Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #74,028 of 150,788
The Wall St. Journal had a comparison between a Tesla and Rav4. From my memory (yes, I know it was yesterday) @ 100,000 miles the Tesla is much cheaper to own and it has a smaller carbon footprint. At 50,000 miles, the entire carbon footprint (manufacturing, etc) is higher for the Tesla and the cost to own is less with the Rav4....

I wonder how it translates at 150k, 200k, after the quality of manufacturing and quality of components is on full display.

I look forward to owning a Tesla someday. Maybe their pickup. My winters are long, rough, and very very cold. I wonder how a person goes about being a long term tester.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #74,031 of 150,788
How can the Tesla carbon footprint be higher than a Rav 4? Gee, the cost to build the cars in terms of carbon footprint should be the same. Yes, there is mining for the batteries, but what about drilling for the oil, the refinement to make gas, the transportation of the gas from refineries to gas stations, the operation of gas stations, fuel leakage from underground tanks, fumes that escape each time you fill the tank. Oh and tail pipe emmisions. I guess if you exclude all these, maybe It is close, maybe. You can charge your car from solar too. Try that with an ICE car. Geez.....

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #74,033 of 150,788
Round (well, cylindrical) subs can be lighter for the same output. Something about the tube requiring less bracing.
I have 2 from OSD (dirt cheap ones) and they're not bad. Not good, but not bad either.
I get that, but they are round pegs is a world of square boxes. They look weird. :) Bazooka made a whole company out of building cylindrical subs for cars. I think Hsu Research also made cylindrical subs.

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #74,034 of 150,788
With all the talk about EVs, is there actually a consensus how much cleaner they are than combustion engines with comparable power? Now, don't state that they have zero emissions. The emissions are somewhere else (the power plant). Of course, the "cleanliness" of EVs will depend to a large extent on the mix of power generation used to feed the grid. So there will be many variables. But still, is there a reasonable comparison?
And I am wondering: what are we going to do with all those batteries?!?

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #74,035 of 150,788
I get that, but they are round pegs is a world of square boxes. They look weird. :) Bazooka made a whole company out of building cylindrical subs for cars. I think Hsu Research also made cylindrical subs.
I know the sub in my car is a "cylinder", the Germans made the housing to fit inside the compact spare so you have the sub and spare on the same post saving space in the truck.

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #74,036 of 150,788
something planned for this week, and another announcement a few weeks from now (note the Folkvangr, and Urd mass production not imminent and won't be available for sale for a while-- Folkvangr still has some mechanical design & manufacturability issues to be resolved but electronics portion is basically designed)
Someone should start and maintain a list of all upcoming Schiit products... I have no idea what the Folkvangr and Urd would end up being - headphone amp / speaker amp / DAC / integrated amp / etc.

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #74,037 of 150,788
This is the car I once desired (only in Candy Apple Red):

I have a buddy who is a contractor for NASA working on Gateway. He texted me something the other day which got us talking about rockets. I told him rockets are cool and we should power our cars with rockets. Lots of power and sustainable fuel source (for H/O rockets).

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #74,038 of 150,788
Apropos of the car stereo thread, this concept just came out...
Screen Shot 4.png

lp.jpg

car record player 2.jpg

Nice. Innovation at it's best!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #74,039 of 150,788
Someone should start and maintain a list of all upcoming Schiit products... I have no idea what the Folkvangr and Urd would end up being - headphone amp / speaker amp / DAC / integrated amp / etc.
Best way is from the horses mouth. Aka going to Jason’s profile and looking at recent activity.

Folkvangr - 10 tube headphone amp
Tyr - mobo speaker amp
Urd - CD Transport / digital hub (has USB inputs). Also Schiit’s first product with a screen and USB-C.
Loki Max - balanced EQ with presets.

Sounds like they have a few more in the works as well :wink:

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #74,040 of 150,788
With Tyr coming, does anyone else find themselves looking at speaker upgrades to justify buying two Tyrs? 1.7i's seem like a good match
Yup. I am telling to my wife that if I get two Tyrs I need to “justify” it by buying bigger speakers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back