Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #78,452 of 152,711
JRiver is inexpensive, but not quite free. I think a single license is $50. When update time comes around, typically in the spring, you can get the update for a reduced price of $25, $30-something if you wait. One thing I like about JRiver is you don't have to update every year. I had MC24 and waited until MC27 was released before upgrading because MC27 had a feature I'd been asking for. Same upgrade cost: $25 for early birds.

I haven't really gotten into streaming, I don't know if or how JRiver integrates with streaming services.

I like Audirvana's graphics better. But I've really used the JRiver "smartlists" a lot. They are playlists generated by a database search of your library. For example, I could ask JRiver to find me 5GB of audio files I've rated four stars or higher, but this month I don't want to listen to any "metal". Oh, and sort the songs alphabetically by song title. Enter those criteria in the smartlist creation screen, click "apply" and your smartlist is created. From the trial version, I couldn't tell if Audirvana has a similar feature.

iTunes is overpriced...

My son likes Foobar. His library is on his phone.
I used JRiver Media Center for several years and enjoyed it. I auditioned Audirvana and Roon as a JRiver replacement before settling on Roon and haven't looked back. As @Ableza stated, the cost for me is moot because it does exactly what I want it to do. I ponied up for a lifetime license so the cost/year issue gets better the longer I use it.

There'e at least one area where PC>Mac and that is the availability of options for media players. I haven't had a PC for years but I've seen nothing but positive feedback on Foobar and several of the options mentioned in the last day or two. Media Monkey has always looked like an appealing product but there's not a native Mac version.

iTunes is overpriced...

iTunes many faults is what sent me looking for alternatives. Gordon Bethune, former CEO of Continental Airlines, is noted for saying "you can make a pizza so cheap nobody will eat it..." which is exactly how I feel about iTunes.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #78,453 of 152,711
How so? Apple Music is not overpriced compared to other streaming services.
iTunes is overpriced...
As always, the devil is in the details.

@macdonjh said iTunes, the free media manager, is overpriced.

He wasn't referring to the music streaming service which is Apple Music.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #78,454 of 152,711
hey just wondering if anyone's using the Schiit Fulla 4 with the included 1/8 to 1/4 jack adapter? I'm trying to use my HD 560s with a 3.5 mm short cable plugged into the adapter into the Fulla. But I get audio cut out any gentle touch to the cable, or rotation of the jack or adatper. I do not have this audio cut out issue if I use the HD 560s included long 1/4 jack however.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #78,456 of 152,711
I used JRiver Media Center for several years and enjoyed it. I auditioned Audirvana and Roon as a JRiver replacement before settling on Roon and haven't looked back. As @Ableza stated, the cost for me is moot because it does exactly what I want it to do. I ponied up for a lifetime license so the cost/year issue gets better the longer I use it.

There'e at least one area where PC>Mac and that is the availability of options for media players. I haven't had a PC for years but I've seen nothing but positive feedback on Foobar and several of the options mentioned in the last day or two. Media Monkey has always looked like an appealing product but there's not a native Mac version.

iTunes many faults is what sent me looking for alternatives. Gordon Bethune, former CEO of Continental Airlines, is noted for saying "you can make a pizza so cheap nobody will eat it..." which is exactly how I feel about iTunes.

As I said the last time this was the "hot topic" (so non BBQ, Whiskey, or Cats) most people will agree that Roon is good and integrates well with some streaming services but....

Monthly/Yearly cost now + monthly cost of the streaming services that work with Roon is a lot of money for us regular folk.

For me, I'll still kicking tires on something that will make Spotify (when lossless) or Amazon Lossless (hoping for a Prime Day discount) sound good on my older systems.

So far I have looked at:
  1. Bluesound Node
  2. Raspberry Pi4 into one of my extra Modi's (2 uber or 3 non-unison) via coax, optical or USB
  3. Andover Songbird
  4. ????????

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #78,457 of 152,711
Looking back at his post, I think he meant to say Roon, not iTunes.
I read it to mean even though it’s (iTunes) free, it’s still overpriced :)

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #78,459 of 152,711
As I said the last time this was the "hot topic" (so non BBQ, Whiskey, or Cats) most people will agree that Roon is good and integrates well with some streaming services but....

