Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #83,386 of 149,295
Somebody call me when we have blu ray players with HDMI 2.1. Why? Well, I want my player to be able to send any frame rate to my TV, which has VRR support, or send 24p at 120 FPS because my TV doesn't know how to undo a 24p to 60 FPS conversion to prevent judder when displaying it at 120 Hz.
It looks like that won't happen for a while, though.

What in sam-hell am I looking at?! no no no no no... :scream:
If you can stomach it: https://www.minidsp.com/products/accessories/phoenix-to-xlr-females-set-1248-detail

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #83,388 of 149,295
I just acquired one of the SX-28 receivers as a restoration project.
How are you with dial cords? I have been putting off replacing one in this world band radio for some time now. :ksc75smile:
88020110-89AC-47B2-A0C2-4730810DB247.jpeg

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #83,389 of 149,295
Circling back on earlier conversation, Warner Brothers announced that Dune Part Two is a go with an October 2023 release date in cinemas only.
So sounds like a Christmas 2023 2-BRD package with both films will be my best bet to see it. :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #83,390 of 149,295
How are you with dial cords? I have been putting off replacing one in this world band radio for some time now. :ksc75smile:
Why doesn't anyone ask me for help?

RedHot.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #83,392 of 149,295
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #83,393 of 149,295
Meh. It's alright. I just follow an Estonian saying. If I'm about to speak out, take a sip of water. Repeat. Repeat. And in the above case, chug the glass! :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #83,394 of 149,295
loosening the non perimeter screws is bad juju. note that with tube amps, there may be hazardous DC voltages STILL present even with the unit powered down and unplugged. unit should be allowed to cool, and the tubes need to be removed. for what purpose are you looking to remove the cover(s)? if it needs servicing (other than a tube swap / replacement), I recommend contacting Schiit...
Holy hell! Careful with that Valhalla. I wouldn't crack it open unless I know how to safely discharge capacitors. DC will hurt just as much as AC. :eyes:

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #83,395 of 149,295
Holy hell! Careful with that Valhalla. I wouldn't crack it open unless I know how to safely discharge capacitors. DC will hurt just as much as AC. :eyes:
Actually, I read a story about how Westinghouse beat out Edison in making AC the standard for electrical transmission over DC. He showed people animals getting killed with DC current. Thank goodness AC current is safe so nothing like that would ever happen.
No, I don't know if the story is true, but it's fun in a PT Barnum way.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #83,396 of 149,295
Actually, I read a story about how Westinghouse beat out Edison in making AC the standard for electrical transmission over DC. He showed people animals getting killed with DC current. Thank goodness AC current is safe so nothing like that would ever happen.
We used to say in the Navy: DC will fuse your smoking body to the buss bar. AC will toss you across the deck in a fireball.
It's the frequency, Kenneth. :)

-edit- I have a 6-inch long scar from my right elbow to the top of my forearm where a 900V multi-farad transmitter capacitor decided my arm was the best path for discharge. Fortunately for me my elbow was grounded when I brushed the terminal or I likely would not be here to tell the tale.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #83,397 of 149,295
Actually they used AC curent to kill an elephant. Edison didn't have anything to do with it, but he did use it to show the danger of AC. 1903 I believe was when they did it, and Edison sent a film crew to record it. But the elephant was set to be euthanized because of killing three people, and electricution was considered the most humane way to do it.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #83,398 of 149,295
Westinghouse had Tesla, and Tesla used to work for Edison. Books like The Current Wars and Empires of Light cover some of the history. The Devil in the White City is a much better read and touches upon some of the competition.

“A.C. is said to be four to five times more dangerous than D.C. For one thing, A.C. causes more severe muscular contractions. ... The frequency of the AC has a lot to do with the effect on the human body. Unfortunately, 60 cycles is in the most harmful range. At this frequency, as little as 25 volts can kill.”

I worked for a few years for the largest color television plant in the world and saw many a technician knocked out of their chairs by 25,000 volts of DC and other than some burns they lived. AC is another matter.

Edison was not able to achieve distance with DC like Westinghouse company did with AC.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #83,399 of 149,295
I am a fan of FLW and have toured many of his houses even though my wife got to see Falling Water without me. He was a Gemini and June 8th is also my birthday. I want to say Wright made early use of concrete and glass bricks and different window materials.
Have you visited his studio / home in Oak Park?

He did make early use of the cantilever design for overhangs. And plenty of stained glass. Not sure about the blocks.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #83,400 of 149,295
Have you visited his studio / home in Oak Park?

He did make early use of the cantilever design for overhangs. And plenty of stained glass. Not sure about the blocks.
I did visit many years ago, I believe he used glass blocks but I am going from memory.😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back