Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #83,401 of 150,704
Since we have been talking Sci-Fi and forms of electricity coming up some of you may or may not know what inspired what many consider to be the first work of science fiction. Frankenstein; or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelly.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...g-legs-helped-inspire-frankenstein-180957457/

Anyway Halloween will soon be here and having been graduated from a school that ends with Institute of Technology I love the background and history of science.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #83,402 of 150,704
We used to say in the Navy: DC will fuse your smoking body to the buss bar. AC will toss you across the deck in a fireball.
It's the frequency, Kenneth. :)

-edit- I have a 6-inch long scar from my right elbow to the top of my forearm where a 900V multi-farad transmitter capacitor decided my arm was the best path for discharge. Fortunately for me my elbow was grounded when I brushed the terminal or I likely would not be here to tell the tale.
EAF bore in - AC furnaces are loud, DC are as well, but its ONLY 1000 V on either of them. And it melts steel beams.

Since we have been talking Sci-Fi and forms of electricity coming up some of you may or may not know what inspired what many consider to be the first work of science fiction. Frankenstein; or the Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelly.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...g-legs-helped-inspire-frankenstein-180957457/

Anyway Halloween will soon be here and having been graduated from a school that ends with Institute of Technology I love the background and history of science.
Yep, another "Institute of Technology" grad here.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #83,403 of 150,704
Stung? Sorry, OldRoadToad... I've been teaching feral teenagers all month. :triportsad:

This chatter reminds me of a chapter from our patron-saint, Lord Stoddard. He was threatened with a cardboard case for a... what... wasn't it a Fulla X... or Magni XY...?
Mine was a quote from the Bogie & Bacall film, "To Have and Have Not". I'm olde.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #83,405 of 150,704
EAF bore in - AC furnaces are loud, DC are as well, but its ONLY 1000 V on either of them. And it melts steel beams.

Yep, another "Institute of Technology" grad here.

I thought so lol. Post grad I studied more business, companies kept paying for my continued education so what the heck.😜

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #83,407 of 150,704
I'm being reminded of the loving relationship between Magenta and RiffRaff... from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :ksc75smile:
LOL! I used to have people I had never met, men and women, ask me to go to that film because they thought I resembled the "Monster". I once got as far as the line to buy tickets but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of Frankenfurter clones and had to leave. Laughing.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #83,408 of 150,704
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #83,409 of 150,704
Wow! I go on vacation and you go from talking about BBQ to interesting stuff. Not that I don't like BBQ...

I am a pretty hardcore SF/Fantasy reader and I actually enjoyed the new Dune. Yes, I thought it was shallow and HE was not very well cast but they held pretty true to the story and the cinematography was nice.

I might be one of the only ones to enjoy Never Ending Story but the rock troll looking at his hands and repeating 'They look like good hands to me.' made the whole movie for me. As a lifelong rock climber I often look at my hands after they failed to hold onto the rock and I fell and think exactly the same thing!

I own 5 pieces of Schiit - Modi 2U, Saga+, Modius, Lyr 3 and Vidar. The ONLY piece that I have not had to send back to get fixed is the Modi, which is also the oldest. It is possible that a tube screwed up my Saga but the rest was pretty much just break in failure. And when my Lyr went it took out my precious, irreplaceable Sony IEMs. So I have not had good luck but I keep buying more Schiit since it sounds so damn good for the price.

Back about 10 pages someone posted the pile of poo in plastic and someone else asked if it was a streamer. Well no, it was a steamer. Sorry, couldn't resist the poo humor.

Ok, I feel caught up now. Thanks for listening.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #83,410 of 150,704
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #83,411 of 150,704
Wow! I go on vacation and you go from talking about BBQ to interesting stuff. Not that I don't like BBQ...

I am a pretty hardcore SF/Fantasy reader and I actually enjoyed the new Dune. Yes, I thought it was shallow and HE was not very well cast but they held pretty true to the story and the cinematography was nice.

I might be one of the only ones to enjoy Never Ending Story but the rock troll looking at his hands and repeating 'They look like good hands to me.' made the whole movie for me. As a lifelong rock climber I often look at my hands after they failed to hold onto the rock and I fell and think exactly the same thing!

I own 5 pieces of Schiit - Modi 2U, Saga+, Modius, Lyr 3 and Vidar. The ONLY piece that I have not had to send back to get fixed is the Modi, which is also the oldest. It is possible that a tube screwed up my Saga but the rest was pretty much just break in failure. And when my Lyr went it took out my precious, irreplaceable Sony IEMs. So I have not had good luck but I keep buying more Schiit since it sounds so damn good for the price.

Back about 10 pages someone posted the pile of poo in plastic and someone else asked if it was a streamer. Well no, it was a steamer. Sorry, couldn't resist the poo humor.

Ok, I feel caught up now. Thanks for listening.
I suspect it was @bcowen who started the BBQ discussion. The poor guy can barely form a sentence without mentioning it at least once.😜😜

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #83,412 of 150,704
We used to say in the Navy: DC will fuse your smoking body to the buss bar. AC will toss you across the deck in a fireball.
It's the frequency, Kenneth. :)

-edit- I have a 6-inch long scar from my right elbow to the top of my forearm where a 900V multi-farad transmitter capacitor decided my arm was the best path for discharge. Fortunately for me my elbow was grounded when I brushed the terminal or I likely would not be here to tell the tale.
Oh my God! They killed Kenny!

Thank goodness that cap didn't store AC...

Seriously, that's a lot of energy. I'm glad you kept your arm.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #83,413 of 150,704

NCIT?

Sorry, @bcowen can't take all the barbs.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #83,414 of 150,704
"It's not the volts that get ya, it's the amps."
"How many amps are there?"
"Enough to push a train! And shut-up, lady!"

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #83,415 of 150,704
[QUOTE="macdonjh, post: 166309

Sorry,

I know Duke is over there, are there other Universities???😜[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back