Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #78,511 of 150,446
LOL! I'm not that far behind you. My first (and last) computer class involved many hours of waiting in line to get on the IBM punch card machine. Anybody remember COBOL? :smile:
I recall a computer at the University of Louisville and a game called You Lose. Basically it asked you to pick a number between one and ten and no matter your answer it responded You Lose, take off your clothes!! Later we had no such games as I attended a university that ended in Institute of Technology but such is life. You have to get serious sometime.😜

By the way I received a couple 1962 Melz 1578's, and the 63 has nothing on them, a wonderful tube. Not lacking across their entire range, well balanced. I am attempting to buy more and will try to send one your way one day if I get a couple back ups.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #78,512 of 150,446
I started with a Valhalla 2 and have owned most of the tube gear Schiit ever sold including Coaster amps.😜 AudioGal certainly has a knowledge of tubes that I struggle to recall. I had tube theory in college but that was back when @bcowen was a pup, many moons ago.😀
You are much too kind, sir. Thank you.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #78,513 of 150,446
LOL! I'm not that far behind you. My first (and last) computer class involved many hours of waiting in line to get on the IBM punch card machine. Anybody remember COBOL? :smile:
Picture (clause) this…

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #78,514 of 150,446
You are much too kind, sir. Thank you.
I am very happy that an Incubus ended up in your hands, you understand and respect my humble efforts; I just wish it was prettier, sigh. My work is nearly done building for folks I respect, maybe a couple more and I will be done. Soon I hope to buy a large lot of early Melz and you must hear one of those. Soundstage can take your breath away, it is that crazy good. IMHO

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #78,516 of 150,446
Otis has finally joined the family :)

IMG_2642.JPG

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #78,518 of 150,446
Jun 20, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #78,519 of 150,446
Not knocking it (it's the only code I ever kind of semi-learned), just thought it had gone the way of Compuserve and Foxpro. Guess not!
The other one hanging on is FORTRAN due to the defense/space industries having a hard time switching over, or at least they were a decade ago.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #78,520 of 150,446
The other one hanging on is FORTRAN due to the defense/space industries having a hard time switching over, or at least they were a decade ago.
My son used it during scientific research at his alma mater and now along with work he does for the DOD last I heard, so it is certainly still around.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #78,521 of 150,446
My son used it during scientific research at his alma mater and he now along with work he does for the DOD last I heard, so it is certainly still around.
Predictable precision is still important. :D

Fortran4 was the first 'high level' language I learned; I once wrote an entire accounting package therein.

Computed gotos, though...

I then spent some 30 years programming professionally in C/C++. Alongside Python and a host of others, besides various assemblers and architecture independent meta languages.

Blah. Now I drink things and listen to music, and occasionally hack HTML.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #78,522 of 150,446
Predictable precision is still important. :D

Fortran4 was the first 'high level' language I learned; I once wrote an entire accounting package therein.

Computed gotos, though...

I then spent some 30 years programming professionally in C/C++. Alongside Python and a host of others, besides various assemblers and architecture independent meta languages.

Blah. Now I drink things and listen to music, and occasionally hack HTML.
LOL my son is still in the game, he started at age four under my tutelage and has built a successful career. I also began teaching him chess then but alas he was no prodigy.

He is in town for Father's day but we mostly talk music and scotch but now it is tending toward bourbons so I get the music and drinks part. :ksc75smile: Yesterday I was annoying my son with movie music, Harold Faltermeyer. Axel Foley and Fletch themes up until he took over my computer and found his own music.

Happy Father's Day!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #78,523 of 150,446
I've had the privilege of listening to one of @Paladin79 's Incubus amplifiers with the Melz 1578 and a GE 5998, and it is an astoundingly glorious sound, top to bottom. I liked the sound of the GE 5998 over the Svetlana 6n13p/6AS7A, full yet tight bottom end.

No Scotch was harmed in this evaluation.
Good to know your scotch is properly cared for.

I spent the evening at my other hobby den. Since we expected clouds, we brought scotch. I was able to try several: the Laphroaig was not what I expected at all. I think I still prefer scotch without the peat, but I kind of liked the Laphroaig. The Lagavulin I didn't like as much, but I can't describe why. The Glenmorangie was also unexpected, but wasn't my favorite of the evening. There was also a bottle of Kirkland, purchased at Costco. I didn't like it. Of the bottles brought by others, the Dalmore and Macallan sherry cask were my favorites of the evening.

The clouds parted for a while and we were treated to pretty steady sky for a couple of hours. The moon was bright enough to wash out the view of most everything outside our solar system so I looked at it. I have a couple of filters I'd been anxious to try, so that was fun. All observing was accompanied by a random playlist (Beethoven to Davis to Riverside and lots in between) played through a Loki. I played around with the knobs to the right, but that bass knob remains my favorite. It helps the sound of that mini mid-fi system the most.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #78,524 of 150,446

I spent the evening at my other hobby den. Since we expected clouds, we brought scotch. I was able to try several: the Laphroaig was not what I expected at all. I think I still prefer scotch without the peat, but I kind of liked the Laphroaig. The Lagavulin I didn't like as much, but I can't describe why. The Glenmorangie was also unexpected, but wasn't my favorite of the evening. There was also a bottle of Kirkland, purchased at Costco. I didn't like it. Of the bottles brought by others, the Dalmore and Macallan sherry cask were my favorites of the evening.

The clouds parted for a while and we were treated to pretty steady sky for a couple of hours. The moon was bright enough to wash out the view of most everything outside our solar system so I looked at it. I have a couple of filters I'd been anxious to try, so that was fun. All observing was accompanied by a random playlist (Beethoven to Davis to Riverside and lots in between) played through a Loki. I played around with the knobs to the right, but that bass knob remains my favorite. It helps the sound of that mini mid-fi system the most.
Sample some of Balvenie if you get a chance, the older the better.😀 I am not a fan of heavily peated scotch myself.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #78,525 of 150,446

I spent the evening at my other hobby den. Since we expected clouds, we brought scotch. I was able to try several: the Laphroaig was not what I expected at all. I think I still prefer scotch without the peat, but I kind of liked the Laphroaig.
I like Laphroaig on occasion. None of my family or friends will drink my Quarter Cask so there's always plenty for me. I like the Laphroaig commercials:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back