Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #75,631 of 151,597
Computer science student's M1 [Mac] rig is a pile of Schiit.

https://www.cultofmac.com/739946/computer-science-students-m1-rig-is-a-pile-of-schiit-setups/

Hmm, an Apple site becoming aware of Schiit...
Clean looking.
Needs speaker stands.

1619215460909.png

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #75,633 of 151,597
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #75,635 of 151,597
I think I have a problem.

20210423_180634.jpg

How much Schiit does one need?

After receiving the Vali 2+, I'm convinced that I no longer want anything but things with tubes.

Hoping and praying for a Valius or Tubenheim. 😬 Yes, I know Lyr 3, but I want the balanced... and around the price point and form factor.

XL Mousepad is currently in the wash.

Behind the curtain THERE BE WIRE MONSTERS, don't let the image fool you.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #75,636 of 151,597
For my money, the more transparent you are about the exact status of back ordered and “in production” items, the better it is. I know it probably means dedicating additional resources to work on this but it is worth it to ensure that there is no long-lasting negative effect on the brand.
100% agree with you on that. I'm currently up in the air about what to do for a DAC because when I ordered my Bifrost a week ago it said 7-10 days "in stock" and it has since changed to "In production 2-4 weeks" ... Quite the gut punch. So am I to expect 2-4 weeks from now? Or 2-4 weeks from when I ordered? Just no clarification.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #75,638 of 151,597

After receiving the Vali 2+, I'm convinced that I no longer want anything but things with tubes.

Hoping and praying for a Valius or Tubenheim. 😬 Yes, I know Lyr 3, but I want the balanced... and around the price point.

Folkvangr 10 tube headphone amp

2021 Apr 17 - Jason Stoddard

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5018#post-16302515

To help clear up some Folkvangst, here's what's screened on the tube tray:

1619216197158.png

No need for output matching--there's individual servo control of each output tube.

Also, there are no real alternatives to 6N6P--the JJ ECC99 is a different pinout. You need tube adapters to make those work correctly.

6CG7 will work without adapters, but will also run about 1/4 the output current of the 6N6P, so it'll be a wayyyyyy weaker amp.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #75,639 of 151,597
Eh, Folkvangr sounds waaaay out of my league. And too many tubes for a tube newbie like me. I mean I had the original Vali and Lyr, but I'm not about to get anything with more than say.... Two tubes.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #75,640 of 151,597
Took you long enough to finally get to this (right) conclusion! :wink:

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #75,641 of 151,597

20210423_180634.jpg

Hoping and praying for a Valius or Tubenheim. 😬 Yes, I know Lyr 3, but I want the balanced... and around the price point and form factor.

Behind the curtain THERE BE WIRE MONSTERS, don't let the image fool you.
Only one pair of speakers and one pair of head phones? That is NOT a problem.

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #75,642 of 151,597
Only one pair of speakers and one pair of head phones? That is NOT a problem.
Eh, that was just what I was using for the day.

I have... at least 5 headphones in the room, with another like...6-7 outside the room. :eyes:

The speakers are actually the newest addition here. I'm definitely not a speaker person, and went for something not too expensive, not too large. The Presonus Eris E3.5.

Just something to use when I don't feel like wearing headphones.

FB_IMG_1619220841840.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #75,643 of 151,597
We changed all of our backordered products yesterday to more accurately reflect current conditions and uncertainties.

Previously we provided a ship date, like "Backordered, ships May 5," which caused many people to camp out and wait until, like, May 4, then place an order and expect it to ship on May 5. The problem is, even if that date held, we'd be clearing deep backorders and unable to ship their order. So they'd be irritated, having expected their order to ship almost immediately.

So, now we have changed a delay range, like, "Rolling backorder, ships in est. 4-6 weeks." This more accurately reflects the wait for a product to ship when you order that day. It doesn't set expectations for a single magical date. It allows for surprises in the extremely difficult environment we're operating in--seriously, one part out of hundreds can hold up a product indefinitely. Analog Devices DACs are now 26-45 week lead times. Many tiny, seemingly insignificant parts, like capacitors, are out of stock or delayed (or different, and have to be requalified. The lead time for steel and aluminum has drawn out--hell, the cost of sheet steel is up 2X from November and 4X from a couple of years ago (!)

Bottom line, the pedal is on the floor. Everyone at Schiit knows they are empowered to expand, hire, accelerate, but we can only produce so many products of high quality and reliability. We don't want these backorders. Nobody does. And we're working to fix them. I hope the "estimated X-Y weeks" on many products is a pessimistic estimate.

So: best to order and wait, if you really want something in backorder. Or move on. Our estimates are exactly that--estimates. As in, guesses. And to be clear, we don't charge your order until it ships.
Yep, steel is at record highs, and production is still down (and the winter weather socked the mills while you were getting stuck on the side of the road). Weekly production as of early April is ~1 766 000 tons down from 1 900 000 tons in March 7 2020, and had bottomed out below 1 200 000 tons in May 2020, so there is a bit of a backlog. When hot band is at 1300 per ton, cold rolled at 1500 up from ~475 hot band and ~650 cold roll in Q1/Q2 2020, it is crazy right now. And worse, this isn't including freight from the mill or processing and for hundreds of tons in a single order - so I am sure you are having steel heartburn.
I work in the semiconductor industry. 26-45 week lead times are currently common, and some are much longer. This is why all the major manufacturers have announced plans to build new fabs over the next few years - both because of the ever-onward press of new technology nodes plus just to keep up with demand. And now I am hearing about new and severe silicon shortages... hold on to your hat.
Yep, waiting for the Statcom vendor and all the VVVF/VFD/industrial drives people to start missing dates, that is going to be fun.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #75,644 of 151,597
Yep, steel is at record highs, and production is still down (and the winter weather socked the mills while you were getting stuck on the side of the road). Weekly production as of early April is ~1 766 000 tons down from 1 900 000 tons in March 7 2020, and had bottomed out below 1 200 000 tons in May 2020, so there is a bit of a backlog. When hot band is at 1300 per ton, cold rolled at 1500 up from ~475 hot band and ~650 cold roll in Q1/Q2 2020, it is crazy right now. And worse, this isn't including freight from the mill or processing and for hundreds of tons in a single order - so I am sure you are having steel heartburn.

Yep, waiting for the Statcom vendor and all the VVVF/VFD/industrial drives people to start missing dates, that is going to be fun.

wherr did you get this information? would be crucial for investors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back