Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #81,406 of 149,479
In my uninformed imagination, you basically melt (smelt, apparently) raw copper and then pull/squeeze it out through a hole somehow. Imagine pulling a fuzzy wet rope through a hole you form with your fingers - the fuzzy bits will mostly point in the opposite direction of the rope's movement. So if you look at the rope from the front it's much smoother, i.e. the surface area is much lower than if you look at it from the back. Back to the wire, this would mean the wire is less able to pick up radio waves in one direction than the other. So I suppose you want the end of the wire that came out first to be connected to the source device (say, a DAC) and the other side to the target device (say, an integrated amp) so that the direction more susceptible to noise is towards the source end, just like you would connect a shield on that side only, and so the noise gets drained to ground.

Now that's just my vivid imagination trying to make sense of astounding claims by one Garth Powell, I have not progressed past the point of ignorance, skepticism and confusion.
If there are folds in the wire, the rolling mill is goofed up. Grains should be longer in the rolled direction (depending on heat treatment, grains can get complicated) but irregular grain structures - especially in steel products - is normally bad unless it is a very special application. Rolling direction does matter, you are supposed to alternate in long tanks, stagger the welds, etc - but long products are thankfully simpler.
But in Texas you can sub as a Hooker? :)
Some steel mills still have a job in hot mills called a hooker. Basically hooks and unhooks stuff from the crane.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #81,407 of 149,479
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out, as I do like urban fantasy. :relaxed:
Ok one of my favorite novels of all time can probably be classified as steam punk but it has a story line that is amazing. Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. That is his pen name, his father's pen name was John LeCarr'e.

A couple of quotes..

“The trouble with shooting people, Edie Banister now remembers, is that it's so hard to do just one.”
― Nick Harkaway, Angelmaker

“Edie Banister, wearing a false moustache which tastes of tiger flank and erotic dancer, sitting six storeys up on the windowsill of the aged mother of a renownedly murderous prince, takes a few seconds to contemplate the unusual direction of her life.”

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #81,409 of 149,479
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #81,410 of 149,479
Ok one of my favorite novels of all time can probably be classified as steam punk but it has a story line that is amazing. Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. That is his pen name, his father's pen name was John LeCarr'e.

A couple of quotes..

“The trouble with shooting people, Edie Banister now remembers, is that it's so hard to do just one.”

“Edie Banister, wearing a false moustache which tastes of tiger flank and erotic dancer, sitting six storeys up on the windowsill of the aged mother of a renownedly murderous prince, takes a few seconds to contemplate the unusual direction of her life.”

That looks good. I just reserved a copy at my library.

:beerchug:
Cheers,
JC

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #81,411 of 149,479
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #81,412 of 149,479
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out, as I do like urban fantasy. :relaxed:
Any time! If you’d like authors and characters, PM me, but easy enough to find. The All Souls Trilogy from Harkness is a thing of beauty and elegance. 2nd series of TV done, 3rd in progress, IIRC. Well done, too. Harry Dresden is a perennial fave, though.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #81,413 of 149,479
You will not be disappointed IMHO.
A short read, but a masterful execution, is a very short epistolary novel called Ella Minnow Pea. It's always high on my list of recommendations. Unique, to say the least. Mark Dunn.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #81,414 of 149,479
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #81,415 of 149,479
Yes it's disappointing and a bit depressing sometimes. But then I remember that my grandparents got through five years of Nazi occupation of Norway during WW2 and compared to that our situation is not so bad. We'll get through this.
It is over 75 year since the germans left norway. But still possible to see they was here

https://www.misje.com/syreneset-fort-karmoy/

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #81,416 of 149,479
Any time! If you’d like authors and characters, PM me, but easy enough to find. The All Souls Trilogy from Harkness is a thing of beauty and elegance. 2nd series of TV done, 3rd in progress, IIRC. Well done, too. Harry Dresden is a perennial fave, though.
I read Harkness years ago and those are very entertaining. As far as series, I have read all of Michael Connely, Elmore Leonard, Raymond Chandler, Carl Hiaasen, Scott Lynch, and of course the Pendergast serious by Preston and Child. It was just so much easier to select 17 books or so and not have to find new titles all the time. :) I used to drive two hours a day so Audible books helped.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #81,417 of 149,479
Here we go again. Is there a translation guide for those of us who aren't fluent in rugby/Yorkshire speak? :beerchug:
FWIW, I've got a good friend who's a part-time hooker. In his world, it means that he hooks up tractors to trailers for the OTR drivers. As always, YMMV.

Edit - OTR may be somewhat vague for some.
https://greatcdltraining.com/blog/what-does-otr-trucking-mean
Not all at once, no. There should be a separate thread for that. But here's a kernel of rugby-speak:
Hooker: the player who is in the center position of the front row in the scrum. His job is to "hook" the ball to his side of the scrum with his foot after the scrum-half rolls it down the center between the two team. Hence: "hooker". The hooker is also usually the player who throws the ball into play during a line-out.
Back-row: the three players who form the back row in the scrum: open-side (or strong side) flanker, blind-side (or weak-side) flanker, and 8-man.

As for scrum and line-out, you're on your own for now.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #81,419 of 149,479
I read Harkness years ago and those are very entertaining. As far as series, I have read all of Michael Connely, Elmore Leonard, Raymond Chandler, Carl Hiaasen, Scott Lynch, and of course the Pendergast serious by Preston and Child. It was just so much easier to select 17 books or so and not have to find new titles all the time. :) I used to drive two hours a day so Audible books helped.
If you like Connelly, I'd suggest watching all the Bosh series on Prime. Especially if you like jazz........

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #81,420 of 149,479
If you like Connelly, I'd suggest watching all the Bosh series on Prime. Especially if you like jazz........
I have seen all of the series as well as reading the books. Because of Bosch I started listening to more of Art Pepper, Chet Baker, et alia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back