Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #78,481 of 151,551
Hopefully that cable will not cost more than the headphones themselves lol. They were what $160 or so on Drop?
No, that would be crazy. Their headphone cables are usually $30-$40 for standard connectors (3.5mm, 2.5 mm). Here's the link for the HE-4XX cable. You still need to buy the amp-end adapters but they're relatively cheap.

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...lanced-headphone-cable?variant=31299690627153

Yep, I got my 4XX for $160 from Drop last year.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #78,482 of 151,551
My brother downloaded, and paid for, a lot of music from iTunes and would never touch the company again, as DRM stopped him playing these files on non-Apple devices.

Not to further ignite the anti-Apple fire (I'm typing this from my Macbook, after all), but I remember some horror stories of iTunes getting rid of what it supposed were duplicate files in people's libraries (based on matching title and artist, IIRC), automatically and without user consent.
Think about having the same track in the studio and live version (or a remaster) and iTunes going "welp, that can't be right! Let's delete one of them!".

I started staying the hell away from iTunes after I bad farewell to iPods and even back then I hated it. I suppose it was more buggy back then than it is now, but I'm not going to ever touch that piece of garbage ever again.
For what it's worth, I mostly listen to my music on CD, but when I prefer the convenience of streaming my ripped files, it's from my NAS by using the Music app by Synology. Nothing special, but it works fine for my (limited) requirements: I'm not looking for a software coming up with suggestions on what to listen to next, support for streaming services or anything of the sort, so I'm happy with something basic

edit: typos

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #78,483 of 151,551
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #78,484 of 151,551
Not to further ignite the anti-Apple fire (I'm typing this from my Macbook, after all), but I remember some horror stories of iTunes getting rid of what it supposed were duplicate files in people's libraries (based on matching title and artist, IIRC), automatically and without user consent.
Think about having the same track in the studio and live version (or a remaster) and iTunes going "welp, that can't be right! Let's delete one of them!".

I started staying the hell away from iTunes after I bid farewell to iPods and even back then I hated it. I suppose it was more buggy back then than it is now, but I'm not going to ever touch that piece of garbage ever again.
For what it's worth, I mostly listen to my music on CD, but when I prefer the convenience of streaming my ripped files, it's from my NAS by using the Music app by Synology. Nothing special, but it works fine for my (limited) requirements: I'm not looking for a software coming up with suggestions on what to listen to next, support for streaming services or anything of the sort, so I'm happy with something basic

I'm not anti-Apple either as I'm typing this on my Mac Mini. Getting rid of "duplicates" and moving songs out of their album folder and into the "compilations" folder is what made me stop using iTunes. Absolutely maddening. Yes, I realize it was partially my fault for leaving the "Keep iTunes folder organized" button checked when I imported my library but IMO that should not be the default setting.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #78,485 of 151,551

I remember having the opposite problem with iTunes. I had my music organized in folders and for some reason iTunes decided to duplicate most, but not all, of my files in its own library folder. It was a nightmare trying to figure out what I had duplicates of, especially in MacOS' terrible file manager.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #78,486 of 151,551
So today Carcass released a new single, "Kelly's Meat Emporium."

I doubt anybody in this thread would appreciate the music—that's fair—but this is a classic example of how the Loudness War ruins sound quality even when it's not getting into "Death Magnetic" or "Californication" territory *. The song peaks at -1.1db, so it doesn't clip and even has some headroom for inter-sample peaks—yet drums take a step back or twenty as soon as bass and guitars join the fray. Thanks, DR6 mastering. Had it been mastered to a healthy DR10+, drums could have sounded as good as they do in the intro all the song through. Sigh.

