Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #78,466 of 152,776
I have a question regarding balanced headphones. I have HE4XX (?) headphones and am wondering can those be made "balanced" by replacing the stock cable with one of those balanced ones? I ask because of the Schiit Modius and Magnius that I am saving up (again!) for myself. If regular cabled phones cannot be "upgraded" into balanced then I would need to buy headphones already balanced.

I know...Stupid question but I thought I should ask any way. Thank you.

for most headphones that have separate detachable connectors for each earcup, a balanced cable can be made (or purchased pre-assembled), terminating at the amplifier end in either: dual 3-pin XLRs, a single 4-pin XLR (like on Magnius / Jotunheim 2 / MJ2), or a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector. IMO many headphone aftermarket cables are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

@OldRoadToad Given that you like the sound of your (single-ended) all-tube Valhalla 2, another option to consider: instead of spending $50-$100 for a HE-4XX balanced cable, get either an Asgard 3 ($199) or Jotunheim 2 ($399) amplifier to use with the existing Single Ended HE-4XX (1/4" TRS connector) cable instead. Both of these are more likely to impart a warmer more tube-like sound than the Magnius, and by changing the gain settings via a front panel switch, there are some variations possible in the voicing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #78,467 of 152,776
Modius/Magnius is a good start into balanced land (at least for non-portable use cases).

Also, not to sound too fanboy-ish but with Hart Audio cables you only need to buy one headphone cable (the Hifiman dual 3.5 mm cable on your case) and use their adapters for connecting to 1/4", 4 pin XLR, Pentaconn, etc. You only buy the adapters you need once to use with any of their headphone cables. I like their system.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #78,468 of 152,776
Listen to as much live music as you can, avoiding rock concert PA systems.

Then listen to electronics reproducing the same music which the objectivists tell us has 0.00000001% distortion.

Then tell me which side of the fence you're on.
The only issue with that recommendation, which I agree with, is that it can quickly get very expensive. Listening to Rhiannon Giddens and Francesco Turrisi on their latest album. They were one of the last acts I heard at SFJAZZ before the pandemic. I know what they sound like. This speaker system does them as much justice as I've experienced outside the actual venue. To achieve it in this quirky modern architecture living room, without driving the household crazy with room treatments and awkward speaker placement, required all the magic of Linn's top-end speaker and room-specific DSP. Without it, the room's reverb -- concrete, steel, glass, hardwood -- would destroy the experience -- I heard what it sounded like before room correction. It's uncanny: if I clap hands in the middle of the room, big reverb; if I listen to the Linn system, just the depth we expect. Those Scots and their top dealers know their stuff, for sure, but it comes at a stiff price.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #78,469 of 152,776
I used JRiver Media Center for several years and enjoyed it. I auditioned Audirvana and Roon as a JRiver replacement before settling on Roon and haven't looked back. As @Ableza stated, the cost for me is moot because it does exactly what I want it to do. I ponied up for a lifetime license so the cost/year issue gets better the longer I use it.

There'e at least one area where PC>Mac and that is the availability of options for media players. I haven't had a PC for years but I've seen nothing but positive feedback on Foobar and several of the options mentioned in the last day or two. Media Monkey has always looked like an appealing product but there's not a native Mac version.

iTunes many faults is what sent me looking for alternatives. Gordon Bethune, former CEO of Continental Airlines, is noted for saying "you can make a pizza so cheap nobody will eat it..." which is exactly how I feel about iTunes.
I would never use iTunes for downloading music as I simply don't trust the company!
However, I have used it for ripping all my CDs ( only about 1,200) using their lossless ALAC format and in conjunction with Logitech Media Server ( LMS) this digital library system works fine for me.

It is far less sophisticated than Roon, but along with Qobuz and iPeng, it does all that I need.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #78,470 of 152,776
for most headphones that have separate detachable connectors for each earcup, a balanced cable can be made (or purchased pre-assembled), terminating at the amplifier end in either: dual 3-pin XLRs, a single 4-pin XLR (like on Magnius / Jotunheim 2 / MJ2), or a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector. IMO many headphone aftermarket cables are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

@OldRoadToad Given that you like the sound of your (single-ended) all-tube Valhalla 2, another option to consider: instead of spending $50-$100 for a HE-4XX balanced cable, get either an Asgard 3 ($199) or Jotunheim 2 ($399) amplifier to use with the existing Single Ended HE-4XX (1/4" TRS connector) cable instead. Both of these are more likely to impart a warmer more tube-like sound than the Magnius, and by changing the gain settings via a front panel switch, there are some variations possible in the voicing.
I have modified single cable headphones so they accept dual entry so that can even be done if need be otherwise they use the same ground of course. I agree about aftermarket headphone cables being pricey so I generally build my own, it took a little while to learn various four and eight wire braids but it can be done. Often for my own use I make cables with pigtails so I can change out 3.5 mm, 1/4 inch, and 4 pin xlr without removing the main cable from the headphones each time. This was previously mentioned but it is something I have done for years. I would rather the wear point be on a mini or standard size xlr rather than the female jacks on headphone cups :ksc75smile: but this is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #78,472 of 152,776
FAA2B0BF-6C12-417B-BDB3-11C490DFB032.jpeg
I have a question regarding balanced headphones. I have HE4XX (?) headphones and am wondering can those be made "balanced" by replacing the stock cable with one of those balanced ones? I ask because of the Schiit Modius and Magnius that I am saving up (again!) for myself. If regular cabled phones cannot be "upgraded" into balanced then I would need to buy headphones already balanced.

