Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #75,661 of 150,704
Why? Your current gear (from your signature) is plenty good.

For my secondary setup when I'm not using speakers, I'm relying on a headphone output of an old Technics integrated amplifier. The integrated amp provides enough power for my speakers since I don't listen very loudly anyway but it would be nice to supplement that system with a headphone amp with more oomph if I'm using something that needs more juice like if I start getting into magnetic planar. Since this is just a secondary setup it's not ultra important right now as my HD800S and Mjolnir 2 work just fine in my primary rig. I just started thinking down the road "what happens if I want to buy a Jot 2 6 months down the road and I can't get one?" I realize it's first world problems but always looking for an angle to give Schiit more money. LOL.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #75,662 of 150,704
Yeah, try purchasing a current gen GPU or AMD CPU (12 or 16 core especially) and you can look at paying at least a 50% premium on the CPU's and well over 100% for the GPU's. I've sold some older well used GPU's for double what they retailed for in this market...

Yeah, it's crazy. I recently managed to snag a 6800 XT for 1100€, which is significantly overpriced compared to launch prices, but I think it's not going to get any better at least for a year or so. My 3700X should be good for a couple of years still, so no need to upgrade CPU yet.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #75,663 of 150,704
Like:
* LED mitigation kits
* baseball caps with brims pointed backwards, for those who like that choice
* Schiit racks to help us keep our little Schiits all neatly stacked.
* Schiit-branded BBQ sauces, implements, & aprons.
* limited edition gourmet color cases.
Schiit Brew Craft Beer

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #75,667 of 150,704
Eh, Folkvangr sounds waaaay out of my league. And too many tubes for a tube newbie like me. I mean I had the original Vali and Lyr, but I'm not about to get anything with more than say.... Two tubes.

I thought the same thing myself at first, but after Jason’s “Folkvangst”-relief post with the tube types and info that is screened on the tube tray I’m quite interested in getting one!

There are a few reasons for this:
  1. Both 6N6P (like in Valhalla) and 6N1P (like in Valhalla and Vali2) tubes are still readily available, and
  2. Although Folkvangr requires no less than 8 (eight!) 6N6P’s (and 6N6P only) they do not need to be matched,
  3. The 6N1P’s do need to be matched, but it only requires two of them, and
  4. Unlike the 6N6P’s the 6N1P’s can be rolled to a lot of different compatible types, and even more with adapters (possibly also our old pal 6SN7 like in Lyr3 as Vali2 can handle them nicely with a riser/socket saver and an adapter)
  5. Further, looking at eBay, both 6N6P and 6N1P tubes can be had for about $25-$30 for a lot of ten (!),
  6. Which means you possibly have a complete tube replacement set with spares for $50 or so (NOS) :smiley: At least unless some of the more notorious tube hoa.. I mean collectors grab them all now that the word is out :unamused:
All in all, sounds like a great amp, without any reason or need for tube-angst!

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #75,668 of 150,704
My Vali 2+ The hard part is leaving California:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-24 075154.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-24 075154.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #75,669 of 150,704
My Vali 2+ The hard part is leaving California:
Worth the wait. Even using it as a tube buffer for the Jotunheim 2 has been blissful. I love the Vali 2+, SO MUCH and I'm on stock tubes atm. I'll swap to EH gold 6922 for an even softer sound later.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #75,671 of 150,704
I thought the same thing myself at first, but after Jason’s “Folkvangst”-relief post with the tube types and info that is screened on the tube tray I’m quite interested in getting one!

There are a few reasons for this:
  1. Both 6N6P (like in Valhalla) and 6N1P (like in Valhalla and Vali2) tubes are still readily available, and
  2. Although Folkvangr requires no less than 8 (eight!) 6N6P’s (and 6N6P only) they do not need to be matched,
  3. The 6N1P’s do need to be matched, but it only requires two of them, and
  4. Unlike the 6N6P’s the 6N1P’s can be rolled to a lot of different compatible types, and even more with adapters (possibly also our old pal 6SN7 like in Lyr3 as Vali2 can handle them nicely with a riser/socket saver and an adapter)
  5. Further, looking at eBay, both 6N6P and 6N1P tubes can be had for about $25-$30 for a lot of ten (!),
  6. Which means you possibly have a complete tube replacement set with spares for $50 or so (NOS) :smiley: At least unless some of the more notorious tube hoa.. I mean collectors grab them all now that the word is out :unamused:
All in all, sounds like a great amp, without any reason or need for tube-angst!
Great, now I am convinced to get this instead of a Mjolnir 2 as my endgame tube amp too

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #75,673 of 150,704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back