Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #75,121 of 150,184
Yeah also non mqa content seems to sound worse than the "same" Album on CD.

This could have a variety of reasons, but I experienced it several times.
However unless I A/B those tracks it's generally not enough for me to care much about it

I don't have an MQA DAC and couldn't listen to Tidal for more than three days. The video shone a light on why that is (MQA changes their non-MQA content as well). Long video but well worth the watch.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #75,122 of 150,184
What can I say, I like to keep people guessing. :wink:

I'd love to find a pair of Apogee's, even if my amps aren't worthy (yet). As long I get some sound out of them, I'd be happy. Also, a dealer about an hour south of me has a pair of Slant 6's, for $900. I don't know enough about them, to know if they're worth that or not?

I did find a potential pair of Magnepan 1.6/QR's for $225. One panel has some wire delamination, resulting in the low price. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, to see if they're still available?

Still have Kef's and a few other brands under consideration. No rush. Waiting for the right pair to show up.

And finally, thanks to everyone for the suggestions! It's very much appreciated. Now I just wish there were more local dealers where I could hear some of the candidates. I really miss brick and mortar HiFi shops.

Now, back to Spam and BBQ...! :grinning:
The Apogee Cenaurus speakers (Slant 6 and Slant 8) were interesting. Ribbon tweeter/ midrange and dynamic woofer. I've never heard a pair, but if you have the opportunity to hear them seems like you should. I think the Centaurus designs were introduced shortly after Martin-Logan released the Sequel, which was an electrostatic panel with a dynamic woofer.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #75,123 of 150,184
I did find a potential pair of Magnepan 1.6/QR's for $225. One panel has some wire delamination, resulting in the low price. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, to see if they're still available?
Magnepan has a home trial. Maybe you can try them out? I loved mine when I had them. Nothing sounds as much like live acoustic music.
Also, given that the least expensive Maggie is only $650 new I don't feel those 1.6/QR are a deal.

When I got back into 2ch music, I looked long and hard for something similar. Hence Janszen.

The Janszen are electrostatic in a box which means they don't have to be out in the middle of the room for best sound. In my room (335x78x109 inches, cinderblock) they play loud and low (measured to 20Hz with REW). The coherency top-to-bottom, the speed, the accuracy is a beautiful thing to hear.
If you're near Columbus, OH that's where they are made.

P.S. Legacy Audio also makes some really good bass-friendly speakers. The Studio HD monitors put out a surprising amount of bass.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #75,124 of 150,184
I need some help from some IT-savvy folks. I don't want to hijack the thread with something not on the sine-wave, so I'd appreciate a PM. I need to expand my storage and need some advice about external hard drives (SAS? SATA? 2.5"? 3.5"?) and racks/ back planes.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #75,126 of 150,184
The reason I ask, is I'm getting the urge to upgrade. While my AR's are great, I want something different. Something phase coherent. KEF or Elac, Magnepan, Martin Logan, even vintage, like Acoustat or Apogee. Looking for feelings on panel speakers. More curious, mainly. I've heard Acoustat and Magnepan, but it's been years. Do the Uni-Q type coaxial speakers compete with those? If I could afford an Alsyvox, I'd do it. Most likely, I'll look for used, since I'm cheap.
I have long been a Tannoy dual-concentric user, always bought 2nd hand to keep the spending somewhat in check, and love the point source, dynamics and efficiency they bring. Vintage Tannoys can get very expensive, but I bought my current 15" duals, ex a recording studio for a song - around $1200 USD. The downside with the 15" is the size, but as I have the space, and an understanding accommodating wife, it's OK for me.

Recently got another Vidar in da house, and now run a dual mono Vidar config to the Tannoys and am mighty impressed.

I have also heard the KEF LSX and LS50s and also love their point source configuration and imaging.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #75,127 of 150,184
It would be interesting to do the same comparison with Qobuz, because what you hear isn't necessarily due to MQA. Record labels have been updating albums in worse sound — louder with more dynamic compression (loudness wars), and they also end up on the streaming services.
Agreed! That's one reason I selected that album, to my knowledge - only the original release. Differences I heard (undoubtedly influenced by the Video at this point, I'll readily admit);
Steely Dan | Everything Must Go | The Last Mall: snare sounds very quick, sharp, snappy on Tidal - at first blush leading one to think better transients, on CD certainly crisp, but noticeably different, more "body" and space. Backround vocals, more sibilance on Tidal, on CD less so, but I was easily able to place them in space on CD, a bit of a blur on Tidal. Listening again I found the CD version much better overall balance and presented image. Again this over Modi / Feya S/ Mono Vidars / Apogee Duetta Signatures .....

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #75,128 of 150,184
Can you do a kit?
That's a good option to get a great set of speakers much cheaper than retail. I just built some for my office (The Speaker Project in Australia) and am blown away by the quality on offer ... just requires some time and effort. The kit I bought had literally *everything* you needed ... including a soldering iron and glue gun to build the crossovers.

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #75,129 of 150,184
I've been thinking about KEF's. I've read up on most of their current models. All seem worthy. Though, I have to admit, stand mounted speakers might work best for me, or very tall designs.
Hum... your preferences definitely smell KEF. You could start with LS50s (the original, not any of the fancy powered ones). They are fast and airy. They were the first speakers I had on a fully digital system, and they were a great starting point. I heard a lot of other KEF speakers later when we moved to a bigger place. Q and A series were meh. But Reference, a different story, the only convincing improvement over the LS50s, but way, way pricier. So, LS50s with your current amplification. Or with a Ragnarok, which allegedly pairs beautifully with the LS50s.

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #75,130 of 150,184
The LS50 are nice, but I wouldn't want them to be my only option as they can be a little fatiguing (on some tracks only).
Impressions vary, for sure. I loved mine but eventually they were not up to the larger space(s) we moved into. Not tiring at all, but of course there's music choice too: mainly modern small ensemble jazz and classical, some orchestral and world, no rock, fairly well selected recordings from good studios (think ECM).

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #75,131 of 150,184
MQA seems to be a way to make some people very rich....IMO.
I don't know about "very." The audiophool segment who prefer MQA is likely pretty small in size and spending power compared with 1) the great majority who doesn't give a rat's behind for anything beyond MP3, and 2) those who buy the highest-priced gear. Sure, they'll make some $$$ off the marks phools, but that's in the same ballpark as fancy cable vendors.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #75,133 of 150,184
I don't know about "very." The audiophool segment who prefer MQA is likely pretty small in size and spending power compared with 1) the great majority who doesn't give a rat's behind for anything beyond MP3, and 2) those who buy the highest-priced gear. Sure, they'll make some $$$ off the marks phools, but that's in the same ballpark as fancy cable vendors.
MQA seems to be a way to make some people very rich....IMO.
I'll will never get the hang of this multiquote thing. I quoted two posts, but they are in wrong order.
Responding to earnmyturns, I hope you are right. But, there is a company that makes mostly "economy" gear that also grossed $4 Billion in 2019. That amount maybe be more than 50% of the audio/surround sound market, meaning they gross more than all the other companies combined. I read that about this company some years ago.
I'm talking about Bose. Other companies that are very big that offer low value, in my opinion: McDonalds, Hostess (see Twinkies), any cable company, (but they are often a local monopoly), most airlines...
Offering low value can still mean market dominance or a large slice of the pie.

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #75,134 of 150,184
Hel 2 - a thing of beauty and sounds amazing too 🎧🔥👌
IMG_0861.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back