I know...Stupid question but I thought I should ask any way. Thank you.

@OldRoadToad as I recall in the past you have helped other folks with audio gear, PM me your address and I will gift you a balanced cable. I have some HE4xx's laying around I forgot I owned so it is easy enough for me to get the pin out on such a cable. They use standard 3.5mm TRS connectors on the headphone cups and can build this from things I have laying around my home shop. Quality sample wire is often given to me and I am sure I have enough to do an eight wire braid such as this one I did for a friends ZMF Verites.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #78,473 of 152,776
I would never use iTunes for downloading music as I simply don't trust the company!
However, I have used it for ripping all my CDs ( only about 1,200) using their lossless ALAC format and in conjunction with Logitech Media Server ( LMS) this digital library system works fine for me.

It is far less sophisticated than Roon, but along with Qobuz and iPeng, it does all that I need.
The ripping software that comes bundled with iTunes is excellent, on that we agree. I've heard good things about LMS but I haven't used it.
As for not trusting Apple, I'm reminded that prior to 2009 all music downloads from them were copy protected by DRM. The intent was to prohibit file sharing, which I'm ok with, but also to prevent the downloads from playing on non-Apple devices.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #78,474 of 152,776
I have a box of nice 6SN7, even premium Brimar CV1988, but I've had a tall Philco 7N7 in my Lyr3 since I found it, and since acquired backups, both Philco and Sylvania JAN, all tall, square shouldered Frankensteins. Special.
I've come across similar opinions in my research. It's nice to know there are still some nice tubes out there that don't cost a fortune. I may give it a try sooner than later.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #78,475 of 152,776
Yep. I have a set as well. I don't currently have a balanced cable for them but I have a Hart Audio cable for the 4XX with XLR adapter on my "to buy later" list.
Hopefully that cable will not cost more than the headphones themselves lol. They were what $160 or so on Drop?

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #78,476 of 152,776
Been making my own cables since the beginning of time! LOL!
Canare L46ES, connectors from several vendors.

I am one of those old farts that is not into spending mega-bucks on cables and "stuff".
Rather put funds into headphones and amps!

Been there with the "straining" for hours trying to discern differences in A $300 cable and a $2000 cable...your beer gets
warm and the enjoyment for me of just listening to the music is often lost.

That said, if you like fancy connectors and colors of paracord....knock yourself out!!

:>)
Alex
a8d956bb75f7b8a3c06c437382eac0e0a4dd4e55.jpeg

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #78,477 of 152,776
I've come across similar opinions in my research. It's nice to know there are still some nice tubes out there that don't cost a fortune. I may give it a try sooner than later.
You should look into 6C8G and 6F8G as well, there are still plenty out there for reasonable prices. Like 7N7's adapters are required but those are readily available. As far as direct subs, 50's Fotons can still be had at low prices if you watch for them.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #78,478 of 152,776
The ripping software that comes bundled with iTunes is excellent, on that we agree. I've heard good things about LMS but I haven't used it.
As for not trusting Apple, I'm reminded that prior to 2009 all music downloads from them were copy protected by DRM. The intent was to prohibit file sharing, which I'm ok with, but also to prevent the downloads from playing on non-Apple devices.
In my experience, the iTunes ripping software works really well. There are some who would argue that more sophisticated and 'accurate' ripping software should be used, such as dBpoweramp or Exact Audio Copy, but I have not been convinced that they are necessary, especially if CDs are in good condition. To my ears, my ripped CDs sound as good as the originals and in some cases, better than the same files streamed from Qobuz so believe they are bit perfect copies.

LMS is probably very primitive compared with Roon, but it's simple, free, and does all I need..... for now.:beyersmile: One day, I'll probably succumb to temptation.

My brother downloaded, and paid for, a lot of music from iTunes and would never touch the company again, as DRM stopped him playing these files on non-Apple devices.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #78,479 of 152,776
Been making my own cables since the beginning of time! LOL!
Canare L46ES, connectors from several vendors.

I am one of those old farts that is not into spending mega-bucks on cables and "stuff".
Rather put funds into headphones and amps!

Been there with the "straining" for hours trying to discern differences in A $300 cable and a $2000 cable...your beer gets
warm and the enjoyment for me of just listening to the music is often lost.

That said, if you like fancy connectors and colors of paracord....knock yourself out!!

:>)
Alex
Nicely done, now if you ever want to try cotton based mesh instead of nylon, PM me and I will send you a link. :ksc75smile: Often on those cables I heat shrink the twisted pair wires under the mesh to maintain equal twists, some manufacturers do that with bonded twisted pair. You are using some quality connectors that will hold up well, you obviously know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #78,480 of 152,776
Nicely done, now if you ever want to try cotton based mesh instead of nylon, PM me and I will send you a link. :ksc75smile: Often on those cables I heat shrink the twisted pair wires under the mesh to maintain equal twists, some manufacturers do that with bonded twisted pair. You are using some quality connectors that will hold up well, you obviously know what you are doing.
Thanks.

The only thing to be aware of is some headphones reverse the +- from the "standard" wiring convention we all use.
PM Sent.

Alex

1624022303338.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back