Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #75,406 of 151,790
I've never seen the innards of an Yggdrasil. Do the upgradable boards simply unplug and plug in? If that's the case, I don't mind opening the box to do something like that. Simple. Firmware upgrades are a different matter if it requires reflashing a chip, or removing an existing chip and installing another. Unless the chip in question is in a plug-in socket. That's no problem to me, either. I agree, though, the features listed recently for Autonomy are great.

I think the scalability of Yggdrasil is one reason Gungnir is having a hard time. If I decide to up my DAC game, I'll have a hard time deciding between Gungnir multi-bit and Yggdrasil GS. If Schiit continues to recycle A1 boards, keep the GS version available, it's hard to imaging Gungnir getting much development time. But that's me and I am smitten by the multi-bit sound I have in my Bifrost. The Gungnir delta-sigma is a fly in my reasoning ointment.

I too was hesitating over the decision between the Gumby and Yiggy GS as well; what decided me was the extra bit depth of the Yggy despite the analog 1 boards and usb gen 5. Not too worried about pulling my own upgrades - I've over the years discovered two basic, but unpublished laws of physics

1) Little teeny tiny chassis screws when dropped tend to bounce a RIDICULOUS distance away; they are obviously acquiring far more energy than just gravity
2) A slice of pizza, or open faced peanut butter and jelly sandwich ALWAYS falls face down - pretty sure there is a relationship with #1

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #75,407 of 151,790
And by the way I follow that thread but it's mostly burred in coffee and opera talk. :)
A regular poster to this thread commenting about another thread being buried in off-topic banter? Now that's saying something. I just wish I knew what...

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #75,408 of 151,790
A regular poster to this thread commenting about another thread being buried in off-topic banter? Now that's saying something. I just wish I knew what...
Surely, something about BBQ, booze, GE tubes, food...

...possibly, something Schiit-related every now and then :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #75,409 of 151,790
I'm glad someone got my humor... :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #75,410 of 151,790
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #75,411 of 151,790
I do not prefer pineapple on pizza but I will fight for your right to do it. The Italians invented pizza. I have seen them put arugula, salami, mortadella and clams in the shell on pizza. If the Italians can put that stuff on pizza we can certainly put pineapple on pizza! After I looked at my old picture (taken in Napoli), I realize there are also tiny octopi.
If you are ever in Frankfurt - get the Hawai Pizza from Foodrockers (I put ground beef, gorgonzola and extra mozzarella on it) everybody who tried it is ordering only that pizza from them now. I works for a simple reason - enzymes in the pineapple help disolve/digest proteins and fat in the cheese and meat, thats why the taste balances out so nicely.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #75,412 of 151,790
Modi MB got me hooked! I considered Gumby due to several positive reviews despite being a big jump in cost. But Yggy GS gets my foot in the door of Mike’s vision. And it’s not too big of a step over Gumby. (Anyone want to buy a tube amp?)

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #75,413 of 151,790
I've never seen the innards of an Yggdrasil. Do the upgradable boards simply unplug and plug in? If that's the case, I don't mind opening the box to do something like that. Simple. Firmware upgrades are a different matter if it requires reflashing a chip, or removing an existing chip and installing another. Unless the chip in question is in a plug-in socket. That's no problem to me, either. I agree, though, the features listed recently for Autonomy are great.

I think the scalability of Yggdrasil is one reason Gungnir is having a hard time. If I decide to up my DAC game, I'll have a hard time deciding between Gungnir multi-bit and Yggdrasil GS. If Schiit continues to recycle A1 boards, keep the GS version available, it's hard to imaging Gungnir getting much development time. But that's me and I am smitten by the multi-bit sound I have in my Bifrost. The Gungnir delta-sigma is a fly in my reasoning ointment.

from the youtube yggdrasil assembly / disassembly videos, the analog boards look to be plug-in (just don't offset the blind headers as this might make for a very bad day). also a ribbon header on the underside near the front panel and a whole lotta screws. Firmware updates might present an issue to self-installs...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #75,414 of 151,790
Another B-stock Vali 2+ showed up for sale today, while I wait for my A-stock order. If that one could have made it through the first time it could have been mine!
If you are ever in Frankfurt - get the Hawai Pizza from Foodrockers (I put ground beef, gorgonzola and extra mozzarella on it) everybody who tried it is ordering only that pizza from them now. I works for a simple reason - enzymes in the pineapple help disolve/digest proteins and fat in the cheese and meat, thats why the taste balances out so nicely.
I will try this recipe!

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #75,417 of 151,790
At least this thread has its semi-official sign map of tolerated sub-topics.

Those guys over there can just talk about ANYTHING. It's the wild wild west. (potentially.) Now that Mike's back in the saddle, maybe he'll lasso 'em in.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #75,418 of 151,790
Thank God Mike came back before they moved on to erectile dysfunction talk. 😯

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #75,420 of 151,790
Downward slope, but if it does end up on the upward slope for more than 8 hours, one should probably see a doctor. :smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back