Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #75,092 of 150,484
I built a tube sub. I cut 37 rings and 2 solid pieces out of mdf and glued them together. This is the kit. GR Research Sub 2 kit
As a novice woodworker it was a pain in the ass but it makes for a monster performer. Sometimes I wish I’d gone with a traditional enclosure as it would be more compact and also hold the amp. But I put a lot of sweat into it and it’s uniqueness makes it a keeper for now.
Rythmik Audio also sells a complete version of this combo. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

A good way to DIY a speaker enclosure. But, how much did it end up weighing?

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #75,093 of 150,484

WOW!
Some thoughts:

After the last update to Roon, I was initially pleased with a subtle difference in playback (note: i'm using NO DSP in Roon, in other words my playback quality shows purple). There was a perceived difference in clarity - at first. Extended listening since, especially during long sessions, I found to be fatiguing, something changed. As an experiment today, I decided to listen ONLY to locally stored content (ripped to .WAV using dbPoweramp), and found no issues with fatigue at all.

I decided to setup a quick test: Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" - Green Book. I have this on CD and via Tidal. Note that this is ONLY available on Tidal as MQA.

The difference was noticeable.

Tidal Subscription cancelled

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #75,094 of 150,484
What was your total price with exchange to your door with taxes?

It came out to $968.28 CAD which was just the US price plus shipping converted. It didn't seem to touch CRA hands so no tax or duties which is highly unusual. Normally Fedex calculates and charges that before they release the package. Who knows, maybe that will come through a month from now as a separate invoice?

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #75,095 of 150,484
It came out to $968.28 CAD which was just the US price plus shipping converted. It didn't seem to touch CRA hands so no tax or duties which is highly unusual. Normally Fedex calculates and charges that before they release the package. Who knows, maybe that will come through a month from now as a separate invoice?
Dunno how it's for Canada, but for me the invoice did arrive roughly 1 month later

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #75,096 of 150,484
Hey,

I hate to do it, but I have an audio related question. (Sorry). :nerd:

I know Schiit-Heads tend to focus on headphones. But, I'm curious as to how many speaker users are here? Also, what type/brand?

The reason I ask, is I'm getting the urge to upgrade. While my AR's are great, I want something different. Something phase coherent. KEF or Elac, Magnepan, Martin Logan, even vintage, like Acoustat or Apogee. Looking for feelings on panel speakers. More curious, mainly. I've heard Acoustat and Magnepan, but it's been years. Do the Uni-Q type coaxial speakers compete with those? If I could afford an Alsyvox, I'd do it. Most likely, I'll look for used, since I'm cheap.

Ideas? :thinking:
I mostly listen via speaker. My main living room system has mostly Schiit all around (California Audio Labs ICON CD player, Sol, Roon, Yggdrasil, Freya+, Aegir) with Tekton Designs Electron SE speakers. In my office I have Ragnarok 2 (internal multibit dac) with KEF LS50 (and no subwoofer).

The LS50 are nice, but I wouldn't want them to be my only option as they can be a little fatiguing (on some tracks only). They image nicely, but even most small bookshelf speakers do so. I don't really listen to them much as I greatly prefer my living room system, so have moved my work comper so I can listen there instead of my office.

I am very interested in the Magnapan LRS as the price and reviews are phenomenal. If I had room in my office, I think I would replace the LS50 with the LRS and a subwoofer.

I don't think you can compare the sound of electrostatic like Acoustat with them as they are not that similar sounding. Also, the sweet spot on the Acoustats (I had a room mate with them) is very specific, and just moving your head to reach your drink will give you noticeable change in sound. The LS50 are more forgiving, but don't quite have that electrostatic speed. The speed of electrostatics is phenomenal, lending perceived increase in detail and realism, but they don't seem to give you a realistic explosive attack of a rim shot quite like regular speakers, or especially horn speakers (I used to have JBL).

I have settled on the Tekton speakers because they give me more horn-like explosive dynamics (maybe only 50% more than regular cone speakers) but all the drivers blend into a smoother sound where you can't hear a difference in the sound between the treble and mid range like is common in many horn speakers.

Good luck in your search...mine took 20 years before I found the Tektons which satisfy my taste (will probably get bigger ones after I retire and move).

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #75,097 of 150,484
Dunno how it's for Canada, but for me the invoice did arrive roughly 1 month later

Usually I have to pay the taxes and duties before they release the package. In a few rare instances, I got an invoice a month later but that's more the exception than the norm. I guess we'll see. Either way, I'm happy how fast the shipping was. Bifrost 2 was listed as being 7 to 10 days so they shipped it on the 7th day and I received it on the 8th. LOL.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #75,098 of 150,484
Try the new JBL stuff, or KLH Kendalls.

