Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #76,486 of 148,534
Thanks.

That video blew my mind, because previously I had been of the opinion that a digital cable either works or it doesn't.
Weeelll, what he convinced me of was that separately recorded digital files will all be slightly different on the recorded versions (probably due to "fuzzy" error correction algorithms), even if the same cable is used.

He didn't really convince me that different usb cables are consistently different. I think the difference between various cables in this test *could* have all been due to fuzzy error correction. To be fair, the differences also *could* have been due to the cables themselves, but this test doesn't prove that hypothesis.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #76,489 of 148,534
Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #76,490 of 148,534
Weeelll, what he convinced me of was that separately recorded digital files will all be slightly different on the recorded versions (probably due to "fuzzy" error correction algorithms), even if the same cable is used.

He didn't really convince me that different usb cables are consistently different. I think the difference between various cables in this test *could* have all been due to fuzzy error correction. To be fair, the differences also *could* have been due to the cables themselves, but this test doesn't prove that hypothesis.
Very true, and he was leaning toward saying one did sound better than another because of personal experience. IMHO I admire his effort regardless. :ksc75smile: Do a blind study with the four cables and ten people and I bet you would get all kinds of answers.

May 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #76,494 of 148,534
You can make oxygen free cables at home easily. Put the cables into a RubberMaid container. Put a hamster into the container. Put the lid on the container and seal it with duct tape. In a few days the hamster will have consumed all of the oxygen.
Can I use a bigger container, and @Ripper2860 instead of the poor hamster? :smirk:

May 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #76,496 of 148,534
So... is Mjolnir dead?
Yes, unless we convince Jason to build a Mjolnir 3 with remote volume control, Nexus, full continuity (internal heatsinks OK) output stage. Freya S with headphone output and one internal large module slot (for next gen multibit or schiit's experimental hybrid (noise shaping) DAC approach)

May 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #76,497 of 148,534
Can I use a bigger container, and @Ripper2860 instead of the poor hamster? :smirk:
LOL! Even though it would be oxygen free more quickly, the other noxious gases present would likely ruin any benefit from the process. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 12, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #76,499 of 148,534
May 12, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #76,500 of 148,534
And half of those posts are about NC vs TX bbq.....

Now don't be all put-out because ND ain't got a dog in the hunt. :D **

** Plus you are exaggerating by orders of magnitude.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back