Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #151,591 of 152,798
Um, if you are going Aries > Urd via USB, why not Urd > YGGY also via USB?
I assume that he's using USB OUT on Urd, but don't know. If so, all he needs to do is select USB IN on Yggy, and he'll get whatever Urd is doing. CD or USB 1 or 2...

But that route does sound really really good. I send from a Pi into Urd's USB

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #151,592 of 152,798
I've never had a linear arm. Had a good buddy with an Eminent Tech air bearing linear arm mounted on a Merrill 'table. Sounded great, but he was constantly fiddling with the arm, the pump, the tubing, valves, pressure, etc. Was never sure if it actually required that much fiddling or whether he was just more OCD than me. 🤣
Souther was simple, once you got the hang of it - expert friendly. No tweaking except to keep the quartz rods from getting fouled with dust/grease.

May 13, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #151,593 of 152,798
I've never had a linear arm. Had a good buddy with an Eminent Tech air bearing linear arm mounted on a Merrill 'table. Sounded great, but he was constantly fiddling with the arm, the pump, the tubing, valves, pressure, etc. Was never sure if it actually required that much fiddling or whether he was just more OCD than me. 🤣
Yeah in my experience back then, all the air bearing arms were immensely fiddly; heck the setup balance of *everything* had to be, and remain, “just so”… the Souther fixed the issues, from what we could tell. I had just gotten my SME309 at a great new price by grey-marketing it myself on a business trip to London in 1990. My friend had been trying air bearing arms, and just gotten the TriQuartz. Since I already had the SOTA, the SME made more sense for me (SOTA/SME synergy is legendary, just like Classe’/Apogee), but, had I a VPI…

May 13, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #151,594 of 152,798
Yeah, that's the next experiment. First, I wanted to see if the Aries sounded better simply passing through Urd as DDC.

Totally non-scientific, but it does IMHO. <g>
So what output are you using on Urd? And sorry if I missed that somewhere...

May 13, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #151,595 of 152,798
Yeah in my experience back then, all the air bearing arms were immensely fiddly; heck the setup balance of *everything* had to be, and remain, “just so”… the Souther fixed the issues, from what we could tell. I had just gotten my SME309 at a great new price by grey-marketing it myself on a business trip to London in 1990. My friend had been trying air bearing arms, and just gotten the TriQuartz. Since I already had the SOTA, the SME made more sense for me (SOTA/SME synergy is legendary, just like Classe’/Apogee), but, had I a VPI…
images.jpg

Not mine, but the same model. That friend of yours sounds like an "Audio Vision" customer.

May 13, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #151,596 of 152,798
My addition of a lazy Susan along with flight board on a table I built. Just toying with the idea right now. I love the use of contrasting woods. Not far away is my main audio system, so this works for me and late night listening.IMG_7913.jpeg

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #151,599 of 152,798
images.jpg

Not mine, but the same model. That friend of yours sounds like an "Audio Vision" customer.
He was actually the guy that introduce me to Mal and Steve at Audiovision. Got my Classe’ amp and pre, the Duettas, and the SOTA there, as well as the AQ7000.

Small world and good deduction…

May 13, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #151,600 of 152,798
He was actually the guy that introduce me to Mal and Steve at Audiovision. Got my Classe’ amp and pre, the Duettas, and the SOTA there, as well as the AQ7000.

Small world and good deduction…
37-42 years ago.... Remember it like yesterday, too bad I can't remember what I get up to get something 75% of the time these days...

One day soon I'm going to look at my rig, and say 'what's that?'

May 13, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #151,602 of 152,798
May 13, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #151,603 of 152,798
Not that I am going to build one but how big of a tube rack would you honestly need? Seriously quartered oak to match your desk would be pretty spiffy.
Well, since you're not going to build it, what would be perfect is some tube shelves to cover the wall behind the couch. What excellent diffraction for free! So as there's a 9' ceiling in that room, maybe make the height 8'9" to allow for carpet and such. Wall is 15' long, so 3 sections 5' wide each and 9" deep, and maybe 12 adjustable height shelves per section. 15' L x 8'9" H x 9" D in 3 sections. Easy peasy, right? That should probably hold all the novals and small octals, or at least be real close, I can figure out something different for the power pentodes and big triodes. 🤣 🤣

Audio Room 10.jpg

May 13, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #151,604 of 152,798
.... The BIG question: did the 'constant fiddling' occur while LPs were playing? 😮
No. But there was more than once where we didn't get 30 seconds into a song before he stopped it because something needed adjusted. 🤣

May 13, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #151,605 of 152,798
Well, since you're not going to build it, what would be perfect is some tube shelves to cover the wall behind the couch. What excellent diffraction for free! So as there's a 9' ceiling in that room, maybe make the height 8'9" to allow for carpet and such. Wall is 15' long, so 3 sections 5' wide each and 9" deep, and maybe 12 adjustable height shelves per section. 15' L x 8'9" H x 9" D in 3 sections. Easy peasy, right? That should probably hold all the novals and small octals, or at least be real close, I can figure out something different for the power pentodes and big triodes. 🤣 🤣

Got it, space for three 6sn7’s and a couple novals.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back