Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #83,416 of 150,761
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #83,417 of 150,761
Actually, I read a story about how Westinghouse beat out Edison in making AC the standard for electrical transmission over DC. He showed people animals getting killed with DC current. Thank goodness AC current is safe so nothing like that would ever happen.
No, I don't know if the story is true, but it's fun in a PT Barnum way.
Yes - George Westinghouse agreed to to invest in Nikola Tesla's electricity delivery method (Alternating Current), as it supported much longer transmission methods than Edison's locally supplied Direct Current. At the time Tesla was digging ditches after being fired by Edison! Both can be lethal; the charge on a power supply capacitor is pure DC.

Tesla's genius is the realization that using tri-phase delivery hugely increased the energy efficiency of power distribution lines. The Chicago World Exposition was illuminated using AC; Westinghouse won the Niagra Falls contract shortly after.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #83,419 of 150,761
Does anyone know of an analog to digital converter that is in the Schiit mold? I'm looking for something to compliment a Bifrost 2.
look for a second hand Schiit Jil. note that it's mini-size (stacks with modi, magni, etc..) and not in the medium (bifrost 2) size chassis,

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #83,421 of 150,761
look for a second hand Schiit Jil. note that it's mini-size (stacks with modi, magni, etc..) and not in the medium (bifrost 2) size chassis,
you could try placing a WTB ad in the classifieds section here on head-fi, ask them to PM you to prevent being ninja'd by another buyer. also try emailing schiit to see if they have any b-stock or clearance not yet posted on their pages. good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #83,422 of 150,761
Youtube video of a meter repair of a vintage NEC integrated amp. For those who care. Note: in my opinion a large percent of Youtube videos like this, could be cut down from 23 minute to.... 3 minutes. Maybe 5.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #83,423 of 150,761
I saw Dune too...... {{{snip}}}}.....
1. Production design: the 1984 version looked like the far future, an over-the-top baroque melding of styles. It makes you think, "of course it would look like that." 2021 is brutalist slabs with bas reliefs, a much less visionary look.......{{{{{snip}}}}}....2. Sloooooooooowwwww.......{{{snip}}}}.....
I remember watching it as a 12-15 year old at the White Rock cinemas (border town, just north of Blaine, WA). I was surrounded by a confused bunch of movie watchers. People laughing at wrong times. Others wondering if Sting was rock, vegetable, or mineral. And then the movie just ended with those odd credits... with the characters blinking & breathing. We shuffled out wondering what the hell just happened. Yep, David Lynch. :triportsad:

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #83,424 of 150,761
There's very little in the way of memorable science fiction films, .....{{{snip}}}....Children of Men,....{{{snip}}}}.....
Christ Almighty. That movie was a messed up work of art. I watched it once. And its haunting scenes still linger with me. That elderly couple hiding out in the bush... I'm half-serious about mimicking that dude's preparation with our front driveway out on the North Bruce Peninsula. :triportsad:

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #83,425 of 150,761
Oct 27, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #83,426 of 150,761
Love the classics. I recently reread the entire Foundation series, and look forward to the Robot novels again, which I haven't done in over 40 years.

Got distracted, though, with the Lensman and Skylark books, which I get back to every few years. And Venus Equilateral, of course. 😁

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #83,427 of 150,761
....{{{{snip}}}.....Planet of the Apes and Solyent Green......{{{snip}}}....A guilty pleasure is Disney's The Black Hole.
I remember watching that Disney flick in the movie house.... and getting creeped out when our protagonist removed one of the drone's face Shields. And then when our unhinged Captain-Nemo character somehow gets into the exoskeleton of his killer-robo-henchman (while he got sucked into the singularity). I purchased its comic book later to figure out what the hell happened at the movie's climax.

Stay away from the little green squares of 'green, eh. Oh, and garbage dump trucks. No no no no no. Yeesh. :ksc75smile:

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #83,428 of 150,761
A little off-topic, but it involves my Schiit-rig, so I'll try here..

I'm looking for a good multi-port GROUNDED usb charger. I currently have an Anker and, like most usb charging hubs, it is not grounded. The result is..

1. I get a slight tingling feeling when I touch my laptop. This is normal, apparently, but feels weird.
2. I get a clear hum in my headphones when I touch my laptop. (Intolerable!)

Replacing the Anker charger with a grounded one should solve both of these issues, but I can't find a clear recommendation on one anywhere. They also seem quite rare, with most being combo USB chargers / AC-Outlet extenders..

Anyone have a good grounded USB charger recommendation (US outlet)?
Off topic? Nah... :ksc75smile:
My vote - I'd stay with the Anker-branded chargers. I'm satisfied with this model (link to model PowerPort I PD with 1PD and 4 PIQ). Re: hum. That can be a bloody nuisance. If you know it's not a wobbly/loose/worn-out headphone jack on your laptop, I'd pick up a UPS that has some kind of power conditioning (like this one [model: CyberPower CP685AVRG AVR UPS System, 685VA/390W, 8 Outlets, Compact]).

Re: tingling sensation on your laptop. ***, that's no good! I fear an electrical short and that won't be good for your kit (or you for that matter [despite it being <<120VAC... I warn my junior electricians that DC can hurt just as much as AC]). Get that laptop repaired or toss it out.

Anyway, that's my advice... my 2 cents. Welcome to the thread, @fugimax :)

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #83,429 of 150,761
you could try placing a WTB ad in the classifieds section here on head-fi, ask them to PM you to prevent being ninja'd by another buyer. also try emailing schiit to see if they have any b-stock or clearance not yet posted on their pages. good luck in your search.
My vote, stay with the headfi thread, @TheTechQ . Bad actors tend to be banned on this site. Zero tolerance from our mutant sisters-and-brothers.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #83,430 of 150,761
How are you with dial cords? I have been putting off replacing one in this world band radio for some time now. :ksc75smile:
88020110-89AC-47B2-A0C2-4730810DB247.jpeg
I have not replaced a dial cord since about 1969, and my eyesight and dexterity were much better back then. But, I would not hesitate to try today. The secret ingredients are a spool of real dial cord, a stringing diagram (which you may have to create), a good tensioning spring, and lots of patience (which I probably have in short supply).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back