Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #74,041 of 151,571
Back when electric cars were first being considered for "real" production, I'd heard the big savings in emissions would come from trading millions of individual emission sources for a few big and highly regulated emission sources (the electrical power plants). Also, on a thermodynamic basis (# Btus of useful work output / # Btus burned), big power plants are more efficient than a car, so there's that.

I've never bothered to try to do the math on any of that. Qualitatively, I agree with @Ableza's thought: other emissions "costs" (additional fossil fuel mining for more electricity generation, more mining for electronic raw materials, more manufacturing pollution from building new components, etc) of electric vehicles will ultimately be offset by other existing industries shrinking in output.

Side note: there are a lot of hurdles for renewable/ sustainable (or whatever buzzword you want to use) energy, but none of them will survive clever people applying the correct technology for the right circumstance (e.g. solar in Phoenix but perhaps not Seattle, geothermal in Reykjavik but not Houston).
The key is going to be global energy storage!

Interesting link:
https://m.energytrend.com/news/20181114-12622.html

Think, for example using deep old mine holes with the same concept.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #74,042 of 151,571
The batteries aren't 'owned' they are like propane tanks. Are those owned? Never use propane.
I use Propane becuase there is no reticulated natural gas where I live, so have 2 x 45kg tanks out the back of the house feeding the stovetop. Not owned, pay an annual "rental" fee that includes delivery of replacement tanks, and then the cost of the gas.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #74,043 of 151,571
I get that, but they are round pegs is a world of square boxes. They look weird. :) Bazooka made a whole company out of building cylindrical subs for cars. I think Hsu Research also made cylindrical subs.
SVS got started that way and still offer them. Hsu did at one time. Now OSD, well known manufacturer of frog-shaped speakers has decided to carry on the tradition.

I don't like the big black cubes, personally. Only thing big and black I want in my home is the 2001 Monolith esp. if it doubles as a TV as well as its usual role as a window into another universe :)

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #74,050 of 151,571
I don't have neighbors. And my wife has said I can do whatever I want with the stereo....
Lucky you @AudioGal . My better half would not go for that but that brief looks interesting @tincanear . My love is resigned to the fact that my LRSs are staying in the rotation though!...

My neighbors like coming over to experience the system and they are not close enough to for me to disturb them if they are not present!

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #74,052 of 151,571
With all the talk about EVs, is there actually a consensus how much cleaner they are than combustion engines with comparable power? Now, don't state that they have zero emissions. The emissions are somewhere else (the power plant). Of course, the "cleanliness" of EVs will depend to a large extent on the mix of power generation used to feed the grid. So there will be many variables. But still, is there a reasonable comparison?
There was a great analysis of the benefits of EVs in the Wall Street Journal yesterday (3/22/21). It said that EVs cause more green house gas during production but move into a tie with gas engines around 20,000 miles, considering everything. Then, EVs advance, ultimately producing about half the carbon footprint of a gas engine over the car's lifetime.

So, yes, EVs are significantly better, but not quite as much much as you would expect.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #74,053 of 151,571
I don't have neighbors. And my wife has said I can do whatever I want with the stereo....

She sounds like a keeper!

My wife is the same way. Basically our convos go as follows. "Are bills paid? yep. Kids clothed and fed? Yep. You buying me flowers and wine? Yep. Ok, honey, you work hard, you buy all the whisky and stereo equipment you want. I just want you to be happy and enjoy your hobbies."

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #74,054 of 151,571
Mar 23, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #74,055 of 151,571
I know the sub in my car is a "cylinder", the Germans made the housing to fit inside the compact spare so you have the sub and spare on the same post saving space in the truck.
My audi has that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back