Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #74,446 of 149,294
“OMG, Arglebargle is coming out with a new DAC! GOTTA GET IT!”

I've seen Arglebargle used several times in the thread.

Is it short for "argey bargey"? That is noisy quarreling or wrangling?

OR

Is it "argle-bargle morble whoosh"? I bet someone here gets this reference without googling.

Nice update, thank you @Jason Stoddard

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #74,447 of 149,294
I have reached the peak...what am I supposed to do with my free time now?

My HEL hasn't shipped yet,

/"tapping foot"
/"looking at watch"

FWP, right?

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #74,448 of 149,294
For further reading on the topics brought up in the last post, you may want to look at

The Upside of Irrationality (Dan Ariely)
Predictably Irrational (Dan Ariely)
Nudge (Richard Thaler)
And for a more scientific approach:
Systems Thinking, Systems Practice (Peter Checkland)
General Systems Theory (Ludwig von Bertalanffy)
Toward a Psychology of Being (Abraham Maslow)

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #74,451 of 149,294
I had an experience just recently that made me scratch my head a bit about my own emotional bias and just how strong it is. After recently getting into speakers and vinyl, I've been going after a small collection of records. Got myself a good pressing of In Utero and listened to it when I got it. Stellar. Amazing album, 10/10. I've heard it many many times already. Analog is nice.
About a week later I listened to it and was *floored* by how much I was enjoying it. As in, suddenly this may be my favorite album of all time levels of enjoyment - I couldn't get enough. Later that very same day, after some chores and a nap, I put it back on... and, you know, just... wasn't feeling it. This made me a bit irritated because I was SURE this had been the best thing I've listened to in months, but no, no it wasn't. Not at that moment.
No change in equipment.
Just time.
Just mood.
Don't let that 3lb ball of sentient pudding in your skull convince you it's always right, because man, it is NOT.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #74,456 of 149,294
I actually appreciate this statement, and have read the link. The thing is, a email with actual information would be lovely, rather than having to make points and argue over the internet. A lot of us have other priorities in life with many factors and something as tiny as a bloody amp can make a lot of things better. The fact that receiving template responses really grinds my gears. I dont follow anything, so Im not going to be constantly looking for updates on forums in regards to something. My post was in fact to get a few laughs while venting. As people do on the internet, they get furious and believe companies are like cults. We must follow them to the edge of the world because you know they keep us alive, pay for our rents and so on. The fact that its been changed due to what ever reason at some point in time and getting the same template response each time is really really frustrating
Hi, I am in this planning and supply chain sch*t. It is my job and I get paid to do the job. I can tell you that there are situations where for months I just can’t give correct information. Very unpleasant because trust me, those people hired to give this information actually like to service the person with that information need. For in depths PM me. Most important is that you feel treated with respect and get sincere answers. I think the response of @Jason Stoddard showed that.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #74,458 of 149,294
Is the only advantage to using a sys in this fashion over just splitting the lines that you can cut the other output? Seems like for most use cases, simple RCA splitters would be the better choice.

I will confess that, as an electrical engineer, I'm a pretty good goldfish.

It's not entirely clear to me, that if 2 amps are turned on and connected to a source via a split RCA cable, that the impedance loads & equipment interactions & whatnot of Source:Amp1 isn't also going to have compound interactions so to speak with the Source:Amp2 interactions/synergies/whatnot, and vice versa.

And that might or might not be an issue even if is one amp is powered off, there could be some passive effects.

Using SYS as the middle man switch, I assume that the connectivity trail goes to Amp1 or to Amp2, but never to both.

And so I don't worry my goldfish head with expanding permutations of bad things that could be happening down in electronville. In other words, the 2nd SYS as an output switcher is cheap insurance against the risk that my head would explode. (Or, worse, that I would have to do some serious studying.)

EDIT/ADD: Also ... I already HAD two SYSes. I don't have any decent quality RCA splitter cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back