Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #76,516 of 150,820
Quick question. Is it normal to get hum/distortion in the right channel when selecting medium or high gain with a low impedance (32 ohm) headphone? This happened with my Grados and NightHawks on my Ragnorak 2 and previously on my Lyr 3 and Jotunheim. Low gain has zero distortion. All 3 modes have zero distortion through my Martin Logans. Just curious. Thanks.

May 12, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #76,518 of 150,820
unless there will shortly be no Gungnir either...
Predicting Gungnir will be the next to bite the dust after Mjolnir...

I think both products were priced close enough to Ragnarok/Yggy that most buyers probably passed on Mjolnir/Gungnir and bought the top of the line products instead.

Expect to see a replacement amp/dac combo, using something close to the Valhalla desktop form factor, but priced similarly to Mjolnir/Gungnir. Also would bet the amp will have some flavor of tube topology (probably not OTL though). I'd love to see a SET tube amp from Schiit that dumps the "box with tubes sticking out" design and looks like something more traditional ala Woo/Feliks (thin chassis with tubes sticking out in front, exposed transformer in the back, but without all the jewelry.

Funny, was very close to pulling the trigger on a Mjolnir/Gungnir before I switched gears...

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #76,519 of 150,820
"Some headphones are very sensitive"
*my Andromedas hissing from their box in the other room*
hissing-garter-snake-gwyneth-cheeseman.jpg

May 12, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #76,520 of 150,820
Nah, it would be "Tan-screwing-Taffel." Easy to say. :)
TANFTAFL: you need some kind of accent mark or something over that first F so those of us not fluent in Armed Forces know to put the stress there when pronouncing...

May 12, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #76,521 of 150,820
20210512_182933.jpg

Latest incarnation of my modest Schiit stack. Gungnir DS arrived this afternoon and is now warming up. A bit of planar fun on tap for later this evening.

May 12, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #76,523 of 150,820
May 12, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #76,524 of 150,820
Voldemort is back again!

I knew nothing good could come out of this cryo thing
I thought he was from the Fox show Fringe filmed here in Vancouver back in the day...

May 12, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #76,526 of 150,820
20210512_182933.jpg

Latest incarnation of my modest Schiit stack. Gungnir DS arrived this afternoon and is now warming up. A bit of planar fun on tap for later this evening.

Well, I got scared, and I'm now in a 72 of 72 queue, for my Gungnir MB upgrade. That, and a pair of Martin Logan EM-ESL's, which are on the way to me, will hopefully make for a nice system upgrade. :money_mouth:

May 12, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #76,527 of 150,820
gas-tight refers to the metal-to-metal interface between the crimped items. heat-shrink over the whole thing helps provide a strain relief which is definitely needed with the larger gauge / heavier speaker wires. some believe soldering after the crimp thermally stresses the crimp interface, so why not just solder in the first place (or make a proper crimp, which often means different crimp dies for each lug & wire gauge combination, lug material and thickness changes the overall height of a crimp)
Okay - wanted to check, although this thread sticks to some form of English for general conversation not everyone uses the same definition - gas-tight to me is literal, no gas can travel from one side to the other due to a good seal. And I have had all sorts of fun changing crimp dies for making hoses so I understand and agree based on the combination used is how it should be crimped, and if you use a fancy machine you even have to set the crimp pressure to avoid damage.

Swinging wildly around to audio, any recommendations out there to dip my parent's back into vinyl (or cassettes, they have stacks of both but no player). Just got asked to set them up with a turntable plus phono (guessing separates is easier to meet the requirements) to feed either analog into the AVR RCA jacks, AND (switching cables is okay) into a ADC plus some form of Windoze compatible software to rip said vinyl to digital (and if this is easier for a cassette setup, have the same issue for the next gifting season). Not sure on price range, the bigger issue is they are not the most tech savy in this and any tech support I need to provide is 2 time zones away.

May 12, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #76,528 of 150,820
CC3B7606-88E9-413F-8AEF-F5ED58977377.jpeg
cool, especially how "Anniversary Edition" is spelled out on the top cover in "machine gun" font. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Having tried this actual machine, and trust me I was extremely skeptical, I believed I could hear a slight difference in headphone cables after cooking them. Now talk of amazing differences in power cables is wishful thinking to me. :L3000: If anyone had owned this machine other than Mr. Cowen, I doubt I would have taken the time, but this is a man who did quite well in a blind 6sn7 tube challenge so I assign some trust to portions of his ramblings. He is one of those rare people who put their money where their mouth is, and I respect that.

I am going through some Cowenesque extremes in checking this amp and related tubes before it goes on to @AudioGal but it will be shipped soon.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #76,529 of 150,820
Sure. But then again, he always claims he has no money, so there's that. 😏

May 12, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #76,530 of 150,820
Quick question. Is it normal to get hum/distortion in the right channel when selecting medium or high gain with a low impedance (32 ohm) headphone? This happened with my Grados and NightHawks on my Ragnorak 2 and previously on my Lyr 3 and Jotunheim. Low gain has zero distortion. All 3 modes have zero distortion through my Martin Logans. Just curious. Thanks.
I've never gotten anything like that with my 35 ohm Hifiman Arya on either Lyr 3 or Ragnarok v1. (Can't speak for Ragnarok v2)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back