Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #75,452 of 151,475
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #75,454 of 151,475
Odd. I would start out with the HP cable and see where you stand after that. Maybe double-check you interconnects between amp and DAC to make sure they are tight.
actually, I'm using some monoprice RCA cables which can be quite stiff. I noticed that the red cable on both ends is almost all the way out of the plug. I've ordered a pair from a different brand so will do some testing to see if that could be the issue. Thanks for the tip!

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #75,455 of 151,475
Hi everyone! First post over here.

Just got my Schiit stack - Magni Heresy + Modi 3 - yesterday and I was finally able to use my hifiman Sundaras. I absolutely LOVE the sound coming out. All good and dandy, when suddenly physics happened.

Has anyone experienced static build up in the body going through the headphones into an amp? The moment I sat on a big chair made of (I think) microfiber cloth I could hear a loud buzzing that didn't go away until I turned everything off, unplugged and re-plugged. I've been able to replicate the same issue by petting my cat and my wife was just listening to some music wearing the Sundaras while sitting on a pleather office type chair, she rubbed her pants lightly and also got the same buzzing sound.

Since I don't have any other headphones or amps I haven't been able to do more testing, but wondering if this could be considered "normal" or if it could either be an issue with one of the following:

- Sundara stock cables (I have another set of cables coming in this week to test)
- Sundara headphones (body is almost all-metal)
- Schiit Magni isolation internal issue or something?

Any help, tips or thoughts will be appreciated!
the guy with the dead iFi amps in the other forum found out, that the balanced cable he was using, an "official" one from Hifiman (though Hifiman doesn't have it listed on their page..), has a floating ground connection. He's currently trying to clearify all of this with his retailer and Hifiman. Are you able to check the ground connection on you stock cable and maybe even the amp? It's all just speculation, but the Hifimans metal casing might be a factor in this. And you should also be aware, that the problems you have encountered may lead to a broken amp, especially if you take the other guys findings into account!

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #75,456 of 151,475
the guy with the dead iFi amps in the other forum found out, that the balanced cable he was using, an "official" one from Hifiman (though Hifiman doesn't have it listed on their page..), has a floating ground connection. He's currently trying to clearify all of this with his retailer and Hifiman. Are you able to check the ground connection on you stock cable and maybe even the amp? It's all just speculation, but the Hifimans metal casing might be a factor in this. And you should also be aware, that the problems you have encountered may lead to a broken amp, especially if you take the other guys findings into account!

Modi 3 is Single-Ended TRS output only, so there would be a (common) ground return lead for both channels back to the amplifier. Depending on the digital source, there may or may not be a connection to earth ground (for a portable internally-powered DAP there wouldn't be, but for a desktop or tower PC powered by AC mains power line connection there would likely be a path to earth ground via the AC power grounding system).

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #75,457 of 151,475
Haha....
Close but no cigar.
Trust me.
There's no way to make pineapple (only) icecream without using chemical tricks that normal icecream doesn't.
Of course using flavour esters doesn't count either.
Since we're adding chemistry to the sine wave chart now, I thought maybe this could be useful. :smile:

1618956173247.png

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #75,458 of 151,475
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #75,462 of 151,475
I suspect the new Folkswagon (or whatever the 10-tube amp proposed product is called) will be the answer to "You want a better amp than Lyr that uses tubes?"
^This. In my experience, Lyr 3 is so good at what it does that real improvements on it are in a very different design and price range. Lyr 3 is a gateway drug to tubeland: I ended up escalating from Lyr 3 to Apex Peak (no longer made, also 6SN7-based hybrid) to Eddie Current Aficionado (no longer made, all tube, 396A > 2A3). Yes, the exotics go beyond Lyr 3, but the cost difference (even leaving aside getting fancy tubes for them) is greater than the quality gain. IOW, Lyr 3 is such a sweet spot that the only reason to go beyond is a no-holds-barred wish to fathom tubeland, with attending DAC and headphone upgrades, and disposable cash to match. Some of us prefer to spend on audio than on cars, I guess.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #75,463 of 151,475
With Mjolnir discontinued, this means there is no Schiit tube amp (Lyr, the most expensive Schiit tube amp can do only single ended) that can do balanced connections aside from Folkvangir

I am hoping for something smaller than Folkvangir sometime down the line

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #75,465 of 151,475
give me modi and magni in one tiney box.
want small all in one unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back