Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #75,676 of 150,587
I thought the same thing myself at first, but after Jason’s “Folkvangst”-relief post with the tube types and info that is screened on the tube tray I’m quite interested in getting one!

There are a few reasons for this:
  1. Both 6N6P (like in Valhalla) and 6N1P (like in Valhalla and Vali2) tubes are still readily available, and
  2. Although Folkvangr requires no less than 8 (eight!) 6N6P’s (and 6N6P only) they do not need to be matched,
  3. The 6N1P’s do need to be matched, but it only requires two of them, and
  4. Unlike the 6N6P’s the 6N1P’s can be rolled to a lot of different compatible types, and even more with adapters (possibly also our old pal 6SN7 like in Lyr3 as Vali2 can handle them nicely with a riser/socket saver and an adapter)
  5. Further, looking at eBay, both 6N6P and 6N1P tubes can be had for about $25-$30 for a lot of ten (!),
  6. Which means you possibly have a complete tube replacement set with spares for $50 or so (NOS) :smiley: At least unless some of the more notorious tube hoa.. I mean collectors grab them all now that the word is out :unamused:
All in all, sounds like a great amp, without any reason or need for tube-angst!
Great list! Only thing I'd add is:

7. There's no such thing as "too many tubes"​
8. If a question ever arises on tube quantity, refer to #7.​
:laughing: :laughing:

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #75,677 of 150,587
My Asgard 3 with a multibit DAC inside, my first high end audio purchase since the 1970s, not including my Sennheiser 660s bought a few weeks ago, it crossed the Atlantic today. Arrived at CDG airport this evening. I ordered it, and it shipped 2 hours later. I will probably have it in hand on Monday. Thanks !
Give it say 30 hours initial burn in, and you won't believe your ears.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #75,680 of 150,587
Not to second guess but why does the Jot2 with a 4490 ship in 1-3 days, but 'all else' (presumably including without a dac chip at all) ship in 4-6 weeks @Jason Stoddard ?
I don't know of course, but I suspect the stock of amp only / amp + phono / amp + MB DAC builds have run out, but amp + DS DAC build not.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #75,681 of 150,587
Yeah, it's crazy. I recently managed to snag a 6800 XT for 1100€, which is significantly overpriced compared to launch prices, but I think it's not going to get any better at least for a year or so. My 3700X should be good for a couple of years still, so no need to upgrade CPU yet.

Couldn't help but notice you have Bifrost 2 + Jot 2 and a pair of ZMF cans - how are you liking the combination? I have the Aeolus and I've been thinking about getting an end-game warm/punchy/thick amp+DAC combo or stack and the aforementioned pairing is on the top of my list currently.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #75,682 of 150,587
My optical table, flowbench, and office might look cluttered, but I will know immediately if someone has taken even a single balldriver from my area.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #75,685 of 150,587
Couldn't help but notice you have Bifrost 2 + Jot 2 and a pair of ZMF cans - how are you liking the combination? I have the Aeolus and I've been thinking about getting an end-game warm/punchy/thick amp+DAC combo or stack and the aforementioned pairing is on the top of my list currently.

I’ve only had the ZMFs for two days so I’m still getting to know them, but so far I really dig them out of B2/Jot2. Endgame worthy combination for sure!

Tube amps seem to be popular with ZMF headphones, so Lyr 3 or Valhalla 2 might be worth considering also.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #75,687 of 150,587
Here....found some for you. :smile: :smile:

1619272775572.png
I am seriously in the wrong business. That's so mindbendingly nuts I'm at a loss for words. Which is unusual for me.

My experience from the pro audio world (where I worked many moons ago) is that high quality properly engineered and assembled cables are inaudible. As they should be. And that if you start hearing differences between voodoo cables, you're hearing the interaction between marginal I/O on the audio gear and a cable that is behaving like a filter. I'm a big fan of Canare L-4E6S star quad cable, Canare RCA and Neutrik XLR connectors. Reasonably priced raw materials, assemble them competently and you're good to go.

But that's me.

I'll let other obsess over their double woven yak hair assembled by monks on a remote hilltop super special deluxe edition cables.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #75,688 of 150,587
The worst part of the MJ2 is getting the tubes out of the sockets😂. Otherwise it’s fantastic!
When the tubes are cool, take a couple strips of blue painters tape, slide down alongside the tube, press against to stick, and use the tape to help wiggle and remove the tube.

Highly recommended that you don't try this when the tubes are hot or you'll have a gooey, sticky mess to contend with.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #75,689 of 150,587
I am seriously in the wrong business. That's so mindbendingly nuts I'm at a loss for words. Which is unusual for me.

My experience from the pro audio world (where I worked many moons ago) is that high quality properly engineered and assembled cables are inaudible. As they should be. And that if you start hearing differences between voodoo cables, you're hearing the interaction between marginal I/O on the audio gear and a cable that is behaving like a filter. I'm a big fan of Canare L-4E6S star quad cable, Canare RCA and Neutrik XLR connectors. Reasonably priced raw materials, assemble them competently and you're good to go.

But that's me.

I'll let other obsess over their double woven yak hair assembled by monks on a remote hilltop super special deluxe edition cables.
The worst crazy high-harmonic-producing signal is the front end or back end of a square wave. "And square waves never occur in nature", I hear you saying. I submit that one of the closer approximations of a square wave is a lightning strike. Aircraft electronics are designed to survive lightning strikes. No voodoo cable designs there. Braided shields with good connections to ground. The aircraft designers do obsess - over the quality of the connectors. They test the connections for repeatable low resistance. But no strange conductor shapes or braided main conductors. Just good shielding with good paths to ground.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #75,690 of 150,587
LOL! If it helps any, that's not their most expensive model. :smile:

(and no, I don't own any....just to preempt the TX comments soon to follow :stuck_out_tongue:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back