Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #74,057 of 149,328
The Wall St. Journal had a comparison between a Tesla and Rav4. From my memory (yes, I know it was yesterday) @ 100,000 miles the Tesla is much cheaper to own and it has a smaller carbon footprint. At 50,000 miles, the entire carbon footprint (manufacturing, etc) is higher for the Tesla and the cost to own is less with the Rav4....
If that’s true and something that matters to you, buy a Toyota.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #74,058 of 149,328
Of course comparing a high end luxury sport saloon car to a mid level economy Crossover SUV is pretty innane. If they want to compare apples to apples they should look at the Model S vs some v8 powered mild luxury car that costs north of $130k and can do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #74,059 of 149,328
Yep, mine is a VW but the number of Audi logos on the parts is hilarious.

Speaking of combustion vs electric....I read today that Audi/VW is no longer developing new combustion engines.... They will refine and improve existing models, but new designs are focused on electric....

Maybe an electric Golf GTI with plaid seats will be on the market when i look for a new car in a year or two...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #74,060 of 149,328
Speaking of combustion vs electric....I read today that Audi/VW is not longer developing new combustion engines.... They will refine and improve existing models, but new designs are focused on electric....

Maybe an electric Golf GTI with plaid seats will be on the market when i look for a new car in a year or two...
I don't plan on replacing mine until post 2030 but I doubt the Golf platform will be electric for the next 6-7 years, they just went to Mark 8 in 2020 model year, so fair few years left in the model series.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #74,062 of 149,328
I don't plan on replacing mine until post 2030 but I doubt the Golf platform will be electric for the next 6-7 years, they just went to Mark 8 in 2020 model year, so fair few years left in the model series.
The Golf may well be out of production around then, or at least no longer sold in the US. The ID.3 and variants will have replaced it. Good chance there'll be dual motor AWD ID.3s within the next 2-3 years, including R-type stealth racers. Whether they'll be sold in the US by then is anyone's guess, however, since Americans are pretty stubborn about preferring slightly larger crossovers like the ID.4 than smaller hatchbacks. I hope it shows up on our shores by 2024, though.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #74,063 of 149,328
Yep, I know some plants are planning ahead for green points by going electric on items that used to be fossil fuel based (mechanical vacuum pumps vs steam ejectors and a boiler for example). Looking at burning blue or green hydrogen (blue as a bridge to green) instead of natural gas, etc.

Nowadays VW "premium" is a Fender branded... ?Panasonic?
I believe Shell (together with another company) is developing an electrical furnace (or was it just a boiler?). Things are moving....

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #74,064 of 149,328
There was a great analysis of the benefits of EVs in the Wall Street Journal yesterday (3/22/21). It said that EVs cause more green house gas during production but move into a tie with gas engines around 20,000 miles, considering everything. Then, EVs advance, ultimately producing about half the carbon footprint of a gas engine over the car's lifetime.

So, yes, EVs are significantly better, but not quite as much much as you would expect.
This analysis: EV and ICE compared

Interesting read!

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #74,065 of 149,328
The Sol made it to the Stereophile Recommended Components list, B grade (The next best thing to the very best sound reproduction), https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2021-edition-turntables.

I have not checked if other Schiit has made the list. ...Aegir made the A grade (Best attainable sound for a component of its kind, almost without practical considerations; "the least musical compromise." A Class A system is one for which, with the best recordings, you don't have to make a leap of faith to believe that you're hearing the real thing), 2 channel power amplifier list.
Ragnarok 2 is in the list too.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #74,067 of 149,328
Of course comparing a high end luxury sport saloon car to a mid level economy Crossover SUV is pretty innane. If they want to compare apples to apples they should look at the Model S vs some v8 powered mild luxury car that costs north of $130k and can do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds.
And very important in the comparison is the way the electricity is made! I guess when made with burning coal it might be worse quickly.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #74,069 of 149,328
Just because it is printed in the WSJ doesn’t mean it is true.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ndreds-of-times-more-waste-than-electric-cars
I find it amusing that the WSJ, well-known defender of the status quo, is being held up as the last word on the merits of a new technology.

Just the slant noted by @Ableza should automatically disqualify it from serious consideration.
Any analysis from Scientific American? Technology Review? Science News? Popular Mechanics?

Personally, I like the EVs I've had. Are they ready for everyone? No. OTOH, if all city dwellers drove one instead of ICE there'd be immediate benefits:
  • Less traffic noise.
  • Higher air quality
  • More disposable income. This comes in 2 flavors
    • EVs are a least a little more cost-efficient to the owner (cheaper maintenance, cheaper fuel)
    • Taking the citizenry's money and sending it to far-off lands to pay for fossil fuels would be greatly diminished. More money in the local economy means better quality of life

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #74,070 of 149,328
11199440.jpg
Beautiful cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back