* Some artists and people think avoiding that level of insanity is sufficient not to engage in the Loudness War. An unfortunate misconception if there ever was one.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #78,488 of 151,551
for most headphones that have separate detachable connectors for each earcup, a balanced cable can be made (or purchased pre-assembled), terminating at the amplifier end in either: dual 3-pin XLRs, a single 4-pin XLR (like on Magnius / Jotunheim 2 / MJ2), or a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector. IMO many headphone aftermarket cables are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

@OldRoadToad Given that you like the sound of your (single-ended) all-tube Valhalla 2, another option to consider: instead of spending $50-$100 for a HE-4XX balanced cable, get either an Asgard 3 ($199) or Jotunheim 2 ($399) amplifier to use with the existing Single Ended HE-4XX (1/4" TRS connector) cable instead. Both of these are more likely to impart a warmer more tube-like sound than the Magnius, and by changing the gain settings via a front panel switch, there are some variations possible in the voicing.
I really love the Asgard 3.... and I bought it because most of my stuff is single-ended

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #78,489 of 151,551

@OldRoadToad as I recall in the past you have helped other folks with audio gear, PM me your address and I will gift you a balanced cable. I have some HE4xx's laying around I forgot I owned so it is easy enough for me to get the pin out on such a cable. They use standard 3.5mm TRS connectors on the headphone cups and can build this from things I have laying around my home shop. Quality sample wire is often given to me and I am sure I have enough to do an eight wire braid such as this one I did for a friends ZMF Verites.
That is very kind of you but my children said they are going to be getting me a pair of cables that will fit my 'phones for Father's Day (my son poked his virtual head in here and read this thread!) ! I will use them once I have an amp that has a balanced output and at the least I will look cool! But this does not mean I will not take you up on this one day, my friend. So long as I can return the favor in some small way with a gift of my own. In time I think I can do so. I very much appreciate the kindness, believe me. I told my son about the 4 VU Meter setup you made for my premature demise and he too thought that was sweet looking! He did not say if he looked at the picture you put up but he probably did! A couple of years ago he got me some sunglasses with "The Toad" in one of the lenses! Both here and in the real world I am a fortunate man.

It says beneath your avatar that you are a "member of the trade" and I looked up the company. That is fantastic that you own a business and employ people! I really meant that! That is just great!

Again, thank you and I hope to be able to take you up on that offer down the road, my friend.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that picture of those headphones and the cable look really cool and there's a watch in the photo! Watches are just plain gentlemanly, if that makes sense. I have a few one of which is (I think) well over 100 years old now. It's an Illinois pocket watch. That and my Cat In The Hat wrist watch from the early 70s that used to help me strike up a conversation with women back then...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #78,490 of 151,551
for most headphones that have separate detachable connectors for each earcup, a balanced cable can be made (or purchased pre-assembled), terminating at the amplifier end in either: dual 3-pin XLRs, a single 4-pin XLR (like on Magnius / Jotunheim 2 / MJ2), or a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector. IMO many headphone aftermarket cables are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

@OldRoadToad Given that you like the sound of your (single-ended) all-tube Valhalla 2, another option to consider: instead of spending $50-$100 for a HE-4XX balanced cable, get either an Asgard 3 ($199) or Jotunheim 2 ($399) amplifier to use with the existing Single Ended HE-4XX (1/4" TRS connector) cable instead. Both of these are more likely to impart a warmer more tube-like sound than the Magnius, and by changing the gain settings via a front panel switch, there are some variations possible in the voicing.
Thank you for these recommendations! I will give it consideration as I do like my Valhalla 2 a LOT! Especially in the dark with Ella Fitzgerald singing to me and me alone. I just sent a couple of relatives some inexpensive bluetooth headphones as that is what they said they could really use. My brother is enjoying his new HifIMan HE headphones and I asked him if he would like to try the balanced way sometime down the road and he said he would think about it. He and his wife are now retired and mostly working around the house. Their favorite bluetooth headphones are a couple of those Bose Soundwear Companions. They REALLY like them, especially so my sister-in-law. That is what makes a gift worth giving, knowing it is not only appreciated but that it truly makes them happy. They use them for casual listening working around their home and garden. I am rambling...

Thank you again!

