Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #81,391 of 145,622
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #81,392 of 145,622
Why they announced their dates a couple weeks after Axpona announced theirs and tried to put on their show two weeks before the biggest show in the country puzzled me at the time. Oh well.

I had a nice time chatting with Mike and the rest of the Schiit gang at the last RMAF. The less people can actually see stuff and gear that's affordable all set up play with it and listen to it doesn't seem positive. Not everyone living around Colorado will up and fly to LA just to go to the Schiitr.....cheaper to do that at home!

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #81,393 of 145,622
Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 4.22.08 PM.png

Texas is generally a good place to do business, although no place is perfect. Jason, Mike et.al did their due diligence before opening shop in Corpus Christi.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #81,394 of 145,622
A Suitable Boy and A Fine Balance are longer novels that I still think about. The characters became so familiar i remember them like people.

On another tangent, On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are others I still reflect upon. Every time I attend union meetings Animal Farm is all I can think about.

Is literature on the tangent?
Cutting for Stone is one of my favorites.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #81,395 of 145,622
Something similar happened to me this year. I lost fifteen minutes, not three days. It took me two weeks of questioning my mates to piece together what happened.

Kind of true. There are differences in the rules between rugby and American football which serve to protect rugby players somewhat. Provided they are taught the fundamentals properly and the referee is on his (or her) toes.

Rugby is a great sport to play. One of the things which impressed me most about rugby is in a sport with so much opportunity for foul play how rarely it happens. Generally, a great bunch of people.

Yikes. I retired after eight seasons (ten years, took one off for a blown ACL, one off when our son was born). I simply couldn't keep up with the kids (on or off the field) anymore. Really, I was too divided to play: when I was training I wished I was at home with our kids, when I was home with our kids I knew I should have been training and not letting my team down.

Props are crazy, it's much safer in the back row. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are crazies out there, I substituted as a hooker a few times (refs, at least in TX, were very cautious about letting guys "sub" as props, it's a very technical position with lots of ways to be injured).
But in Texas you can sub as a Hooker? :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #81,396 of 145,622
There are books I loved but never want to read again. I was happy to read On the Road and Catcher at certain periods of my life but I would much rather go back and read su The Secret History by Donna Tarrt. Movies are the same way for me, I thought Sophie's choice was remarkable yet I never want to see it again. Give me a Kubrick movie and I am there. Same with Shawshank Redemption, or anything by Walter Tevis. The Hustler, Color of Money, and recently the Queens Gambit. ( I have watched it 7 or 8 times and replayed all the games.)
Funny post...

I've heard of A Gentleman in Moscow, but haven't tried reading it.

I've thought of trying Joyce, but haven't yet. I keep getting distracted by music.

On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are not for me... While I know Kerouac's style is part of the adventure, it just got in my way and bothered me. I never could identify with Holden's troubles. I even revisited his angst as an adult... There is so much junior high and high school literature wasted on teenagers. I hope at least some kids go back and try reading some of the books they hated again when they're older.
For me the re-read (over and over) is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey & Maturin series.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #81,397 of 145,622
Phew... a guy takes a couple weeks off the thread and comes back to 150+ pages to catch up on. Recurve bows and new DAC chips and British roadsters, I missed quite the conversation!

As penance, here's some of what's been occupying that time (well, at least what counts as on-topic):

IMG_9216.JPG

This is Lindy, 7 months old and a total noodle. Joined the household last Sunday, in theory to keep Chelsea (below, left) company and give her someone faster than me to run around in the yard with.

IMG_9201.JPG

And then there's this little guy:

c4.jpg

Can I say its job is to keep the Miata company?

If you all think your tube amps get warm, try driving with your feet ensconced in the entire exhaust stack of what's oddly the largest displacement engine at our house. Current project is wrapping the exhaust headers and applying reflective gold foil to the footbox.

Now to finish the workday listening to an ipod 3G plugged into a Fulla 2 (makes me one of the three or so people who make use of the analog input) before a weekend of my own form of knee destruction: checking off a few more of the 48 over 4k.

I think that catches me up pretty far along the sine wave.

-James
Is that a Westfield? I'm assuming not a genuuuuiiiiine 7.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #81,398 of 145,622
Phew... a guy takes a couple weeks off the thread and comes back to 150+ pages to catch up on. Recurve bows and new DAC chips and British roadsters, I missed quite the conversation!

As penance, here's some of what's been occupying that time (well, at least what counts as on-topic):

This is Lindy, 7 months old and a total noodle. Joined the household last Sunday, in theory to keep Chelsea (below, left) company and give her someone faster than me to run around in the yard with.

If you all think your tube amps get warm, try driving with your feet ensconced in the entire exhaust stack of what's oddly the largest displacement engine at our house. Current project is wrapping the exhaust headers and applying reflective gold foil to the footbox.

Now to finish the workday listening to an ipod 3G plugged into a Fulla 2 (makes me one of the three or so people who make use of the analog input) before a weekend of my own form of knee destruction: checking off a few more of the 48 over 4k.

-James
Wow! Great pictures of Lindy and Chelsea.
The Lotus 7 looks fantastic! ( I assume it is a Lotus, but could be a Caterham or similar?)
I have lusted after one for years but I am just too tall; unless I wore a full face helmet I'd be a human fly screen in Summer :relaxed:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #81,400 of 145,622
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #81,401 of 145,622

IMG_9216.JPG

IMG_9201.JPG

c4.jpg

-James
James we have similar cars,

Rod

Attachments

• 1630705544019.png
    1630705544019.png
    857.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #81,402 of 145,622
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #81,403 of 145,622
For me the re-read (over and over) is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey & Maturin series.

Amen to that sir. I have read the entire series at least 5 times now. Wonderful writing, amazing characters, fabulous sense of time and place as historical fiction. Some of the best novels written in the English language.

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #81,404 of 145,622
I saw on the USA news channels that Texas was becoming a hostile environment.
Well, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of people who can validate the following statement: The friendliest conversations I’ve had with strangers have been in Texas, not in the coasts. Trust me. They news you saw were probably talking about the current controversy around a specific law, which riles up a tiny percent of people in either side, yet it sounds like everybody is arguing about such things at full volume and all the time.

Back to Schiity music.

Does anybody have experience with mani and Grado timbre low output cartridges (say, in the mid-range of price)? Would like to know about your gain settings…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back