Monthly/Yearly cost now + monthly cost of the streaming services that work with Roon is a lot of money for us regular folk.

For me, I'll still kicking tires on something that will make Spotify (when lossless) or Amazon Lossless (hoping for a Prime Day discount) sound good on my older systems.

So far I have looked at:
  1. Bluesound Node
  2. Raspberry Pi4 into one of my extra Modi's (2 uber or 3 non-unison) via coax, optical or USB
  3. Andover Songbird
  4. ????????

Roon is a premium service and is priced accordingly. Meaning it's comparatively expensive. There are excellent free/low-cost alternatives that have been mentioned recently.

I don't have any experience with the Raspberry Pi or Andover products so I can't comment.

I own two Bluesound Node 2i units and I really enjoy them. For me, the features that matter are Roon Ready and Spotify Connect, both of which work perfectly.

I don't use Amazon but this article https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/update-amazon-music-hd-is-still-lossy-r961/ suggests that the Node 2i plays very nicely with Amazon's streaming service.

Quoting the article :
"Good news for Bluesound! The Bluesound Node 2i successfully streamed lossless audio from Amazon Music HD from 16 bit / 44.1 kHz up through 24 bit / 192 kHz. Amazon's own apps are unable to do what the Bluesound ecosystem can do with respect to playing the highest quality lossless audio. "

I suspect that Spotify's upcoming lossless tier will also work seamlessly with the Node 2i.
I read it to mean even though it’s (iTunes) free, it’s still overpriced :)
That's exactly how I read it.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #78,461 of 152,711
How so? Apple Music is not overpriced compared to other streaming services.
As others have noted, I was referring to iTunes, not Apple Music. My experience with iTunes makes me not want to pay even $0 to use it. @cakewalk101, @Roy G. Biv : exactly.

@rkw: I don't have any experience with Roon. I didn't like the price when you could get a lifetime license, and I don't like the subscription model now. That has nothing to do with the quality of the software; as I said, I wouldn't know. What I do know is I wouldn't take advantage of many of the capabilities Roon offers, so I am not willing to pay the premium price. I don't use much of what JRiver offers, either, but what I do use works well so I'm happy to update once in a while.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #78,462 of 152,711
Does JRiver do UPnP? Also will it stream Qobuz?
From the JRiver wiki pages (available here: www.jriver.com):

WDM Driver​

[Note: Recent releases of Windows 10 have made this more difficult. Please see the Problems section at the bottom of this topic.]
JRiver Media Center version 20 for Windows introduced a WDM Driver (a virtual audio driver), which can be used to re-route all windows sound through Media Center. This allows full use of Media Center's DSP stack for web content, and allows better integration with external audio sources, like streaming video services or video games. The driver is currently only available on Windows.

NOTE: JRiver Media Center is now up to v27, v28 is rolling out. The WDM driver may be available for Mac and Linux now, and may be better than is was during v20.

Anyway, keep looking and choose what you think is the best media program for you to use.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #78,463 of 152,711
I have a question regarding balanced headphones. I have HE4XX (?) headphones and am wondering can those be made "balanced" by replacing the stock cable with one of those balanced ones? I ask because of the Schiit Modius and Magnius that I am saving up (again!) for myself. If regular cabled phones cannot be "upgraded" into balanced then I would need to buy headphones already balanced.

I know...Stupid question but I thought I should ask any way. Thank you.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #78,465 of 152,711
Yep. I have a set as well. I don't currently have a balanced cable for them but I have a Hart Audio cable for the 4XX with XLR adapter on my "to buy later" list.
Thank you! Now there is a genuine reason (beyond my ego!) to acquire a balanced DAC/AMP set up from Schiit. I can upgrade and use at least one pair of 'phones in balanced mode and be able to determine if my pauper's ears can tell a difference. If not, then I will just have to be satisfied with looking cool with that set up! Shallow? Yeah...But at least I am honest with my self about it, LOL!

Of course if I can honestly tell a good difference this will only lead to a greater addiction to headphone stuff....Balanced headphone stuff. :beerchug:

Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back