Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #84,901 of 149,646
After I sold the Elac, Elma has been doubling as a subwoofer.

5D4E4AC9-F133-4F91-996B-8EC6AC511BEE.jpeg

She also loves carrying her toys everywhere.

BFCCB465-7059-4820-B097-DB204CAC714C.jpeg

5474C0BA-D5A4-4C6C-AF47-D58BEFB8A501.jpeg

21CF2EF0-5CEE-4D35-89F4-983746890A2A.jpeg
Elma is one jazzy dog if she can double as a subwoofer for Bosch :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #84,902 of 149,646
One person’s bling is another person’s need. A friend of mine makes a lot more money than I do but has an intense, high pressure job. I made fun of “ready to bake“ potatoes- they cost more but they are simply washed and wrapped. I thought they were idiotic. She prided herself on actually cooking for her kids, she loved the pre-washed potatoes. I really hurt her feelings. They filled a need to her, to me they were a stupid extravagance.
It is not the fault of the shark if the bather cuts their own wrists prior to entering the water. It's a "pre-washed and wrapped" potato(e). How does that fact or the fact that for many the very idea seems hilarious really harm an adult? This is akin to saying you thought roses lovely until you grabbed one and the thorns pricked you.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #84,903 of 149,646
Elma is one jazzy dog if she can double as a subwoofer for Bosch :)
Good catch, I looked at the photos a couple times and never picked up on Bosch on the screen.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #84,904 of 149,646
Jimmy Thackery is a favorite. I'm a CD short of having his entire collection.

Sonny Landreth. Eric Johnson. Tab Benoit. Coco Montoya. Kenny Neal. Eric Gales. Junior Brown. Matt Schofield. Doyle Bramhall II. Marcus King. Warren Haynes (including Gov't Mule). Derek Trucks. Michael Burks (RIP). Larry McCray. Joe Louis Walker. David Grissom.

I could go on. Lots of talent out there!
A good list for sure. Thackery did some great live work with Tab Benoit, and +1 to Sonny Landreth!
Don't forget the ladies, either: Samantha Fish and JoAnne Shaw Taylor can rock the house :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #84,905 of 149,646
A good list for sure. Thackery did some great live work with Tab Benoit, and +1 to Sonny Landreth!
Don't forget the ladies, either: Samantha Fish and JoAnne Shaw Taylor can rock the house :)
I saw Samantha Fish back in March of this year at a small club. She put on a great show with a basic trio. Nothing like live music.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #84,906 of 149,646
Good catch, I looked at the photos a couple times and never picked up on Bosch on the screen.
I'm an old process/quality guy, so basically a trained observer. What got me was the international interest in the Bosch series ... I've read all the books, but need to watch the series. It comes recommended by more than a few folks here :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #84,907 of 149,646
I saw Samantha Fish back in March of this year at a small club. She put on a great show with a basic trio. Nothing like live music.
My blues mentor and pal @whirlwind saw her recently at a small club in Cleveland, and he said the same thing.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #84,908 of 149,646
I'm an old process/quality guy, so basically a trained observer. What got me was the international interest in the Bosch series ... I've read all the books, but need to watch the series. It comes recommended by more than a few folks here :)
I have read all the books as well as watching the series. As you probably know I went as far as assembling the audio equipment used on the show, just to see what it would sound like in person. :ksc75smile: I also listened to all the jazz from the show and books and borrowed appropriate music (if I did not own it myself) for our listening session, vinyl only. Oh and I did finally get a Marantz 6300 turntable in need of repair for a reasonable price, I later sold it so the whole adventure left me $800 to the good minus maybe ten hours of labor.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #84,909 of 149,646
The "value" in bling is to cover up an insecurity of one type or another. This is the reason advertising tries to create use cases for bling or even tries to create insecurities because without said insecurities, there can be no value in bling.
I am, happy for you that you are so secure in your opinions. It is sad that they are myopic. Please live your life how you see fit and allow others to do the same without your condemnations. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #84,910 of 149,646
I have read all the books as well as watching the series. As you probably know I went as far as assembling the audio equipment used on the show, just to see what it would sound like in person. :ksc75smile: I also listened to all the jazz from the show and books and borrowed appropriate music (if I did not own it myself) for our listening session, vinyl only.
Yep, I've been following this thread. That was a cool project. I enjoyed the Bosch stories and didn't even flinch at all the new jazz CDs I wound up buying. Any stimulus that leads to the discovery of new (for me) music is a welcome part of the hobby.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #84,911 of 149,646
Yep, I've been following this thread. That was a cool project. I enjoyed the Bosch stories and didn't even flinch at all the new jazz CDs I wound up buying. Any stimulus that leads to the discovery of new (for me) music is a welcome part of the hobby.
I am fortunate to have local friends who will take part in some experiments for the fun of it. I have similar friends here I might go to just to get an unbiased opinion, even @bcowen, as long as I don't bother him when there is a full moon. :ksc75smile:

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #84,912 of 149,646
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #84,914 of 149,646
Between the City and the City, my mistake.
I sense you did not enjoy it, my apologies if your reading it was based on my recommendation.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #84,915 of 149,646
Jimmy Thackery is a favorite. I'm a CD short of having his entire collection.

Sonny Landreth. Eric Johnson. Tab Benoit. Coco Montoya. Kenny Neal. Eric Gales. Junior Brown. Matt Schofield. Doyle Bramhall II. Marcus King. Warren Haynes (including Gov't Mule). Derek Trucks. Michael Burks (RIP). Larry McCray. Joe Louis Walker. David Grissom.

I could go on. Lots of talent out there!
I knew there was a reason I liked you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back