Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #74,476 of 149,153
I am clearly an objectivist. I choose tubes by their physical volume, because that gives the music more room to swim around in, increasing soundstage, and everyone is happy when they’re swimming!
You must need these then (KR Audio)

1617250124867.png

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #74,479 of 149,153
"Or, you can take this TL;DR summary of where we’re coming from:
  1. Differences between audio components are much smaller than most audiophiles make them out to be, at least to the majority of listeners.
  2. There are, however, differences that aren’t readily explained in terms of one frequency, one measurement, one number, and these differences may matter to some listeners."
"Well, there it is"
1617200400488.png
Too many notes... (take that now-punny phrase any way you want!).

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #74,482 of 149,153
Sharing is caring.... Again, the other night, wife and I were watching something on TV (may have been the most recent episode of The Blacklist), and again, a song caught our ears. That was a very bluesy, bass-y track called “Chains” from Avi Kaplan’s debut EP called ”I’ll get By”. Blues, some trends folk-y, but killer harmonies - he was the original bass-baritone for Pentatonix. Totally recommend!

promise, all my new music doesn’t come from the tube.... But the revived trend of using current music on shows bothers me not. I found Snow Patrol on Grey’s Anatomy back in Season 1...

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #74,484 of 149,153
I have been very happy with Jason's writings about subjectivism vs objectivism.

I think this blog by Darko is a nice addition to the discussion: Mother, should I build a wall?

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #74,485 of 149,153
This chapter reminds me of why I dislike the ASR forum so much. Listening to the gear is barely even an afterthought for Amir and his ilk. I wonder if he buys his vehicles solely on the basis of torque/horsepower graphs.
I think you need to read Jason’s chapter again and perhaps listen to this interview:

Open. Your. Mind. 🤪

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #74,486 of 149,153
Amir could've taken the money he spent on testing gear to build gear, but he didn't. In my imagination Schiit invested less in starting an audiophile company than Amir spent on a piece of testing equipment (retail $100k, he says he got a deal).

Who is doing more for the community?
Which community?

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #74,488 of 149,153
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #74,489 of 149,153
Hot damn this thread is long, great read though, very amusing.
I tried reading back a while and searching, but I don't think this has been asked before:

I ordered a Hel 2 last week, and I am wondering why it hasn't been shipped yet.... /s :)

No, the real question is: I live in europe, so the wall wart is not going to work. Can I just use a phone charger? I have several with 2.0A (so not the 2.1 schiit delivers). Now I am no believer in the snakeoil extra expensive lineair stuff, but I am also unsure if those cheap chargers could be bad with noise etc (I simply don't have the knowledge there honestly). I could also use a travel adapter, but I am unsure if the 230/110V is going to be a problem. I am also fine with buying a seperate adapter, but unsure which one. I don't think schiit has EU wall-usb adapters (at least I couldn't find them).

Looking forward to try my first schiit. Comming from a mixamp / fiio E18 this must be a pretty hefty upgrade :D

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #74,490 of 149,153
Hot damn this thread is long, great read though, very amusing.
I tried reading back a while and searching, but I don't think this has been asked before:

I ordered a Hel 2 last week, and I am wondering why it hasn't been shipped yet.... /s :)

No, the real question is: I live in europe, so the wall wart is not going to work. Can I just use a phone charger? I have several with 2.0A (so not the 2.1 schiit delivers). I could also use a travel adapter, but I am unsure if the 230/110V is going to be a problem. I am also fine with buying a seperate adapter, but unsure which one. I don't think schiit has EU wall-usb adapters (at least I couldn't find them).

Thanks!

I don't see why a phone charger wouldn't work as long as it supplies enough current. A decent 3rd party USB charger should supply 2.4A per socket, at least all my Anker ones do anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back