Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #75,078 of 150,438
Hey,

I hate to do it, but I have an audio related question. (Sorry). :nerd:

I know Schiit-Heads tend to focus on headphones. But, I'm curious as to how many speaker users are here? Also, what type/brand?

The reason I ask, is I'm getting the urge to upgrade. While my AR's are great, I want something different. Something phase coherent. KEF or Elac, Magnepan, Martin Logan, even vintage, like Acoustat or Apogee. Looking for feelings on panel speakers. More curious, mainly. I've heard Acoustat and Magnepan, but it's been years. Do the Uni-Q type coaxial speakers compete with those? If I could afford an Alsyvox, I'd do it. Most likely, I'll look for used, since I'm cheap.

Ideas? :thinking:

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #75,079 of 150,438
Hey,

I know Schiit-Heads tend to focus on headphones. But, I'm curious as to how many speaker users are here? Also, what type/brand?

The reason I ask, is I'm getting the urge to upgrade. While my AR's are great, I want something different. Something phase coherent. KEF or Elac, Magnepan, Martin Logan, even vintage, like Acoustat or Apogee. Looking for feelings on panel speakers. More curious, mainly. I've heard Acoustat and Magnepan, but it's been years. Do the Uni-Q type coaxial speakers compete with those? If I could afford an Alsyvox, I'd do it. Most likely, I'll look for used, since I'm cheap.

I don't use any of those you mention but I use a pair of Zu Essence floorstanders powered by a single Vidar. Phase coherence is what my system was designed for.

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #75,080 of 150,438
Hey,

Patos lyric 402

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #75,081 of 150,438
Hey,

how large is the room, and how loud do you usually listen?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #75,085 of 150,438
I got a Fedex shipping notification for my Bifrost 2 on April 13th and received it on the 14th. This is to Canada too. A record time for me since it sailed right through Customs without any stopping which usually adds a day or two.
What was your total price with exchange to your door with taxes?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #75,086 of 150,438
Hey,

I've had both Martin Logan electrostats and currently run KEFs.

The Martin Logans were really good sounding...but hard to get thumping bass out of, even in their hybrid models. Plan on getting subs if that's your thing. Electrostats and other planar speakers can also have very low impedances, so plan accordingly for amplification.

KEFs with their Uni-Q image and soundstage very well too - better than the other box speakers I've had (PSB, Monitor Audio).

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #75,087 of 150,438
Great room size. What is your amp, and whats your sweet spot for speakers, budget wise, and how low do you want the speakers to go? Subs?

My gear isn't exotic. A recapped Adcom GFA-5400, and an Acurus A-150. I use a Schiit Saga 1 preamp. Mainly digital audio, through a Sony UBP-X1100es player. The Sony feeds my Bifrost 1 MB. I also use the analog outs on the Sony for SACD support. If needed, I have a Sonographe SG-3 turntable with a Grado Signature 8MZ cartridge, through a Music Hall phono pre.

Budget, I'm not sure, but $1500 max (cheap, I know). That amount of money does support some decent used speakers.

Response doesn't matter that much. I'm weird. I'm not a treble guy, I'm a bass guy. If the bass isn't tight and fast, with good timbre, I'd rather have less bass than boomy one-note bass. Plus, I do have an M&K sub, that I can use, if the need arises.

As to sound quality, I like open and airy. Not bright, (like Klipsch), but not subdued (think Vandersteen). Again, I like fast sounding speakers with good attack and transient response. Micro detail and dynamics are important. The few times I've heard Magnepan's, put me to sleep (too polite - sorry). So, that's why I'm considering electrostatics or other similar designs, if applicable? Though, I would like to hear some current Magnepan designs too, if dynamics have improved?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #75,088 of 150,438
I've had both Martin Logan electrostats and currently run KEFs.

The Martin Logans were really good sounding...but hard to get thumping bass out of, even in their hybrid models. Plan on getting subs if that's your thing. Electrostats and other planar speakers can also have very low impedances, so plan accordingly for amplification.

KEFs with their Uni-Q image and soundstage very well too - better than the other box speakers I've had (PSB, Monitor Audio).

Thanks.

I've been thinking about KEF's. I've read up on most of their current models. All seem worthy. Though, I have to admit, stand mounted speakers might work best for me, or very tall designs. My "room" is the bedroom. My "listening chair" is the bed. So, I need decent tweeter height to get to ear level...! :grin:

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #75,089 of 150,438

Response doesn't matter that much. I'm weird. I'm not a treble guy, I'm a bass guy. If the bass isn't tight and fast, with good timbre, I'd rather have less bass than boomy one-note bass. Plus, I do have an M&K sub, that I can use, if the need arises.

As to sound quality, I like open and airy. Not bright, (like Klipsch), but not subdued (think Vandersteen). Again, I like fast sounding speakers with good attack and transient response. Micro detail and dynamics are important. The few times I've heard Magnepan's, put me to sleep (too polite - sorry). So, that's why I'm considering electrostatics or other similar designs, if applicable? Though, I would like to hear some current Magnepan designs too, if dynamics have improved?
Try the new JBL stuff, or KLH Kendalls.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #75,090 of 150,438
I built a tube sub. I cut 37 rings and 2 solid pieces out of mdf and glued them together. This is the kit. GR Research Sub 2 kit
As a novice woodworker it was a pain in the ass but it makes for a monster performer. Sometimes I wish I’d gone with a traditional enclosure as it would be more compact and also hold the amp. But I put a lot of sweat into it and it’s uniqueness makes it a keeper for now.
Rythmik Audio also sells a complete version of this combo. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back