@StimpyWan If you want to try the KLH Kendalls I have a set I'll sell you for a great price with Zu jumpers.

I love the KLH Kendalls, they are in my upstairs living room. Im running out of room up there, my kid's toys are choking out the room. The Kendalls do everything well but especially excel with treble and vocals.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #75,100 of 150,484
So I just modified an enclosure for my Vali Mini coaster amp. I took a vintage 70s coaster set and am using that as my enclosure. I'm still looking for some knob ideas but there's not a lot of knobbage space to knob very well. Thanks to Schiit for a fun DIY project.

Attachments

• 0C61BBF5-05B1-4BC8-83A3-7F259DAF0E2C.jpeg
    0C61BBF5-05B1-4BC8-83A3-7F259DAF0E2C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D9FBBCDB-89EF-4616-B121-4E7BBF8CA10A.jpeg
    D9FBBCDB-89EF-4616-B121-4E7BBF8CA10A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #75,101 of 150,484
WOW!
Some thoughts:

After the last update to Roon, I was initially pleased with a subtle difference in playback (note: i'm using NO DSP in Roon, in other words my playback quality shows purple). There was a perceived difference in clarity - at first. Extended listening since, especially during long sessions, I found to be fatiguing, something changed. As an experiment today, I decided to listen ONLY to locally stored content (ripped to .WAV using dbPoweramp), and found no issues with fatigue at all.

I decided to setup a quick test: Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" - Green Book. I have this on CD and via Tidal. Note that this is ONLY available on Tidal as MQA.

Tidal Subscription cancelled

The only time I subscribe to Tidal is when they offer those 4 months for $4/£4 promotions.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #75,102 of 150,484
Hey,

I hate to do it, but I have an audio related question. (Sorry). :nerd:

I know Schiit-Heads tend to focus on headphones. But, I'm curious as to how many speaker users are here? Also, what type/brand?

The reason I ask, is I'm getting the urge to upgrade. While my AR's are great, I want something different. Something phase coherent. KEF or Elac, Magnepan, Martin Logan, even vintage, like Acoustat or Apogee. Looking for feelings on panel speakers. More curious, mainly. I've heard Acoustat and Magnepan, but it's been years. Do the Uni-Q type coaxial speakers compete with those? If I could afford an Alsyvox, I'd do it. Most likely, I'll look for used, since I'm cheap.

Ideas? :thinking:
I have Cambridge Audio Minx (10, 11, 20, 21), T+A TLR 20 and Minis (it's _plus_, ppl, not the other word), Vienna Acoustics Waltz and Haydn Grands, B&W M-1 and Janszen zA2.1. The Janszen are just about perfect.

I have owned Maggies and other B&Ws in the past. I've heard Joseph Audios at the DC audio show (man! do they sound good), Volti (didn't like 'em) the really huge KEF silver monoliths (my wife liked those best but refuses to come up with the $200k to buy them for me) and Trenner & Friedl Suns (so small!) at a dealer in NYC.

I only use my headphones for meetings and nighttime TV.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #75,103 of 150,484
As to sound quality, I like open and airy. Not bright, (like Klipsch), but not subdued (think Vandersteen). Again, I like fast sounding speakers with good attack and transient response. Micro detail and dynamics are important. The few times I've heard Magnepan's, put me to sleep (too polite - sorry). So, that's why I'm considering electrostatics or other similar designs, if applicable? Though, I would like to hear some current Magnepan designs too, if dynamics have improved?
Totem Acoustics makes some fantastic gear that should be in your range used. Clean clear sound.
Maybe GoldenEar? They sounded harsh to me when I heard them.

Do you want big floorstanders or monitors to pair with the sub? (The latter is probably more economical)
Also, don't forget about https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-two-channel-clubhouse.843459/

Can you do a kit?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #75,104 of 150,484

It would be interesting to do the same comparison with Qobuz, because what you hear isn't necessarily due to MQA. Record labels have been updating albums in worse sound — louder with more dynamic compression (loudness wars), and they also end up on the streaming services.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #75,105 of 150,484
It would be interesting to do the same comparison with Qobuz, because what you hear isn't necessarily due to MQA. Record labels have been updating albums in worse sound — louder with more dynamic compression (loudness wars), and they also end up on the streaming services.
Yeah also non mqa content seems to sound worse than the "same" Album on CD.

This could have a variety of reasons, but I experienced it several times.
However unless I A/B those tracks it's generally not enough for me to care much about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back