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #78,491 of 151,551
That is very kind of you but my children said they are going to be getting me a pair of cables that will fit my 'phones for Father's Day (my son poked his virtual head in here and read this thread!) ! I will use them once I have an amp that has a balanced output and at the least I will look cool! But this does not mean I will not take you up on this one day, my friend. So long as I can return the favor in some small way with a gift of my own. In time I think I can do so. I very much appreciate the kindness, believe me. I told my son about the 4 VU Meter setup you made for my premature demise and he too thought that was sweet! He did not say if he looked at the picture you put up but he probably did! A couple of years ago he got me some sunglasses with "The Toad" in one of the lenses! Both here and in the real world I am a fortunate man.

It says beneath your avatar that you are a "member of the trade" and I looked up the company. That is fantastic that you own a business and employ people! I really meant that! That is just great!

Again, thank you and I hope to be able to take you up on that offer down the road, my friend.

If you need help call on me, I barely survived a heart attack some years back so my perspective on helping my fellow man is not always understood.

Tom

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #78,492 of 151,551
I am just the General Manager.

If you need help call on me, I barely survived a heart attack some years back so my perspective on helping my fellow man is not always understood.

Tom
To be a manager is more than just managing, brother. You take care of not just things, but the people that make them. As for your perspective, having been ill for a while now, I think I understand exactly what you mean, my friend. My mortality looks at me daily from the mirror and I must face it rather than hide as though it were my Picture of Dorian Gray. A neighbor passed last week. His wife is a sweetheart and she is fortunate to have one of their daughters with her off and on. To be one alone after so many decades of being twogether, if you will, seems to me a painful experience.

In all ways and for always, be well.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #78,493 of 151,551

I started staying the hell away from iTunes after I bad farewell to iPods and even back then I hated it. I suppose it was more buggy back then than it is now, but I'm not going to ever touch that piece of garbage ever again.

edit: typos
I tried out Apple Music a couple of years ago. I keep my FLAC and MP3 libraries separate, so I decided to "merge" my MP3 library with AM. Big mistake. It went through my entire MP3 library and replaced the embedded artwork in hundreds (thousands?) of MP3s with the WRONG artwork! I was so pissed and decided there and then that I will never subscribe to AM.

To this day, I find MP3 albums on my iPhone that have the wrong artwork and it is a PIA to manually go and correct them (yes, I know there are automated solutions).

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #78,494 of 151,551
So today Carcass released a new single, "Kelly's Meat Emporium."

I doubt anybody in this thread would appreciate the music—that's fair—but this is a classic example of how the Loudness War ruins sound quality even when it's not getting into "Death Magnetic" or "Californication" territory *. The song peaks at -1.1db, so it doesn't clip and even has some headroom for inter-sample peaks—yet drums take a step back or twenty as soon as bass and guitars join the fray. Thanks, DR6 mastering. Had it been mastered to a healthy DR10+, drums could have sounded as good as they do in the intro all the song through. Sigh.

* Some artists and people think avoiding that level of insanity is sufficient not to engage in the Loudness War. An unfortunate misconception if there ever was one.
Listen and have a look at an often used "reference" track Jazz variants by O-Zone percussion group on the Samba CD. It clips at + 1.5 dB. It is a great drum track, but the way it was put on CD is a pity. Probably done to get a maximum bass drum impact. So unrealistic.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #78,495 of 151,551
If Herr Stoddard happens to read this, I should very much appreciate his giving consideration to a card for the Jotunheim and Lyr that has both Coax and Toslink capabilities. Both because I have and use both and do not desire to have to swap cards to use different sources.

And so you know this is me, I would also appreciate a pair of VU Meters up front. Next to the power switch. Because I have long grown weary of doing the Schiit ReachAround. Yup. If you could achieve at the least the input card within the next few months I will speak to the Pope on your behalf and even donate a bit toward an "Indulgence" Fund (kinda sorta a Catholic spiritual "GoFundMe", LOL!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back