Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #84,813 of 150,789
I was just looking at the Schiit B-Stock/Closeout page. It's showing the Asgard 3 as a Closeout product! What gives? An Asgard 4 due soon? :fearful:
Isn't that for the AKM card models?

AKM is being replaced by ESS

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #84,815 of 150,789
Yup. Freya+, Saga+, and Lyr 3 (though not the OG Lyr or Lyr 2).
Thanks for the quick answer, I'm trying to learn a bit about tubes. I knew I could count on the experts here to set me straight.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #84,816 of 150,789
My favorite quote from the review--

The Nagra Reference Anniversary Turntable weighs 176 pounds and costs $175,000 or about $1000 a pound. In the exclusive world of exotic turntables, despite what appears to be the highest level of technology, materials and build quality, the price can rightly be called “lightweight”.

It does look like an amazing machine.
Few here could lift it. Many years ago my son and I went to a nice high end shoppe and they had a similar 'table set on top of pedestal weighing, I believe, just over 500 lbs. Its purpose? To prevent anything less than an earth quake from "upsetting" playback. Sheesh!

Silly sales people. I could move that thing with ease. But that was then and in the now, I am in my twilight. Still I could lift and press this table over head but that would only prove my ego is almost as big as those that created this thing. Of course the folks there said they had heavier platforms that I could not move. Ooookaaaaay! :beerchug:

I just do not under stand frAudiophiles and their mind less proclivities toward listening to music. It is as a cult for over weight nerds. They strain at a (digital) bit and swallow a lie and for what? To appear "better"? Nope. To take away the joy that is just listening to one's memories. Think about that.

Sorry, I am in a mood and that 'table kinda sorta pushed me over, LOL! And that turn table is F U G L Y. To me. :ksc75smile:

ORT - The Grumpy :L3000:

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #84,817 of 150,789
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #84,818 of 150,789
Few here could lift it.
I'll raise my hand at the nerd comment. Worst lift I knowingly dealt with was a 3" Fisher Globe Valve with actuator up 3 flights of stairs (ballpark 57 kg/125 # according to the cut sheet I found before posting).

Probably as heavy/heavier was flipping a piece of set for my room mate in college - 16 foot long, 8 foot wide using 2x6 by 8 foot pressure treat on 16" centers for the center decking and 4x6 by 8 foot for the ends with doubled 2x6 by 16 foot for the long dimension screwed together upside down to give a smooth reference when they added the 2x6 by roughly 16 inch for the casters (moving, rotating, 2 story set with balcony and staircase that was 8x16 foot footprint). Damn stuff was wet too - so between 2.36 and 4.17 pounds a foot (https://roofonline.com/weights-measures/weight-of-pressure-treated-lumber/). That is 466 pounds minimum, 823 pound max but that was pick up from ground level on one 16 foot edge, flip over the other, and put back down gently (like a tire flip, but you have to control the down to avoid damage to the floor).

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #84,819 of 150,789
Sorry, I am in a mood and that 'table kinda sorta pushed me over, LOL! And that turn table is F U G L Y. To me. :ksc75smile:
But where else will you find another turntable with a VU meter?
Reference-turntable-modulo-close-up-752x551.png

The thing I wonder about is that I don't think Nagra has ever produced a turntable before. Nobody ever gets a new type of product completely right the very first time.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #84,820 of 150,789
But where else will you find another turntable with a VU meter?
Reference-turntable-modulo-close-up-752x551.png

The thing I wonder about is that I don't think Nagra has ever produced a turntable before. Nobody ever gets a new type of product completely right the very first time.
When I saw that it included a VU Meter, I could hear Admiral Akbar say, "Toad! It's a TRAP!"
:beerchug:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #84,821 of 150,789
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #84,822 of 150,789
My favorite quote from the review--

The Nagra Reference Anniversary Turntable weighs 176 pounds and costs $175,000 or about $1000 a pound. In the exclusive world of exotic turntables, despite what appears to be the highest level of technology, materials and build quality, the price can rightly be called “lightweight”.

It does look like an amazing machine.

I looked at the picture and figured it might cost around 20k€. Nope, not even close. That’s almost as much as I paid for my house.

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #84,823 of 150,789
Few here could lift it. Many years ago my son and I went to a nice high end shoppe and they had a similar 'table set on top of pedestal weighing, I believe, just over 500 lbs. Its purpose? To prevent anything less than an earth quake from "upsetting" playback. Sheesh!

Silly sales people. I could move that thing with ease. But that was then and in the now, I am in my twilight. Still I could lift and press this table over head but that would only prove my ego is almost as big as those that created this thing. Of course the folks there said they had heavier platforms that I could not move. Ooookaaaaay! :beerchug:

I just do not under stand frAudiophiles and their mind less proclivities toward listening to music. It is as a cult for over weight nerds. They strain at a (digital) bit and swallow a lie and for what? To appear "better"? Nope. To take away the joy that is just listening to one's memories. Think about that.

ORT - The Grumpy :L3000:
Audiophiles don't listen to music. They listen to sounds emanating from playing music. Audiophyllia has nothing to do with music appreciation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #84,825 of 150,789

Users who are viewing this thread

Back