Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #76,503 of 148,451
May 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #76,504 of 148,451
Thank you to @ImagesbyMurray and @golfbravobravo who have been helping me with some tech support. Good folks here, but of course that's preaching to the choir so I'll stop before I make my own head get big.

May 12, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #76,505 of 148,451
Prototype Status

SN10

SN11. This is some neat binaural audio (listened w/Lyr) This one landed, EVERYWHERE!

RUD investigation status, the pre-burner is visibly melting.

Earlier Raptors, sea-level and vacuum versions.

SN15+ Raptors have a tighter looking design, and they're green!
[/spoler]

Tesla motors direct drive the 4 free fall translation wings. Needs serious torque.

Tesla battery pack

SN15 This one may re-fly, great audio.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #76,506 of 148,451
How do you cook a cable without melting the plastic insulation?
With a Cable Cooker, of course. The right tool for the right job. But then I've told my teenage son at least a dozen times that a screwdriver is *not* a chisel, crowbar, or paint can opener and that hasn't sunk in either.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cooker1.JPG

May 12, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #76,509 of 148,451
With a Cable Cooker, of course. The right tool for the right job. But then I've told my teenage son at least a dozen times that a screwdriver is *not* a chisel, crowbar, or paint can opener and that hasn't sunk in either.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cooker1.JPG

cool, especially how "Anniversary Edition" is spelled out on the top cover in "machine gun" font. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 12, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #76,510 of 148,451
It's the same as the one in Lyr, just re-tuned.

With respect to protection, this is a good example of TANSTAFL.

DC protect too sensitive? It'll trigger on some EDM (or other music with a lot of second harmonic distortion baked in). But it does save you from cooking sensitive drivers.

Current protect too sensitive (only on Jot R and speaker amps)? It'll trigger just when you're demoing those digital cannon (or that new EDM) for your friends. But without it, high power amps can have a very bad day.

Thermal protect too sensitive? Might get shut down just as you're getting into it. But without it, you're definitely looking at ugly, catastrophic failure.

Current limiting (baked into output topology, we don't use this): tends to sound like ass, in Mike's terms.

Bottom line, we use what's appropriate and tune for least intrusiveness, given the capabilities of the amplifier. The microprocessor-controlled stuff has more advanced protection (Ragnarok 2, Vidar, Aegir). Everything else is analog-computer style, which means you're balancing levels and time constants. We have specific tracks we use to test the analog computer style stuff, tracks full of pre-distorted bass at unrealistic levels.

@Baldr so where's the third Modi version? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back