, but whoever invented pre-cooked bacon should be elected Emperor. :laughing:

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #84,898 of 151,340
I don't know about pre-washed potatoes, but whoever invented pre-cooked bacon should be elected Emperor. :laughing:
I am happy when my wife cooks at all, between Door Dash and Uber Eats the delivery people are wearing a path to my front door. :L3000:

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #84,899 of 151,340
That's my bad. I didn't know that hoarder had a negative ring to it. In that case yes, a true collector.

Everything well organized. He has original folders, price lists, adds etc. of many of the items he has. Collected over many decades.
I have no doubt at all that he knows exactly what is where, what it is worth, where he bought it, at what price etc, etc.
In one of the rooms a work desk is created to repair broken items. He claims every item is in working condition. It must be thousands.
Some more pictures to give a better impression.

The first picture is the reason of my visiting. He owns lots of old Quad UK gear from the fifties and sixties I am interested in.
The second reason was other brands like Redford, Nagra etc.
Third reason is not so common. The biggest collection I have ever seen of Philips DIY electronics kits from the seventies and eighties. All in the original mint packaging. Hundreds of them. They were very popular in the days. But who stored them in the original box. He even has a DIY build your own TV kit. I'm still flabbergasted.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg
I once met a gentleman in Jundiai, Brazil, who had a room full of liquor that looked like this.
It was a good party ... his son was in charge of making the caipirinhas :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #84,900 of 151,340
I am happy when my wife cooks at all, between Door Dash and Uber Eats the delivery people are wearing a path to my front door. :L3000:
When my wife cooks, Door Dash and Uber Eats are on speed dial. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back